Trampa’s BMS has arrived…well, it’s listed

Just noticed this…

Anyone find the dimensions?

1 Like

I couldn’t find dimensions. I suppose you could get a rough idea by scaling a known component.

Or maybe @Trampa could elaborate.

2 Likes

Napkin guess here but to me it looks like its about 25mm wide, by about 70 ish long, and somewhere around 8mm thick

@Boardnamics think I’m close?

1 Like

I’m going to toss in a guess of 35mm x 135mm x 10mm, based on the LTC6813 case size of about 10.2mm.

1 Like

That seems extremely optimistic… i’m gonna take a punt at about 160x45x15

Could be, I was guessing based on the connector size

It’s probably at least 30 wide actually I forgot about the casing

I havnt tested it(yet), but i have held it in My hand! And its pretty small and slim.
If Im not misstaken both ben and jeff has been involved in this and Im sure they did a great job.

Price is abit steep I agree. It might be due to component price tho. Atm some components go for 2000% thier Price compared to just one year ago.

9 Likes

130 long…

3 Likes

Does this mean all non-Trampa BMSs constructed going forward need to be triangle, pentagon, hexagon, or enneagon?

Do you think as enough folks build BMSs, we’ll have to start venturing into the star polygon shapes like heptagrams and hendecagrams?

4 Likes

Thanks!
One down, two to go.

12 Likes

I think a dodecagon (correct?) shaped BMS for a 12S setup would be great, with the leads coming out of each point. Would take up a huge amount of room but perhaps if uber-flat and part of the pack instead of floating in the enclosure.

Half silly but that means half not silly. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, rectangle is off the table now so we need to make contingency plans :crazy_face:

1 Like

Any quadrilateral should do as long as one side is 2mm shorter than it’s opposite. Problem solved.

2 Likes

Probably can’t have JST connectors on it though. Anyone putting JST connectors on a BMS would clearly be ripping off Trampa.

2 Likes

36, 13

1 Like

so it’s just under 1 cell diameter thick, a little over half a cell length wide and about 2 cell lengths long.

No PTCs on this board, since the PTCs should sit close to the battery/cell group. If you perforate a balance cable, PTCs at the BMS do not really help…
Mosfets are 120A rated and can handle 15A continuous charge current with ease.
This BMS can operate an external power (mosfet) pre-charge switch and has a connector for a button switch (manual on/off). The BMS is fully CAN interlinked with the VESC eco system. In consequence the ESC can see all data from the BMS and react if cell temps rise too high or if health sate of the battery is not as supposed. We added a buzzer for easy communication with the user.

7 Likes

…and how exactly is this cell temp communicated to a stand alone device? Connectors for external thermistors?..

I get that it works in the monsterbox setup of theres integrated thermistors. But on the BMS as a separate device?

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Interesting! Those components sure looked like PTC fuses. Thanks. They’re just standard resistors, perhaps for filtering (along with the caps near the LTC6813)?

Agreed.