Tynee Explorer Discussion

i can see people wanting it wider. It’s just right for my 9.5 feet. However, I ride with my feet at about 20-30 degrees angled forward.

I’m about to hit first 300 miles on the Tynee explorer. Been riding esk8 3 years in Oct. Started with a cheap hub motor board with 87mm wheels and put 900 miles on it. Thing still works. Then moved up to the Backfire G3 on 97mm wheels 1100 on it, then the Verrreal RS 20 amp battery on 120mm clouds with1600 miles on it. Then went crazy on black Friday last year and bought the propel endeavor S and Meepo Hurricane. Endeavor has 1400 on 200mm street tires and Hurricane has around 2700 miles with 66t pulleys and 190mm street tires. Obviously my favorite one. My grandson now rides the Vereal with 66t _200mm off road tires and racking up the miles , those Lishen cells are strong, 10s4p. …So after that short story comparing the Explorer to these boards I have to say it’s an awesome ride. I got it for more casual rides but it’s proven to be a really good performer. The Hurricane is great for rigid handling and speed. The Endeavor S is a plush SUV. The Explorer is some where between. I did run about 50 miles on the stock 6inch tires but that size doesn’t last long enough with other issues based on my ride style, fast ,aggressive and far. All flat streets with a few parking garages along the way.

My set up… I’m 200 lbs with back pack carrying charger, tools and 2 complete spare wheels. It’s on stock 60t pulleys with 200mm street tires. I have many routes that stretch 12-16 miles one way. So it’s easy to compare performance of the batteries .

The Explores 145kv motors have no problem cranking the 200mm tires on stock gearing. At a steady 27mph it pulls 14 amps. 8 amps at 17mph. The ESC temp on a 92 F day hits 137 F. That’s pretty good considering. I use mode 3 , 80% accel and limited top speed at 27mph. Avg speed of 19mph. Turbo on this setup will go over 35mph. The flexy deck is not suited for this speed. The trucks are stock and loose enough to carve tight spots on and off sideways. The DKP trucks are still in transit. The Explorer battery is same specs as Hurricane. The Hurricane has lower gearing too. The Explorers torque is very noticeable on my setup and it gets slightly better range than the Hurricane. Granted I ride Hurricane in mode 3 and dig into the power on occasion.

Yes my feet get tired on the Hurricane and yes the Explorer deck is a little narrow. I’m size 12 shoe. I miss having an edge to grab on the Explorer but I can still dig deep on high speed carving and sharp turns.

You won’t be disappointed with the Explorer keeping in mind it’s flexy and can get unstable going over 25mph.

Little things I’ve noticed…I had to remove thrust washers between motor mount and pulley because the belt hung off the pinion just enough to bother me . Haven’t noticed any issues doing this. The throttle curve is linear compared to Ling Yi ESC on Hurricane and Endeavor. So while coasting at high speed and rolling back into the throttle you have to get over the middle of the rollers travel. Some say it feels like it’s braking but I noticed I’m preparing for the torque too early being used the Ling yi throttle curve . Also…the motor mount slots aren’t enough to install 66t pulleys using 360mm belts like on the Hurricane. It’s why I’m using the 60t but kinda glad and was hoping the lower KV motors could handle it. Yes they do. If you’re heavier or have hills then go 66t with possible 380mm belts on 200mm tires.
Hope this helps to enlighten. Looking forward to the bamboo Hurricane. Where is it ???

9 Likes

Kami Juin did a great review on this that is well worth watching, especially the part where he compares Tynee’s TKP and DKP setups for the Explorer

3 Likes

my only issue with Kami’s review of the board is that it appears he didn’t balance the stock wheels at all. I just switched over to bkb’s tires on the stock wheels and pulleys and the setup is great with tkp. No wobbles at all but I don’t take it past 25mph since I like to ride my trucks with riptide bushings a little on the loose side.

1 Like

I’ve had my Explorer for about a month now. I’ve been riding my DIY board since 2017 and this is my first new prebuilt board. I bought the Explorer based off specs and the positive reviews about the flexible deck. I’m very happy with my purchase and can also confirm how comfortable long rides with this board can be.

Since I mostly commute on decently paved roads, I figured I’d buy some MAD 105 wheels and try them out. The hype is real, and they ride great but I’m having some misalignment issues with the pulleys and belts. The belt hangs off the motor pulley on one side and off the wheel pulley on the other. Take a look at the attached pictures. Not sure how I can go about fixing this as the motor mounts cannot be adjusted.

Just back off the grub screw on the motor pulley and slide it out a tad

3 Likes

That did it. Thanks.

3 Likes

i’m gonna have to try this because I have the same issue on one side but only when using the stock AT hubs and pulleys. I did notice that it appears that one motors shaft sticks out just a tad more than the other one.

Keep in mind that pulleys do not always slide off easily. For my pulleys, I melt the permanent Loctite stuff with a small propane torch. It can take quite a bit of heat.

Do not strip the grub screw! If it is really stuck, you need to heat it up. Personally, I use aluminum foil around other components to protect them from the heat.

4 Likes

Correct. I used a small torch lighter and gave the pulley small bursts of heat until the grub screw came loose. They used a flat head screwdriver to “pry” the pulley out. I did apply some fresh blue loctite once I reassembled.

1 Like

Ah, i don’t have a blow torch. Meh, I’ll just keep an eye on it. It doesn’t really affect the riding at all. I probably have my belt tension a bit on the looser side of things but these motors get a lot louder with belts that are too tight. At least mine do. I’m close to 500 miles total on my explorer and I love it. I did bring the trucks in and reduced the wheelbase with the other set of truck mounting holes provided. With bkb’s tires, this thing carves like a dream now. Not sure I’ll ever go back to thane wheels despite the loss in range. I’m still getting close to 30 miles of range carving at around 19-23mph average. I weigh about 160lbs, FYI.

2 Likes

You need a small torch and a small canister of gas. In fact, smaller, is better.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-Trigger-Start-3-in-1-Micro-Torch-Handheld-Head/5004121663
https://www.lowes.com/pd/BernzOmatic-Bernzomatic-BF56-Butane-Refill-5-6-OZ/5001998623

2 Likes

Yes I like his video too. I like that he measured the board by to help us know the actual size of the deck. My DKP trucks have arrived and I’ve put around 350 miles on the stock Explorer’s trucks. I’m starting to notice that they don’t rebound to center as well. Bushings breaking in for sure. So Riptides on the DKPs should be an improvement. Stock trucks are good but it feels like the torque is flexing the deck some how and the board acts unpredictable. Maybe the kingpin angle or too much flex in deck???

Riptide bushings will definitely help. I wouldn’t bother with DKP. TKP with riptide bushings is great.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. Mines on it’s way. The bamboo hurricane is out now. No doubt will do great things considering the options available.

Check out Venom hpf bushings, everyone in esk8 raves abou riptide kranks as they are all that many have tried but Venom is known for stability at speed, Riptide Krank is known for carving so it’s more bouncy at speeds.

Some may like it but people who have been going 40-60mph and over for years, downhillers, ride Venom hpf, not riptide. esk8 isn’t as fast usually so some like the bouncier, easier to carve nature of Riptide Krank. Too much rebound for me personally, Venom feel great on my double kingpin setup.

4 Likes

I love the stock caliber Bushings, which are some form of venoms. I use em on my push board.

3 Likes

Got my board and after adjustments I’m loving it. Arrived in a week to the UK. How!
Sitting on Hota 6 inch. I’ve lowered the deck as the platform baseplate is probably the main issue for speed wobble when riding on tkp setup. On the back truck I’ve got got venom eliminators board side and 95a barrel road side. Up front I’m running dkp lowered. Super stable at 27mph in mode 3.
Lastly I’ve added fins on the back of the board to get more width for my size 12 US feet.
Love the adjustable esc on the fly, 50% brakes are strong for me and I’m 216lbs, p42a Molicels are amazing. The bamboo flex and 6inch Hota were put to the test when I took a short cut corner and found myself having to clear 3 steps instead of the 1 which I thought it was. Don’t stray from the path on a night time group ride. Landed it like a boss. The corner will be my new route - in the daytime.
Heads up! Board was in reverse when I stopped and set off again. I had unwittingly knocked it n in that position. Will definitely block the switch so it can’t happen while riding. Hate reverse for that reason - I never use that function.

2 Likes

The Caliber II bushings are 89a Blood Orange UHR (ultra high rebound) which I love having on the boardside of my front truck on all my boards. Despite being labelled as high rebound they feel less reboundy to me than Venom, really mushy, easy to initiate turns with a nice soft rebound. They ride more like 86a with the stability of 89a.

1 Like

Whatever they are, they are dope. I’m a fat fuck and i’m still going like 20+ down hills.

1 Like