TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

I dumped the rest of my statorade in these and went to town with the thermal paste. Brought my average temps from 68-70°C to 45°C when comparing logs with similar consumption. Another benefit is that now motor temps seem super stable, and I didn’t get them to exceed 60°C max.

I tried a little statorade previously, and it seemed to help, but the effect overall was relatively unimpressive.

3 Likes

Where did you put statorade in?

poked through this silicone and got as deep in as I could.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll give it a crack.

is there a video anyone has to tear apart the motors and loctite the bearings in? I’m sick of having this as a paperweight since dexter isn’t responding.

1 Like

Jindra has been pioneering TB DD repair techniques. This might help:

3 Likes

Ya I must apologize for getting fired up and using this forum to vent. I apologize for that. Dexter was super responsive until he wasnt and i learned a lot through the experience, expensive lesson but that is par for the course when jumping into DIY & starting to build these wonderful machines. No disrespect intended just frustration being vented in the wrong place. I appreciate this community very much and don’t ever want to bring any energy here that is not productive and helpful. And will not make that mistake again. Thanks to everyone thst makes this community so wonderful!

6 Likes

No need to apologize, you’ve lost enough money on these drives that it’s warranted :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Nice, was really looking forward to someone to test it

1 Like

Update… Seems to lose its effectiveness after a couple rides. :neutral_face:

I feel like my DDs these days just heat up more than they used to. Statorade helps, but it seems it helps like a bandaid.

2 Likes

I wish someone would make a great DD setup : ( when I ride my revel kit I just love it

I have 2 sets of TB DD’s just chilling, both need 1 motor replacement, but not wasting my time or more $ on them

2 Likes

fastboard is seemly gonna be the DD motor vendor weve been waiting for but only time will tell wat he decides to do with his dds. @worldismine772 only issue i have with him is hes very much a downhill longboarder by heart so some things that we like to see be done with eboards hes hesistant or not willing to do due to personal reasons

5 Likes

Any sign of leakage? The motor has to be well sealed at the outer perimeter, there is significant g force acting on the statorade and any tiny gap will let it out

They’re probably just bad bearings unless they collapsed and shredded the insides. It sucks with a new product but there is a path to making these legitimately good if you can let go of the resentment. Think of it as showing torqueboards how to do their fucking job for them. :joy:

It’s baffling to me torqueboards has done nothing about information, it’s been months now and the website is the same, same people are still being ignored.

Like even if you ordered an assload of these DD motors with issues and have to bail yourself out now. These are totally fixable but dumping this on each new customer is ridiculous and such a terrible approach since they can be fixed inhouse, I’m so confused.

1 Like

Are you confident that even after our DIY fixes they won’t break again in the same way after a while? Doesn’t seem like these are manufacturing defects, rather bad design that leads to large failure rates over time…

5 Likes

I agree It is bad design that the whole thing depends on a press fit not to shift sideways and bind up.

But Ill also say I’m confident in my fixes just so they will break sooner and we can get this over with :joy:

Really though once you battle harden the bearings and loctite every part together it should remove those biggest design flaws at least. The issue then becomes you can’t take it apart properly anymore. Bending hangers is a doozie. Idk I’ll keep updating as I get more km on this but I’m probably at around 8-900km now with what started as squealing bearings.

I wouldn’t recommend this to anyone though.

4 Likes

What causes motors to heat up more and more as these get used? Thankfully mine have held up great since release, but I find myself needing to take it easier and easier due to overheating the more they get used.

How is their freeroll? You have the extra spacers behind the wheel? My 90kv gets to 80c if I’m racing around on 110 pretty fast, but normal riding they are totally good. On 100mm wheels I find the heat issue is minimal unless you’re full throttle 60kmh all the time. The heat dissipation is better when you loctite the motors to the hangers but also terrible for maintenance if you have to take it apart.

It’s really easy to bind up the main motor bearings by the way its designed each different wheel/pulley needs a different spacing of speed washers on the axle behind the wheel.

1 Like

Unless your bearings are binding, very under lubricated or your motors are too loose to transfer heat to the axle, there shouldn’t be anything else. I mean unless your coils are doing some wierd shit shorting out.

Made a super high end diagram to clear this up:

2 Likes