Tynee Explorer Discussion

Hard to buy on their own now but I stocked up with a few for future boards haha.

huh I thought these were them, but it seems they’re just using “caliber” in the name

1 Like

On Caliber II they were Blood Orange, then Venom started making the plug caliber bushings a while after as an aftermarket optional purchase… and the Gangster Gold colourway of Caliber II came with the Venom version as a special edition.

With Caliber III they switched to Venom completely.

With it being my favourite RKP truck I have closely watched, read about and rode them.

1 Like

I just received my juicebox range extender from @Skyart and I’ll be installing it along with the wiring harness that he made for on my tynee explorer. I’ll probably start a new thread but I’m pretty excited. It’s a 12s5p and this, in theory, should double my range, at a minimum.

2 Likes

Finally got @Skyart 's juicebox wired up. Routing was a bit of a pain and there were a few gotchas with Tynee’s use of non standard bullet connectors that required some modifications. overall, it was an easy mod to do and I highly recommend skyart’s services if you want a range extender. He also built the harness.

4 Likes

I’ll be installing the DKPs on Explorer this weekend with stock bushings. Once I break them in I’ll definitely try the Venom hpf bushings so I can get an idea of difference between them.Thanks. I have to admit the TKP trucks are good and I did install stiffer riptides not sure what durameter they are. Dark grey. Just stiffer with better rebound. I still get a strange push from rear end after quickly letting off throttle going over 25mph. As if one wheel is slowing faster but iv checked everything and don’t see any difference in resistance on each rear wheel drive assy. it has to be flex in board or maybe ESC is pushinh one wheel a few seconds longer than the other once throttle is released. Or my stance to overcome the torque. Hard to say.

1 Like

If I had the cash I’d definitely get a bamboo Hurricane. Just have to be patient. Not really happy about them going with different cells. The molicel has a little more capacity than the ones available on that board. Range may take a hit. After riding the carbon the Explorer feels sooo good!!! It glides over bumps.

1 Like

Exactly. No Molicels was the deal breaker on the hurricane for me. It’s the primary reason I went with for the explorer plus the esc. The p42a are worth the hype. The voltage display on the remote really helps you work out how much juice is left in the pack. The explorer has gone down again in price. So tempted to buy again so I can have street and pneumatic boards on tap.

Im looking at an explorer as a board next year.
Are thr hubs really plastic, and not metal?
I saw a review, and they mention it was plastic…

Do yourself a favor and dont buy it.

1 Like

What are the issues?

Plastic hub wheels?

Not hobby wing esc?

1 Like

Everything. Plastic hubs are still common, that’s not really an issue. Their track record is pretty awful, their part quality sucks ass and shit like this

Sounds like a good deal and better option to me

5 Likes

I think ill stick with the ownboard at pro then. Battery is not as nice as the explorers, but the deck design logo looks better.

Nice!!! My 120mm cloud wheels and 97mm pu’s are collecting dust. I wouldn’t mind having an extra setup to put them on and remind myself how fun street wheels are. Quick update on the Explorer board…one side of the ESC died while riding. It locked up a wheel and I went flying. The bad side of esc stayed in a drag brake status and the remote had over current message displayed. Tynee responded very quickly and sent me another esc with extra set of belts to be nice. He did promise the problem wouldn’t happen again. We shall see. I also noticed the new ESC seems to perform better. The old one felt like one of the rear wheels was breaking a tiny bit when releasing throttle from speeds over 20mph. This is the board torque problem I tried to describe on other post. Maybe that was just the board telling me trouble was coming. Lucky I had on my helmet and armored hoodie. Just my hip, finger tips and pride took a beating. All healed up and riding again. Won’t be my last super man trick and already put a few hundred miles on the new ESC. Seems good for now. The old esc had around 600 miles on it. Still like the board, it gets better range than my Hurricane too which has the same battery and 200mm tires plus the Hurricane is geared lower with 15/66t pulleys. The Explorer is 15/60t. Hurricane has more torque and I love digging in to it on my rides sooooo. You know…The bamboo Meepo is off my radar. Not happy about the cells they’re using either. Maybe a 5p setup on those Sam 40t’s would have been nice. To offset the amperage demand on battery pack. Who knows in a year maybe the price will be low enough and that will be the setup to use my street wheels. They’re definitely more efficient than the 200mm tires. So the 40t’s should be ok. I haven’t built a custom board yet but my experience with a few production boards and over 15k miles of riding has helped me to know what I want from a diy. I completely understand why anyone who has built their own setup will never go back to production boards. Especially if they have a few of them with interchangeable parts.
I envy those who are equipped to build their own battery. The cell technology is starting to show promise for quick charge,lighter cells with more capacity. I’d be happy with quicker charge times without shortening the cell life.

2 Likes

Oh wow. Glad your back up riding. Thanks for the update. You’ve got me thinking about my esc on the explorer. What I noticed there are times when I start the board there’s resistance as if the brakes are engaged. I switch the remote on and off and then it spins freely. I’ll contact Aiden about a new esc.
This is my first production board in 4 years. DIY is good as you get the board you want but it’s bloody time consuming. With the explorer I can change it up as and when.
Keep rolling!

1 Like

Yes I notice the Explorer seems to not coast as well compared to my other boards on same tires. I keep a close eye on the bearings and remove the belts to check for rolling resistance. I even keep my belts on the loose side.The drag could be software settings and doing it on purpose. The original ESC felt like one of the wheels had a drag brake on it after releasing throttle around 20+mph. The deck felt like it was twisting a bit at the rear. At the same time my first thought was the flexy deck and my over compensation when reapplying throttle. it’s not doing it any more with new ESC. I’m probably pushing this thing on 200mm tires with 15/60t gearing. The low Kv motors seem to not mind. I’m thinking about widening the motor mount slots to allow more movement of motor so my 360mm belts with fit with 66t pulleys. The current setup seems very efficient and I got this board for more relaxed riding but still cruise around 24 mph and get 20+ miles out of it. I have to say it makes me appreciate the Hurricanes power and the response from a stiffer deck . If you get an over current message while riding over larger cracks on the road while under throttle I’d definitely contact him about the ESC. Fyi ,I recommend coasting over cracks for safety but it’s how I was clued in that something was up. Still learning and I’m sure that will always be the case. Ride safe!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. Talking of overcurrent, I got an overcurrent warning when I hit a pot hole. I slowed down and the warning went. Hobbywing has thrown so many options in this esc that I think it will take another version or two to perfect it.
On 200mm wheels 66t would be useful. I’m won’t go bigger than 6 inch on the explorers.
At present I’m riding on 6"pneumies, 48 psi and getting an impressive 20+ miles despite cold conditions - sub 10 Celsius. I go no higher than setting 3 with 80% acceleration and 97% power.
I’m running abec111mm on the other board and obviously getting better range but wet roads has limited my opportunities to ride it.
I’m actually looking at the Hoyt 5 inch pneumatics. I’ve also ordered a set of meepos 110 rubber wheels for the perpetually damp roads this winter.
I bought the explorer for the esc, bamboo deck and especially the Molicels. I’ll swap out the esc for a meepo, stormcore or a simplfied hobbywing. Whichever can fit.
KEEP ROLLING!

1 Like

I wouldn’t purchase the explorer either, but the message in your screenshot is a very good offer, and good customer service. Basically telling the customer that they dont have the product they wanted in stock, so they can either upgrade it for only €99 to a much better bigger and better battery, or get a refund.

2 Likes

Genuinely curious,

What is it that is wrong with the product / what issues have been raised by the community?

Judging by your screenshot it doesn’t seem like you followed through and purchased? ( I agree the message to upgrade is a little annoying)

Haven’t seen much negative feedback (tynee only appears in about 17 search results here!)
I’ve only seen pretty positive stuff on the explorer via reviews and the rest of the range normally gets a pretty good wrap for the price point. (Mini 2 etc.)

I’m after an AT setup and it seems pretty solid.

Cheers.

3 Likes