TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

I just did motor detection through the stormcore, sensored FOC. Can I confirm that 64 milli-Ohms and 32 amps are normal for these 90kv directs? I thought that the resistance was perhaps a bit high.

I got similar results for my 85kv drives

1 Like

Are my drives acting right? There’s quite the rolling noise in slow speed and non-trivial amount of vibration at max rpm. 95kv.

I think it may be chattering on the truck. Theres a small patch of double sided foam tape that holds motor to truck and sometimes it loosens. Re-taping may help

2 Likes

Do you have a specific thickness in mind? The gap is extremely small. Also, I heard that you were supposed to use thermal tape?

I’m not sure. There’s a video earlier in this thread (June 2020; 276/733) from Torqueboards showing the fix.

2 Likes

I am still somewhat paranoid. I narrowed the vibration problem down to just one of the drives. When I take the motor out of the axle and spin it in my hands(the vesc driving the motor when I am holding it by the inner shaft) I can confirm that the motor is in fact vibrating a non-trivial amount but the vibration is for some reason intermit. There was also some noise inside the motor(light brushing and clinging on the can) but it seem like opening the case is impossible unless you have the right tools. It would vibration hard during low to medium speed, vibration only a little during medium, and vibrate hard again during full duty. Is there some reference vibration/sound that I can compare my drives to?

Have you seen my teardown thread? I get weird noises running sensored in the beginning but otherwise smooth. I think that’s normal anyways. While annoying to deal with, there’s no reason you can’t eliminate the problems on these drives. Other than them having some serious tolerance issue, but you should be able to locate it.

Here’s how they should sound and early similar dogshit

3 Likes

What’s your VESC Setting? My TBDD have really weak break in steep hills =/

TBDD are not the strongest breakers. Here are my settings.

1. motor max current: 80 (range: 70 to 90) adjust for low speed torque
  2. motor curr max break: -65 (range:-60 to -70) adjust for low speed break
  3. battery current max: 50 (battery max continuous 100A divided by 2)
  4. battery current max regen: 16 (max charge current 8A * 4p = 32 divided by 2)
  5. voltage cuttoff start: 40
  6. voltage cuttof end: 36
  7. ERPM: leave limit at 100,000 or change?
    Save and then repeat for other side
1 Like

what cells are you using? seems like your brakes are easing out rather than the drives being bad breakers.

to be clear, I’ve broken every set I’ve had, but I think you mean the other kind of braking.

1 Like

molicel p42a. what would be a better setting?

I personally do 50% of whatever the cell is discharge rated for. For a 4P of P42A I would do -30A battery per side.

1 Like

:point_down:

yeah -60 total would be the max I would do but definitely crank it up. In my experience they may not last that long, but these drives do actually brake kind of well when the settings are right. Kind of. Not quite like gears or belts but it’s not terrible. Maybe start with -20 per side and see where that lands you, if you see a tolerable difference you could stay there or keep going.

2 Likes

I’ll try it out. Thx

1 Like

So I finally got around to assembling my board and I’m hearing something rattling on the left motor during detection. Anyone have an idea what it could be and/or how to fix it?

1 Like

I have two 90 kv. one heatet extraordinary up…the issue with tb dd is the manufrakturer is not so precise. The issue whit the heating is the big bearing sits to tight in some motors…it should go out with little force from strator otherwise it will heats the motor up as fuck

1 Like

Anyone looking for these?

1 Like

If anyone needs the adapters, I have one pair left.

how did servicing your 90kv go last year? I just got some that have never been cleaned yet.