TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

@Edratuom You can email us. :+1:

1 Like

Long shot but you can try putting a speed ring in between the wheel and the drive because that helped mine have no resistance. Good luck man.

4 Likes

Try reseating the bearing underneath the wheel adapter. When you take off the adapter, if you notice any wear on the inside of the adapter or any fine metal shavings you know it’s the bearing coming a bit loose.

I had the same thing, small bearing coming out a bit and rubbing on the adapter. If there’s fine metal shavings, clean them up. I used an old longboard wheel and a hammer (rubber mallet might be better) to knock the bearing back in place, making sure to only tap on the outer race and not the shield.

I printed a little nylon spacer that goes between just the outer race and the wheel adapter to keep the bearing in place and I haven’t had any more issues.

@torqueboards I think there should be a little notch for the wheel adapters to just press on the outer race of that bearing instead of the whole thing. I can post up the nylon shim/spacer I use in a little while.

5 Likes

@Skatardude10 That was fixed about 4-5 months ago. New adapters will have a bearing seat.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to be that guy, but why is this 700 freaking dollars. I realize this is most likely from having to cover costs of molds and such, but come on man, they are motors with heatsinks on the can that act as half your hanger for your truck, isn’t a belt drive better and significantly cheaper?

2 Likes

both are good.

Hub motors are cheap because china makes them dime a dozen. Direct drive is new, not dime a dozen quite yet. Then add a good brand with some profit in.

Value is there for a new technology

9 Likes

@Rob

to pile on what Quinn stated in the post immediately preceding this one, let’s not underestimate the intersection of supply and demand.

additionally my personal experience with @torqueboards has been pleasant and enjoyable. Dexter has provided quick turn around in both product shipping and in technical support.

additionally its good form to mention someone when directing question or comment their way (even if they are the OP on the thread).

8 Likes

@Rob It’s designed and priced for a high performance setup. If we made it a budget setup it would be far from the same setup that you purchase now. We would of sacrificed for cheaper trucks, bushings and much smaller motors.

4 Likes

I’ll give it to you, it’s neatly designed, and the use of that massive bearing is quite ingenious. The awkwardly shorter length of the front truck gets on ones ocd but you sneaky buggers already know every guy that makes an order is probably just going 4x4 and buys two drives anyway. Considering you factor in probably 300$ retail value of your own parts, (wheels - 110$, trucks - 160$, hardware and those bushings “$31.95 value” :hushed:) those motors by themselves would probably cost 350 on your markups anyway, but you would make a crap ton more sales… don’t know why you don’t offer that as an option smh.

Obviously not for me, but a cool setup at that! This is what makes builds different and I love it. Keep innovatin :call_me_hand:

@Rob front and rear truck are same length.

2 Likes

Ma B

2 Likes

@Rob thanks nice find didn’t notice that. In the photo they aren’t matched but that’s a prototype. Guess we took the wrong photos. :sob:

Actual setup front and back trucks are the same length.

4 Likes

O for real? I thought I was just seeing things wrong like those circles that look different sizes but are actually the same…

2 Likes

Check the eLofty thread and you’ll see why. These are the only quality DD drives on the market.

10 Likes

Good to know, thanks Dexter!

Thanks for the suggestion, as Dexter said it’s not an issue on mine as I got the latest adapters. :slight_smile:

Here is the underside :

@Kellag Thanks buddy. It seems that I have the issue even without the adapter or wheel on, so I’m not sure that would fix it. I sent a mail to Dexter so he can look into it.

2 Likes

lmao @Rob
If you want a $350 direct drive, the chinese elofty direct drives fit the bill.

Less powerful, issues with earlier iterations, weaksauce tech support

3 Likes

I don’t want one. That’s just what this one is worth

So I guess the elofty drives are worth $200? and not $350?
And ownboard belt drive kit worth $125? And not $250?
And longhairedboy complete worth $1500? and not $2500?

Yeah you’re right. Hey everyone, lets all collectively lower esk8 prices! They are priced too damn high!

2 Likes

i remember what it was like to be 15 years old, good times. Enjoy it @Rob you’ll soon learn none of us know as much as we think we do and it’s much more fun being wrong some of the time than right all the time.

4 Likes