VESC HD, a credit card sized twin motor controller

I Kinda want to buy a few of these but id like to know how this A.S.S is working.

Feel like im buying a car which gets super features… only to find that the method used to aquire said features defeates the purpose of the purchase.

And buying after 2020 is not happening in my situation - (thank you brexit)

3 Likes

Almost reminds me of the ESC that was sold with the promise of a second UART port that would be eventually enabled. Only to find out that it’s traces are wired incorrectly so the ESC is incapable of the secondary port. But only months after you bought it.

9 Likes

Frank says you’re not allowed to know, fuck off

LoL

No but really we’ve asked like 19 times and he ignores the question. It’s obviously a bag of magic powder, and he’s too shy to tell us that.

6 Likes

Trampa can always set up a shop in :de: as well as :uk:

1 Like

Does Frank like beer?

9 Likes

It’s a mistical black box feature. Good job we know frank is there to battal agains all them bad company’s over and over again as he stands against than all in a just and fair way.

4 Likes

Buying after Brexit will probably save you money, since UK is one of the countries with the highest VAT in Europe. After Brexshit you will probably be charged you local VAT. It’s in many cases beneficial for the customer.

A.S.S. is not the prime USP, just a bonus that the HW is already prepared to allow a new SW feature to work. The VESC 6 MKV can demonstrate that already with a proprietary motorcontroller SW. At this stage we can not share deeper insights. However, Vedder will make an OS software feature available, so that full torque startup code will be available on github under GPLV3 license.

4 Likes

Except it’s the thing that everyone here is most interested in, so it kind of is.

So it doesn’t need custom hardware to work? Who’s code is this?

Why can’t you share any details? If the project is truly as “free and open source” as it claims to be, then there is no harm in sharing this information. Isn’t the whole point of FOSS to be fully open to collaboration and communication and not having all development hidden behind an iron curtain?

10 Likes

Because of messages like this and no explicit answers to the several questions I am pretty sure there is nothing special ongoing in the VESC HD hardware. Benjamin published the MKV schematics already and on a quick look the only thing that changed is a filter capacitor for the voltage measurements that can be switched on. (https://vesc-project.com/sites/default/files/Benjamin%20Posts/VESC_6_mk5.pdf) And the MKV is also labeled as A.S.S. ready. So the major change is only on the Software side and probably works also fine on other hardware.

Don’t let Franks ASS advertising fool you.

12 Likes

what if…ok? just what if… vesc tool will have a way to detect if it is a trampa esc to determine if ASS should be available or not

im sorry if this comes off like a conspiracy theory, but unless there is a better explaination, its hard to look away.

the HD is looking to be a good product, but we need more detail on that ASS

3 Likes

Since it’s “open source” someone will most likely find a workaround for it.
And we can all imagine what will happen next

5 Likes

Your making some assumptions in regards to my deadline in buying - I’m looking to acquire 20-100 units and I have annual budget to Consume - 2020 budget that is. And futher units in the event of the result of the first order - in this case it’s not VAT

As a buyer with a specific scope and application requirement in mind - asking how a feature (weather or not it’s ready or not) works is critical. Could mean life or death and I’m not talking longboards here.

The size reduction and the claimed specs are quite impressive - one simply would wonder - well whatsthe downside - for hypothetical example if the twin hd were to get 5c warmer than say twin Og focboxes It would not meet the requirement dispite it’s size and output

As a supplier it’s not a strange question for a client to ask, what am I buying and how does it - aka what’s my risk - and will the object in question work for the intended use in which I am looking to procure.

It’s a shame though someone’s getting the budget that’s for sure.

5 Likes

Thanks hexa, read over the content - indeed looks like overadvertising in rough times.

What is really a shame is there are
Many companies out there who would prucchase something like this for a wide scope application.

Seems the only perk is the size, that’s not so special on its own… for the price that is - in current market scope.

but still it’s inovation - and the size is something to appreciate

2 Likes

@Trampa

Haven’t noticed when this happened, probably when I switched to HD60.
First RT DATA screen used to be single vesc data, the second was for both.

Now, second section shows single vesc data and my consumption shown is halved.
Is that a hardware feature or my settings are messed up?

1 Like

Should be no different from two singles.
Do you use the internal NRF ?

yep

@Trampa

Battery wire broke off while going like 2km/h, DRV errors now on the secondary side
No visible sign of the DRV blowing up, but fault LED is on.
Logic board dead? =(
Anything else I can check?

5 Likes

Probably needs a new DRV if the fault LED is on.
Should be fixable. You can try to swap over power stages and see if the fault still pops up. I think it’s more likeley that its a logic stage issue though.

2 Likes

i would need an external can cable right?

I did and both logic stages work fine, but one power stage has blown FETs.
Aren’t those available for sale? I only see a replacement logic board in the store.