Trampa Trademark & VESC Tool Discussions (serious)

Lol truth.
But yeah they are the best. Gotta flex when ya can

1 Like

I thought Benjamin’s creation of the Vedder Electronic Speed Controller was a standard / guideline on how to create an ESC, weather or not a company / brand decide to use that version (in collaboration with Ben or not) or improve upon latest iteration would be still consider as a variant of “VESC”? So its not wrong to say “XYZ VESC based ESC” as a whole?
I don’t even know if what im writing is correct or not, too many drama nowadays. I’m here to learn shit, but this is way above me :woozy_face:

isn’t this similar to what happened to people using google as verb a few years back?

Perhaps something like the way Prusa does it with the “Original Prusa” would cause less drama, tho I’m not sure why this community is so hellbent on biting the hand that feeds.

1 Like

A lot of brands add “original”, which does not indicate others could use the brand without the original.
To be honest: If I would step into making certain hardware, I would start to build my own brand from day one.
If you fail to do so, you will never have a strong brand. It is in your very own interest to make your products distinguishable. The only way you can do that, is building your own brand name for the product you sell.
Customers also want to be able to differentiate in between different products and brands, which helps buying good quality and avoids getting crap delivered to your doorstep.
I don’t think Lacroix had a big problem to call their ESC Stormcore instead of Lacroic dual ESC based on VESC. That would be like selling a 3D pinter called xyz printer based on Prusa. Not a good idea in the long run.

9 Likes

That would be like selling a 3D pinter called xyz printer based on Prusa. Not a good idea in the long run.

It would be more like someone trying to now tm the term “i3” and being suprised when a shitstorm ensues

6 Likes

As I can see you distribute VESC Tool on your website. I’m sorry to inform you, that this is not possible. You may not distribute VESC-Tool, as you hold no license to do so. Vesc Tool is soley distributed by Benjamin Vedder.

If you wish to distribute VESC based software, you need to run your own branch, under your own brand. In this case you have to strip the VESC branding from the software and follow the GPL V3 terms.

If you don’t want to run your own branch, please link to Vesc-project.com for software downloads.

You can then distribute modified FW along with your product. However, there is a risk, since VESC Tool can not differentiate between official FW5.1 and your modified FW5.1.

There is also a risk of modified FW landing on other HW causing trouble or even destroying HW or putting users at risk.

1 Like

How often do pull requests actually get accepted for these non VESC hardware devices firmware? Would probably put a stop to all the people violating GPL.

8 Likes

Personally I’m not aware of a pull request in that direction. Also lots of FWs means lots of maintenance work, and in the end Vedder needs to swallow the extra work without seeing payments.
Look at the Unity support. Tons of work and no $$ from Australia.

3 Likes

Perhaps in the spirit of open source more people should be allowed to do some of that work so it does not all fall on a single person. A single developer controlling every aspect of something is a disaster waiting to happen.

7 Likes

Well, this is a complex topic and there are not a lot of brains out there understanding all aspects of motor control. Lots of hands on that code is also asking for a desaster. There are so many things to consider and if you want clean code, it is a bit like chess game where you need to think 4 steps ahead.

2 Likes

How much $$ do we need to donate to ben to get him to make his site less of a pain in the ass. Why do I have to make an account. Maybe if the site wasn’t so ass people wouldn’t re-distribute.

/end-rant

15 Likes

It is a complex topic, the code may be open but if others cannot contribute why publish it?

Perhaps allow outside help or at least stop with the passive aggressive messages when others make the software openly accessible.

6 Likes

The motivation to publish code can differ quite a lot. It can range from " I want to create a project with max interaction and I want to manage that interaction" to “I publish my code because I want to share my knowledge and I don’t want to live in a world that is dominated by black boxes”.

3 Likes

Hey frank, why don’t you focus on fixing your own problems with your own hardware first?
Then kindly FUCKOFF

12 Likes

I bet you profit a lot from all the work that happened in the last years. You probably don’t have the slightest idea how many thousand hours of work it takes to handle and code software like VESC-Tool. Without all that work DIY skateboarding would still be dependent on closed source and very limited controllers. I would say 90+% of all boards here run the Vedder code.

4 Likes

why the fuck do i need to create an account, and purchase the free version of VESCtool?
Just have a download link. Simple

7 Likes

Because the develloper chose that way and was greatful enough to offer a free version. He could also have decided against a free version. Be happy that he decided to offer it for free.

12 Likes

Why don’t you pm this info to the author of this thread? It’s getting old seeing this in every new esc thread. You’re not doing any good for your business by doing this dude.

14 Likes

Because this might be a modified Tool, looking identical to the original and that can bring massive problems on the table. Imagine the Tool and FW is modified and people use it to configure their existing HW with that modified tool. Things can ultimately go terrible wrong to the point that someone has a bad accident.
Even the FW has the same revision number but is obviously different. So now there are two FW 5.1 floating around on your PC and you might make a mistake and upload the wrong FW 5.1. And the problem might show up at 30mph…

No one can have an interest and having different Software floating around that looks identical and uses the same revision numbers. This is causing total chaos and the problems ultimately fall back on Benjamin Vedder’s feet.

This info needs to be public. If fake software is around and it is modified, it needs to be known.

7 Likes

I will add this:

The reason for TMs is identification of source. VESC-Tool is Benjamin Vedder source.
The user needs to be absolute sure to know that VESC-Tool is Vedder and that the software is the original Vedder code and not third party modified software. That is why third parties need to re-brand.

2 Likes