Trampa’s BMS has arrived…well, it’s listed

Connector for TEMP probe… Simple!

Are these numbers easily configurable by the end user?

2 Likes

… yeah, thats what I said :thinking:

How many thermistors are supported?

1 Like

There’s just one 2-pin temp connector on the board.

2 Likes

Calling it cell temp is an oversale then.
Packtemp I can agree with(given its placed in the middle somehow), celltemp would mean individual watch over each cell or atleast p-group.

11 Likes

If you want to monitor each P-Group, you need 18 temp sensors and plenty of free processor pins to attach them to. Lots of cables and connectors… This one has one probe and you can attach that to a representative spot in the pack.

1 Like

Hopefully not being too pedantic here but you can get a 16 channel mux chip for like €0.50, and you can just common up the negatives of the temp sensors and use a second balance connector as a drop in way to match your number of P groups to temp sensors. If it was part of the plan from the beginning it wouldn’t even be that hard to incorporate into the pack build process, you just Kapton down a sensor to each P group and wire them in alongside the balance wires

4 Likes

Could even use a 2nd JST for the temp sensors.

We can look into that. It would also need adjustments on the FW and VESC-Tool.

This is like black mirror for batteries. I can see how it could possibly stop a disaster tho :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t see the reference to a pseudo-future dystopian circumstance

care to explain? I’ve watched almost all of black mirror.

Once upon a time people were happy to plug a bms into their battery and never worry about it again.

Now people wanna know every single possible data point about each individual cell in their pack, AT ALL TIMES.

Its all a little voyeuristic to me.

6 Likes

If we can, why not? If using this tech can make our batteries last even 10% longer, or save cells from over-discharge, this seems like an invaluable tech.

doesn’t seem any more voyeuristic to me than having a thermometer both indoors and outdoors. more granular telemetry.

I feel like anyone who was happy without this telemetry was either unaware of it or it wasn’t available at the time of build or it was cost-prohibitive

I pay more to run my boards without a bms…

Whats that hashtag @poastoast ?

3 Likes

IMO we have to separate using a BMS and wanting to view that BMS’s data. If we have an effective BMS then seeing the data won’t add anything to that BMS’ effectiveness or help to extend pack life.

Other than a few of us real tech-heads, we don’t have any interest in seeing BMS data for any of our other devices. I think this is because we know those BMS’ work, we”re not worried about the cells in those devices.

I think a lot of why, as a community, we want to see more and more data is because we’re not confident that the BMS we are using is doing its job. We want to spend as little money as possible on the BMS but that forces us to spend all this time and concern on it.

I think that’s insanity. :slightly_smiling_face:

If we could trust the BMS’ we use then I think very few of us would ever want to see voltage data. Sure, we say we still would but for most of us that comes out of fear of the BMS not doing its job, not out of technical interest. Once we saw that the BMS was working I think we’d quickly lose interest.

Yes, yes, some of us are very tech minded and love data, myself included, but the vast majority of the community just wants to ride without having to worry about their pack, without having to find a way to install an app, without having to understand BMS terms and settings…they just want to ride.

8 Likes

Im not questioning what it takes to implement, I make BMSes for a living… Just saying that stating that you have thermal control on cell level is flat out wrong with your current implementation.

5 Likes

welcome, please check out this thread:

there are guides on how to wire lipo packs to a charge only bms

Welcome!
Check out that thread @frame linked to. If it doesn’t answer your question then post in the Noob Question thread as there are many more people watching that thread than this very specific thread on the new Trampa BMS. You’ll have a much better chance there of someone who can help seeing your post. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

#nobmsgang :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Well, I think it is nice if you can trust your tech without knowing how it works and without looking at data.
BUT… It is important that the society keeps a certain knowledge of the technology it uses.
Otherwise we all become users or consumers of things we don’t understand. Technology will then become a black hole thing we are dependant on but with no chance to see through. Stipulating understanding of technology and making that tech accessible for a certain audience is a good thing.
I fear that a technology dependant society, that can’t understand said technology will ultimately become paranoid about the technology it uses. If something has the potential to control us, but we can’t control it, then we see a asymmetric shift in power. Therefore I prefer to make things understandable and transparent, even if it is only a BMS. If you don’t want to look at the data, fine. But the data should be there for those who are interested.
We are used to have certain instruments in our cars dash board for example: Motor temp, RPM, oil pressure etc. That is a good thing! If my car is always running a bit too hot I will have a chance to visit a mechanic and sort out the slightly damaged valve before it finally fails during my next holiday trip.

4 Likes