TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

Can you post a video of what’s happening? With the wheels spinning no load, and with load to show that jiggling? Have you set up a Unity before?

Sure thing, here is the videos

This board was my first unity (or vesc in general) setup.

I originally did the guided setup in the focbox ui app but kept running into issues where one wheel would spin the wrong way, sometimes both wheels wrong direction. Swapping phases removed that issue but I haven’t done the guided setup in a while now.

As far as I could recall from my research before all.my stuff was delivered, the jiggling has something to do with running sensorless or a specific variant of the sensors or something like that, but I read too much to find that info again

1 Like

Yup, standard cogging behaviour. Two solutions: Start with a small bit of pushoff/speed; or set them up in FOC mode in the Unity setup.

3 Likes

Quick reason for that jiggling (basic explanation) is when it runs sensorless, the motors have no idea what position they’re in. So when the phase current comes in, it’s forcing itself to run in position based on field orientation.
In sensored mode, it knows what direction to start in so it’s a lot smoother start.

You can try adjusting your throttle curves so that its not such a sudden surge and more of a smooth roll
Or like bill said, try doing a small push off first

4 Likes

Thus far I’ve made do with push to start so to speak but eventually ill have to set it up sensored - what do I have them for if I dont use them :smiley:

Anybody know if I can.retroactively activate it in the metr pro app? I want to switch over to that completly as I want to use that to record rides etc and using both apps leads to some weird behavior

Why not use the vedder position control program? Another step towards better control without needing sensors

3 Likes

anyone using a VX2 pro remote with their DD? Wanted to confirm if the telemetry works before ordering.

oh i’m using a Unity.

1 Like

telemetry works

1 Like

Works great - VX2, unity and TB DDs, so the same setup!

1 Like

same here, 75kv DD, unity and vx2 works fine, but i’ve moved on to puck already.
telemetry is honestly an optional thing, u aren’t gonna read those numbers while going 30mph anyway

i have too many pucks…wanted to try something different and also not to get confused on which remote to go with what board.

what vesc settings are you guys setting them at? I’ll have a 12s4p with P42a cells.

batt: 60/-40
motor: 80/-40
same setting for both my 10s3p 30q and 12s 4p 40t, just because im lazy to change profile :rofl:

is the battery per vesc? or total?

I guess what’s the current limit on these things?

on the unity, that’s the total for batt.

iirc, unity can go up to 120, but i never go over 80 anyway, and the DD is rated for 80

gotcha. I’m running FW5.1 so I have to set it per vesc nowadays.

1 Like

I run 60/-50 motor and 60/-25 battery on 12s4p VTC6 through unity. @frame what kind of motor temps do you get :eyes:

Never exceed 45C, but I don’t have hill in my area, not places I would go anyway.

1 Like

Besides telemetry, was it worth changing over the Hoyt?

I do have 3 Hoyt pucks but wanted to try something different. But maybe I should just stick with it…

Hello guys.

Anyone maybe knows dimension of nut, which is kepping wheels on axis.
While I was driving it got loosen somehow and I lost it with washer. I went back to look after it but I only found washer, but no nut :frowning:
This nut is not standard nut. I tried standard metric nut but it doesnt fit, maybe I need to try same dimension but with fine thread, or is it other type of thread?

Thanks for all help.

@NEKDO1 It’s a regular longboard locknut.