TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

I tell yall my age and you go ham using it as evidence for everything. It is kinda obvious they have yyyyyuge markups on everything and are using their niche to sort of take advantage. I was just saying the things they include ‘necessarily’ adds a huge cost, as already previously explained, that it doesn’t make sense why they don’t offer the motors by themselves, but oh wait, it does from their standpoint. Its fun to be wrong on things to learn yeah, but not when Im spending my money, you feel?
So to @murdomeek’s point, yes you are right to scrutinize my view that esk8 stuff is priced too high because to me (and no, not because of age), yeah it most definitely is. No one likes a paywall, a loot crate, a pay to win if it doesn’t need to be, comprende? Im calling it as I see it bby, like what would stop them from pricing these at 1200 each? nothing cause yall would still pay that much which astounds me.

1 Like

@Rob you are right, I made an assumption based upon your age, that your experience with manufacturing, pricing, warehousing, delivering, warranting, and running a small business was limited. I should not have made that assumption, sorry.

As an attempt to correct my thinking can you help me understand your experience or reference points for your assertions? Your online persona has made definitive claims on methods of conducting business that do not align with what many of us would consider typical.

My intent is not to highlight inexperience or incorrect thinking but rather remedy my error of assuming you have limited experience in this aspect of business.

If you do not have experience or data points to support your claims, that is fine, let this response go unanswered and I will not continue to inquire.

6 Likes

Big words, much wow
much business
I own amazon.
Im not gonna let ‘this response go unaswered’
Its not close enough to holloween for me to be ghosting…
I think they are doin an awsome job on capitalization, Im just baffled and can’t understand the ppls that justify buying motors that cost 300 a pop

1 Like

sorry about MacKenzie. on the plus side you probably have a case against her given the gap in age and can re-coop some of the payout and close the gap between you bill

Can you draft a US budget?

seem like da guy for it

I cant speak for everyone but personally i have found that cost is not limited to money. while you can find less expensive [any product] it is not always the best value as things break. in the case of esk8 when things break many times riders also get hurt.

some people chose to spend more money and reduce the risk of downtime related to broken products or bones. a boomer once told me “if you don’t have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over”

speaking with genuine concern i encourage you to design and build your board with reliability and safety first. Good luck @Rob keep asking questions, if the answers don’t make sense press for a reason why and make your own assessments. There is a lot of experience on this site and the vast majority of us want to help everyone be successful and have fun.

3 Likes

once we get out of debt, sure

1 Like

I’m gonna throw my 2c in here because I own a pair of TBDD’s and I have been fascinated by DD since the old Carvon days. These drives exceed my expectations of performance, quality, and reliability.

These are quality, precision made, high power, reliable motors and trucks. Direct drive done right is a new technology that hasn’t matured yet. Torqueboards took a major risk/investment to design, prototype, manufacture, revise, produce, stock, ship, and provide customer service. These things are practically custom built from the ground up - nothing else like it exists. That pretty much explains the price, a lack of supply and a high demand for a new technology. Not to mention, the DIY eskate community is not a high volume industry (yet).

As much as I would like for them to be 500 dollars, which would be an excellent price for what these drives can do, the reality is the cost won’t go down until they recoup their investment costs and/or cheaper, semi-reliable, RKP direct drives come out from other manufacturers.

TLDR: Torqueboards has a monopoly on a niche market with an exceptional product.

13 Likes

This is business tho, ever heard of apple? its the biggest cult of assholes on the planet

4 Likes

someone link him to the thread another noob made a while back on how our entire esk8 industry is a huge ripoff. And how enclosures should be $10 because its just plastic. And he got his ass handed to him XD

Cant find it on mobile :’(

4 Likes

that did the trick for me too. I actually had to use 3 speed rings

1 Like

I really loved my TBDD but I have the feeling quite a few people having the Issue with the cluttering sound. I actually broke both motors starting with that noise and then getting worse and finally broke. unfortunately after my warranty expired and wonder if I order a new one if it would only happen again. I am running them on a Unity at 80 amps with overheating control and don’t really know what I did wrong. Still really like them and hope if I am a little more careful with the hills It won’t happen again. I also did not manage to open them to have a look what’s wrong inside. Any opinions about that? Thanks

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try when the whole pandemic situation slows down.

But honestly I feel like this motor is simply broken… I mounted the whole thing to my deck and now it’s making way worse sounds. Keep in mind that my motor was never plugged to any power, and that in the video it’s not scrubing against the trucks :

@sebastian @Edratuom Please send us an email. help@diyelectricskateboard.com

3 Likes

In my case, my ticket is already opened and Dexter was waiting on a update from me. While issues happens, what matters is support we can get when they arise. Dexter has been very responsive :+1:

@torqueboards I will send you an update tomorrow.

3 Likes

thanks, yes dexter has been very responsive. I will order some replacement motors as soon as they are back in stock. still unfortunately out of warranty.

1 Like

@torqueboards With the advent of the Stormcore 100D, will the TBDD’s handle higher voltage? Have you/can you test it?

Sorry I am bored from corona

1 Like

@Meeep You should be able too. I’d check and watch the temperatures when riding.

3 Likes

Awesome, on the off chance I get to go +13s I will let you all know. Loving my set after 6 months.

I have the coolest “Boosted Board” now if that means anything

3 Likes