Type R Upgrade | TB DD x4 | Maker X DV6 | Glyphiks deck/enclosure combo | 12S5P Samsung 40T

Time to start my next build thread. This is a massive upgrade from my ‘L Plates’ build which taught me some important lessons that will hopefully stand me in good stead on this build :crossed_fingers:

@glyphiks got me started on this build by labouring away on an awesome deck/enclosure combo (pinched a few of his pics, hope you don’t mind Al). I absolutely love this deck/enclosure combo and I know it gave Glyphiks all sorts of grief but am extremely happy with the outcome!!!

I was going to use my Carvlab Type R 4wd Direct drive setup but ended up pulling the trigger on a 4wd Torqueboards DD instead. Hopefully they’ll be on the way very soon.

I will be running two Maker X DV6s and using Loop keys for the time being with 3D printed panel mounts. I got the design file off this forum so thanks to the legend who shared. I presume the XT90 plug is simply glued to the inside of the panel mount?

The 12S5P Samsung 40T battery was built by Marsen Energy in Perth Australia. It will be delivered tomorrow and has a charge only BMS. I think I’ll put in some INL fuses on each side to protect the battery/esc. I still need to purchase these so any suggestions then please fire away. I also need to work out how and where to install them :thinking: EDIT: NO INL FUSES NOW DUE TO RECOMMENDATIONS AGAINST. THANKS :blush:

I will need to drill holes in my fibreglass enclosure very soon which I’m super nervous about haha. The cables will be run through the plugs shown in pics.

Going with BKB NRF51 BLE as worked well with VESC tool on my ‘L Plates’ build.

I’m calling this Type R upgrade even though the only components left from my Type R will be the top truck plates to mount lights. The CarvLabType R got me excited about 4wd direct drives so seems fair I hang on to my roots haha.

16 Likes

Nice! I don’t recommend fusing the ESC, the only thing you should fuse is the charge port.

For the XT-90’s ya you can just epoxy them into those printed pieces

5 Likes

Do note that those ESCs use 6mm bullets but TB direct drives use 5.5mm, so the fit may be loose. This will be an interesting build to follow, I hope you chose black wheels for a super stealth look :smiley: 4WD DD should be silent yet deadly :yum:

@glyphiks That enclosure looks absolutely gorgeous, great work!

4 Likes

Looks great, for the loopkey housing, theres a little hole, put a small screw through to secure the plug to the housing

2 Likes

Interested to know your reasoning. I wanted to protect the battery from a possible malfunctioning ESC so thought putting a 250amp Inline fuse from battery to each ESC would help??

The only thing worse than ruining your ESCs is loosing brakes and ruining your body…it’s a lot better to buy a new ESC than a new body

4 Likes

Yeah I’m aware of this but have tbe 6mm bullets that I can solder to motor phase wires. I’m hoping my soldering skills have improved enough to do this properly haha. I got a new 80W iron that seems to be much better than what I was using previously.

And yes I’ve gone black on wheels too :blush:

2 Likes

Ah yes, this makes sense. I do have two dual ESCs though as running 4wd. What are the chances of both ESCs going at once? I guess if one malfunctions the CAN connection may also fail? I’ll definitely forgo the fuses if this is not the done thing.

Depending on the ESC and the robustness of the CAN chip circuits you can brick the slave by disconnecting power to it while the master is running, it’s a big issue with the VESC-X/FocBox1.3/FocBox1.6 AFAIK

1 Like

No worries. Thanks for the info. No fuse it is :+1:

Regardless, even if only two went out, I think the jolt of loosing acceleration or braking could be enough to throw you if you are unsuspecting.

And like Zach said, you wouldn’t want the fuse to fail somehow unexpectedly

1 Like

What enclosure is that? Did Al make it?

2 Likes

@Skyart Custom enclosure made by @glyphiks

3 Likes

I had to fight the hordes of Skatan, but it was done.

8 Likes

Dude what can’t you do anymore? I’m in awe of your talent

3 Likes

Money and silicone. I can’t be trusted with either of those things.

7 Likes

Gotta jump in here to give props to @glyphiks for this work. That board is dead sexy and having seen it (in pics) on the bench, it’s cool to see I also now get to see the build. And a worthy build it is!
Al. This turned out amazing. Like, fucking amazing. Look forward to seeing the build @JeffyJ, gonna be :fire:

3 Likes

Cheers guys.

Really looking forward to seeing this build completed, I know it’s been a long time coming for @JeffyJ

4wd TBDDs is gonna be so much fun, and they’re gonna suit that deck perfectly. Hopefully it sits nice without much need for any risers.

3 Likes

Man it hurts me to say it but I’ll need to put a riser on that beautifully fitted enclosure :disappointed_relieved:. Battery pack is just too thick and I didn’t account for the lovely curve of the deck. Just gave the enclosure to Marsen to work with. Not the end of the world but will take away from the aesthetics. I’ll use rubber and contour to fit.
This will in turn likely result in me needing to add a riser to trucks. Have to see what the clearance is.

1 Like

Damn! How thick is the battery? I thought I allowed like 25mm in there.