TorqueBoards Direct Drive Motor Kit

Hi mate,

Thanks for this managed to fix my motors by tapping lightly with a socket on the bearings and now they actually spin without grinding!

2 Likes

that’s just a temp solution…it’ll be back after a few miles.

2 Likes

Yeah if it comes back gonna need retaining compound.

Got my kingpins today, cost me like $1 each. Problem solved and im less mald about it, still would be nice to have some warning about this beforehand. My med. rocket handles wayyy better. It SEEMS like you can use the shorter ones but the taper of it makes it so yo have to overtighten a lot. I’m still a bit confused but measuring again with the caliper it’s for sure more.

1 Like

Where did you get them?

Ottawa fastener supply, local hardware store that only does screws and stuff. Great place that has bailed me out of stupid shit like this a few times.

2 Likes

Ya 8 bought two sets of the TB DD75 Kv motors and both sets had one motor that was defective, hit the gas and i would get this crazy skipping, almost stripping sound and chattering feeling…not the motor being loose on the hanger (i think that us standard issue for every set of DD’s from TB… that is an easy fix) mine felt like the like the rotor was skipping past the stator or something like that…i really don’t know what the issue was I just know they got super hot super fast and the reaked of burning death electrical smell after 2 miles and one motor still would spin freely and the other one that smelled of electrical death I got much much harder to turn and certainly would not spin freely.

I ended up with two of the four motors still working all right.

I bought thousands of dollars worth of stuff from torque boards and and just about every shipment something was missing or incorrect I got kegel adapter rings with abec Drive pulleys in the same package they shorted me on sets of AT tires, I bought two batteries and paid for the upgrade to the 4 amp charger and I was sent one two amp charger and one 4 amp charger it just everything had a problem the stuff that works worked well and I will give Dexter credit for being responsive and after much emailing back and forth refunding my money for the stuff that didn’t get sent but I didn’t even try to deal with the motors being defective I just figured I would cut my losses and take my business elsewhere and since then I’ve been a much happier builder.

It always strikes me as time to move on when after you spend four or five thousand dollars with someone they refuse to speak to you on the telephone.

I put an order in for a Lacroix lone Star and had the owner of the company calling me 15 minutes after the my order was placed to go over everything and make sure I wasn’t purchasing something I didn’t need and offer advice on other things I should think about whole different ball game working with companies that will do everything in their power to make sure you get your money’s worth out of what you pay for with them. Good luck!

I also ended up taking the two motors that still worked and fitting them onto a 15-in mountain board truck hanger and installing it onto a double kingpin assembly and then I’ve got a set of direct drive 15-in wide double king pin motors that I love… Lots of filing involved and so far no bending of the axle but I’m guessing that’s just a matter of time LOL.

9 Likes

Dam im sorry u went through all that but im glad u wind up getting at least some motors to work and getting a good working board.

1 Like

I think I’m getting that same thing happening to me but it happens when the motors are cold? Lol, such a mess I’m wondering if its the outer part of the axle chattering not the inside but best to move on because it never ends.

I think it’s crazy :neutral_face: lots of stories about bad experiences… Not to downplay any of that at all because it really does suck, but maybe a more silent opinion these days that could be said:

I’ve ordered from Dexter quite a few times over the years and never had an order messed up or had a faulty product. Communication and shipping has always been timely and flawless, even needed to change shipping address last minute and got it changed via email just fine. My most recent order last week was delayed a few days and I got notice the same day that it would take a couple days to ship out… And then it shipped a couple days later.

I guess I get lucky or something, I still feel confident ordering from him… But that’s just me personally. I’ve had one motor go bad cause I burnt it up on purpose (didn’t intend to destroy it but I might as well have doing what I did) and got it replaced hassle free for the cost of the motor itself in no time.

I read these stories… And it all sucks to hear. I guess :man_shrugging: everyone makes up their own mind. I always get what I pay for and it works, but if it were me that lost $3000 worth of gear to a vendor I wouldn’t be shopping there again. If it were $250 worth of gear that didn’t work I wouldn’t shop there again. If it were $100 worth of gear I wouldn’t shop there again unless I had no choice.

3 Likes

I agree with you feel the same.

2 Likes

I dumped the rest of my statorade in these and went to town with the thermal paste. Brought my average temps from 68-70°C to 45°C when comparing logs with similar consumption. Another benefit is that now motor temps seem super stable, and I didn’t get them to exceed 60°C max.

I tried a little statorade previously, and it seemed to help, but the effect overall was relatively unimpressive.

3 Likes

Where did you put statorade in?

poked through this silicone and got as deep in as I could.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll give it a crack.

is there a video anyone has to tear apart the motors and loctite the bearings in? I’m sick of having this as a paperweight since dexter isn’t responding.

1 Like

Jindra has been pioneering TB DD repair techniques. This might help:

3 Likes

Ya I must apologize for getting fired up and using this forum to vent. I apologize for that. Dexter was super responsive until he wasnt and i learned a lot through the experience, expensive lesson but that is par for the course when jumping into DIY & starting to build these wonderful machines. No disrespect intended just frustration being vented in the wrong place. I appreciate this community very much and don’t ever want to bring any energy here that is not productive and helpful. And will not make that mistake again. Thanks to everyone thst makes this community so wonderful!

6 Likes

No need to apologize, you’ve lost enough money on these drives that it’s warranted :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Nice, was really looking forward to someone to test it

1 Like

Update… Seems to lose its effectiveness after a couple rides. :neutral_face:

I feel like my DDs these days just heat up more than they used to. Statorade helps, but it seems it helps like a bandaid.

2 Likes