TRAMPA IR Twin Main Pin Skid Plate Truck

4 Likes

Can you flip the hangers on those to go from positive rake to negative?

3 Likes

I don’t see why not. I think you can flip the baseplates round too to lengthen and shorten the wheelbase, it would only move the axle by 6mm/12mm overall. Not sure if you would really notice especially with the bit of flex of the deck too.

1 Like

Could try to flip your front hanger? Wondering if there’s enough clearance for that xD
Will the hanger bite on the baseplate?

If it get time later il give it a go and post the result.

1 Like

Very adult way of handling this… I commend you.

1 Like

Yes, the baseplate can be flipped and the hanger can also be flipped. The basplate flip will shift the truck position up and down the nose a bit (fine tuning).

Reasons why we added rake to the hanger:

• Make drive trains smaller/lighter/shorter without having the motors clashing with the tip of the deck.
  • allow different setups (reverse hanger)
  • cut away more of the tip of the deck, have same wheelbase with a shorter deck.
  • improve response and turning radius.

The hanger is also wider compared to the channel trucks, so that the wheels sit further apart and so that bigger/longer motors can become an option in future.

TLDR: There is a lot of thought in the geometry, making this truck future proof and versatile.

And yes, Tom likes them a lot while other team riders prefer the channel trucks. Opinions vary among our team members.

4 Likes

Where are your nuts?

1 Like

The baseplates are threaded. I have applied loctite to the bolts and they seem to be holding just fine. I may drill through and nut and bolt them at a later date but it depends. The threads will wear but it’s not like they are taken off often.

1 Like

Threaded baseplates? Ive never heard of such a thing. Thats the real innovation here.

1 Like

Is a fun time, M5 through hole is the tap diameter for M6

2 Likes

I know, where are your nuts?

I own plenty of very old trucks with threaded baseplates.
Its been explored a lot in the past and I think its died out for good reason.

There’s even some that thread into a blind hole. Like eXkate Trucks, which also use 24 TPI instead of 32 TPI for some reason. Bonkers.

2 Likes

Ahh, before my time, explains why grampa knows about it.

Typical skate baseplates are simply too thin. If you can make the baseplate thicker, you can use a longer thread and the load can easily be transferred into the aluminium. A lot of cheaper skate gear is casted and that aluminium is brittle. 6061 is quite tough and threading into it works just fine.

There’s other problems too though. Like…
Now you can’t run wedges, because wedges will skew the alignment

Wedges are pretty standard fare.

And if you can’t have skewed alignment, then you need higher precision from the mounting pattern on the deck. And you know there’s actually two different standards out there for hole pattern width for some reason?
There 1 5/8" and there’s 42mm. That’s usually close enough to be interchangeable, but it wouldn’t be here.

And what’s the advantage?

I see it as one of those things that’s nice until it isn’t.

1 Like

You can still drill out two threads and use a wedge and a nut. Easy
I might design a ±5° baseplate next year.

20 years of TWIN KINGPIN trucks…

Ahaha :clown_face:

11 Likes

You know, actually…
On a twin kingpin truck if you’re only wedging 5 degrees you might be able to get that easily enough through slightly different bottom bushing heights or a little stack of washers, as long as there’s enough extra length on the kingpins to work with.

Would throw off the bushing interference angle a little bit, but I think thats fine.

1 Like