tomiboi-Esk8 Ratcheting toe-clips are in stock!

They have arrived!! Thank you to everyone that made the presale a success!! They’ll start shipping out on Monday. The presale price is extended through Sunday at midnight US MST. You can still get them for $70 until then. After that, the price goes up to $95 for pair. Ratcheting Toe-clips (tomiboiesk8.com)

19 Likes

My body is ready

3 Likes

same, but my wallet sure wasnt. sigh (I couldn’t miss the 25 dollars off presale)
Like many of us, I bought these and I don’t even have a board that needs them…

5 Likes

Today is the last day to get the presale price of $75 for the toe-clips Ratcheting Toe-clips (tomiboiesk8.com) They go up to $95 at midnight. Thanks again to everyone that has bought a set. They start shipping tomorrow. I’m excited to see how they work out for everyone :metal: :pizza:

3 Likes

Also, if anyone has an interest in learning more about getting an injection molded part/s made, give me a shout. I’m happy to share my experience. It’s remarkably easy for a regular person to do, there is just a large up-front investment, and you have to plan for large volume (Injection molding companies don’t do small batches).

11 Likes

What’s stopping your supplier in China from giving the mold to other brands to use? How are you going to keep your IP safe?

5 Likes

First bare in mind that this isn’t state of the art medical or military equipment. It’s a fairly easy to replicate toe-clip. Trampa will probably have a version of it on their site next month :joy:

That being said, my primary protection is trust (though that might sound laughable). I found my molding company by submitting an RFQ on Alibaba. There was a lot of competition. I was able to do a lot of research into the companies’ backgrounds through Alibaba. After doing a lot of research and communication, I was able to narrow the competition down to a few companies that seemed to be really professional.
The company that I chose will lose my future business if they sell my idea elsewhere. Additionally, they run the risk of getting themselves black-balled on Alibaba, which is easy to do. Alibaba doesn’t really care about their vendors too much.
Lastly, if they sell my exact parts to anyone who tries to sell them in the States, there will be lawyers involved. That’s a promise.

17 Likes

I dont know much about the injection molding process, do you own your physical molds? Like, if you wanted to stop using a particular company could you have them ship you the molds (or ship them to a different company to use)?

Would another company even be able to use them?

5 Likes

I own my molds. The company I’m using will ship them for a fee. They heavy.
Molds do have a life span. Mine are about 100k units. I probably will stick with this company throughout the life of these molds and if I make it that far :crossed_fingers: I’ll consider changing companies at that point.

The process seems pretty standard, but I don’t know if another company could use them.

5 Likes

Here’s some of the basics for the cost for this project. It cost me $250 to get engineers to optimize my model for injection molding. This involved optimizing material thickness and draft angles for the most part.
Then I had to pay to have molds made. They cost $9500. I paid half up front through Alibaba. They held the money until I received the proofs. Then the full amount was due.

24 Likes

TBH, I’m surprised it wasn’t a lot more expensive. Thank you for sharing that!

13 Likes

Should we be receiving a update on tracking/shipping through email? Can’t wait to get my hands on them :smiley:

1 Like

Yes, they should all be in the mail by Tuesday.

4 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

:eyes:

4 Likes

waititng on usps to get it movin, it was supposed to arrive today lol

but I will assume it arrives wednesday

2 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

Although I don’t think mine are actually gonna be delivered today as well, idk why USPS gets my hopes up like that.

2 Likes

i think usps on druggs

mine’s in demver?

2 Likes

agreed. I’d still like to know where the fuck my geardrives are :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m in Denver. It probably hasn’t made it out yet.

2 Likes