Travel battery, Airline safe ~99Wh battery module general discussion.

There was no dedicated thread.

Here we can link build threads, products and info.

Grin tech showing some high quality options.

7 Likes

Hoyt used to sell these type of packs,

here is a DIY rebuild using their cases.

2 Likes

any other big names in the DIY Esk8 world to tag here? lol

5 Likes

A very cool build series

2 Likes

@poastoast

2 Likes

The one i did in that carbon board was actually pretty good.

The one in the bamboo board was a definite fail tho :rofl:

2 Likes

:wave::wave::wave:

1 Like

Bkb talked a bit about their modular railcore system in my interview with them.

The smaller packs are 12s1p and are 99wh

5 Likes

12s1p of p26a, is more than 99wh, is it not?

3.6 x 2.6 x 12 = 112.32

1 Like

That isn’t quite how watt*hours is calculated, but it is indeed a way to estimate it.

How is it calculated? I would have done it the same way.

Molicel says the p26a is 9.5wh.

9.5 x 12 =114 wh

That’s another way, but still an estimation. And, likely an optimistic one, based on whom from it came.

The amount of energy available from a cell depends on a lot of things. That’s also likely at very low discharge rates, like from a flashlight. With higher discharge rates, the energy output goes down, for example. The energy available from a cell is a very complicated subject.

I’m not saying 99Wh is correct, but it absolutely is in the range that it could be a decent description of the system IMHO. So I’m definitely not saying it’s incorrect, either.

An actual measurement of discharge from full to empty while skating would be a much more accurate test. A precision measurement of coulombs integrated over voltage, not simply yet another type of estimation. The VESC measurement is more accurate than those other ones, as it does take into account those two things, but even that isn’t completely accurate.

1 Like

I see that 2 spare batteries of 101 to 160wh are potentially allowed with ‘airline approval’

There seems to be a whole bunch of grey zone on this topic.

Even if one is not likely to ever be able to extract the full rated wH of the cells within their battery, I’d hate to have to abandon a battery at check-in, or miss the flight, because the cell ratng actually exceeds 100wh, and or the TSA agent is a stickler who hates skaters, and had a bad morning, and a toothache.

This was totally on my mind, Grin tech showing off a similar tech to the BKB Railcore system got me really wanting a thread to compare them. Then I forgot about BKB, also missed them advertising airline safe.

lmao what

What’s everyone’s thoughts on BKB’s pricing for their batteries?/ railcore kit?

Very interesting.

So they can’t be run in series right?

They could if you make custom daisy chain connections

1 Like