"Trail Blazer" My Trampa / MBS Hybrid ATB

I popped a tire today while riding around in some fields and ended up ubering home. I identified where the tube punctured pretty easily so tomorrow I’ll get a patch kit and some chain lube while I’m at it. Not a fun way to end the day, I really want a spare wheel I can just swap out.
d6aa44bc504b0fb57a164c6aa14c72794372da05_2_690x388

2 Likes

Man I had so many flats sometimes twice a day. Not fun when you carry a spare wheel and 10 minutes after swapping the next flat occurs.

The life changer is the famous green slime aka tire sealant for bicycle tubes. I use a bottle for 2 bicycle tubes for 8x 8" tubes. No need to patch the tube, if the damage is smaller than 3mm you can even fill it in now and it will repair the hole instantly and permanently.

I constantly have flats with thin MTB tires (like almost all) but don’t recognize them thanks to green slime. When swapping a tire I can see the green dots aka punctures on the tubes, several each tube!

So fill in the slime and forget about spare tubes or patch kits (I’ve used many)

6 Likes

Looted the local bike shop for some important goodies.

@rich how much of the slime goes in each 8" tube? I have 8oz of the stuff and it looks like a ton. I cant imagine it takes much.

6 Likes

I would use this bottle (for 2 bicycle tubes) for 8x 8" tubes. The first time I’ve used the whole bottle for 4x 8" tubes but it was too much. If you remove the sticker maybe you can add marks like I did (height of the slime divided through 8).

5 Likes

Have you tried those tire protection tapes that are made for mountain bikes? I use those on mine (bike) and can’t remember the last time I had a flat, some cutting will be involved for them to fit

3 Likes

Just added slime, patched the tire, and lubed my chain. Charging up now and I’ll get to ride again. I hope that lube helps out a bit with the racket the chain makes. It was getting pretty gnarly the last few rides. It already sounds significantly quieter.

2 Likes

This sounds very helpful!

@rich I did the same with the slime, whole bottle for all four 8”, as I was doing the last one I thought man that’s a lot of slime each :sweat_smile: glad to see I wasn’t the only one :rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

Also good idea, do they protect a bit on the side aswell or the running surface only?

@McLovinsQuads :joy: yeah it works well with 8 tubes each bottle, next time I try if 1 whole bottle is enough for 16x 8" tubes.

Sometimes the slime is searching for freedom

4 Likes

A bit, I don’t know how well it will fit our tires since they are quite a bit narrower, this is similar to the tape I use on my bike, the center portion is around 2mm thick

6 Likes

That looks exactly like something I need. The thorn I ran over the other day was just barely sticking through the inside of the tire and pricked the tube. Good news is, the slime fixed it!

On another note I’ve been thinking about doing some glass frit on the Trampa deck, I think a white or clear medium frit is going to look good. Would it be silly to do the whole standing platform when I only stand in the bindings?

1 Like

Does slime go inside the inner tube or just between the tube and tire?

Inside the tube.

1 Like

Oh boy here we go again.

Had a couple cut outs last night that a power cycle would fix, only it didn’t fix it after it happened a few more times. Now my remote receiver doesn’t even light up anymore (the only light I can see) and the board doesn’t do anything.

So I’m thinking either the battery decided it’s life was over (second hand lipo that seemed good to me but may have had problems) or dead vesc. I say may have had problems because I had no issued with my swapped in 12s4p, but with these 2x 8s packs I got micro cutouts when throttling too hard. Last nights ride was testing after some vesc setting changes to see if I could eliminate the problem but nope, it kept happening and instead of being able to plug it into my pc after to check for faults, it completely died and I had to walk 2 miles home with the board and all my gear. I’m sure I didn’t change any settings that caused this since it has happening before but less severely.

When I get the chance I’m going to swap back in the 12s4p and see if anything still works and if it does, I might not get cut outs. I hope it’s just the battery I don’t want another vesc.

Also metr pro doesn’t like my maytech 100a, so that’s not fun. works fine on my focboxes and even the previous focbox I blew up. God, what a fiasco this thing has been!

Swapped back in my 12s battery at lunch and all seemed well, vesc alive and well. Man is it nice to have extra parts so I can troubleshoot!

It must either be those lipos or some sketchy wiring in my batt box. At least I can go shred again today and likely not need to walk home.

2 Likes

Found the problem to yesterdays problem; it was a bad loop key. Broke in half when I unplugged it yesterday.

However today on the 12s pack that works fine, the board seemed fine as I was accelerating to speed and had a micro cutout. Cue me falling off the front @ 30mph dragging the board behind me by my footstraps until it got loose and slammed motor first into the curb. Left with a few scratches on the can and a loose mount. I came out of it better than you’d expect for a tumble like that. Road rash on my hip and a likely sprained wrist (I’m writing this with one hand) and the wind knocked out of me but all is well. All my gear did it’s job. I really meed some hip protectors though, I skin them every time I fall. My phone fell out behind be but no cracked glass somehow. Must be because it’s a Nokia.

8 Likes

And I put a hole in my dang bkb shirt. Had it tucked in to help a tad incase i ever crashed.

2 Likes

hope ur feeling better man, tighten them screws and get back out there

1 Like

Holy shit. This could have been really bad. Glad it wasn’t worse. Have a fast recovery!

1 Like

I put the esc in a box.I will also put some abs cement around all the hot glued connections. Hot glue and abs cement works pretty well for this.

4 Likes

I’m having a strange problem that I think might be to do with the vesc.

When turning on the board the motor only spins at like 1/10th the power it should and won’t even rotate at all without a spin from the hand while applying power. Once it hits a certain rpm all the power will come back and it will work as usual until I push it too hard (like slow speed up a hill) or turn it off/on again and it goes back to it’s low power state. Sometimes it will just randomly happen out of nowhere. It won’t spin as fast as it does normally and it only seems to fix itself after a random ammount of time has passed. I do not see any fault codes but it’s a hard problem to replicate because sometimes it will happen every 5 minutes and others it could be days in between. Any ideas?

Current limits are set conservatively so the battery shouldn’t be struggling to supply power and the remote mapping is fine too after some testing. I’m going to check a solder joint this weekend but I don’t really think that’s the problem since pressing on the connection or moving it around doesn’t change the situation. Nothing I’ve thought of has been the problem and it would be nice to have a board that doesn’t randomly lose most of its power.