Threaded insert removal and placement

I would just drill in new inserts, leave the old in place and just move the enclosure 2-3cm back or forth

1 Like

but then i have to replace all inserts and also my enclosure perfectly fits literally the whole perimeter of the deck

i might just drill a new hole in the enclosure like 2cm away from the old hole or i might try filling with wood glue then redrill

1 Like

No one thinks about retapping them? :joy:

1 Like

What do you mean by that

I am a noob with threaded inserts so I don’t really know much about them

to recut the thread, if it’s only bent.

1 Like

Nah the thread is completely snapped and when pulling out the insert the whole insert snapped in half

Filling with wood filler now and then will drill a new hole and put in a new insert

If anyone in the U.K. could recommend some inserts (preferably on amazon) which are good and not ridiculously expensive then please do

Wood glue or wood filler is likely not gonna be strong enough. You really need to use epoxy or similar.

1 Like

At a pinch you could use these.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/insert-nuts/cat7280108
They are by no means good but I have used them before.

1 Like

So this is supposed to be some pretty strong stuff and supposedly you can drill through it once hardened

Just put it in will wait half an hour for it to harden

This one is an epoxy type wood filler a sit is 2 parts one being the hardener

1 Like

I can drill through cheese once it’s hardened as well.

1 Like

If it doesn’t work I will just either fill with epoxy or go and make the hole a couple cm away

I’ve seen a couple of people here already recommend epoxy… dunno why you wouldn’t just do it in the first place. But good luck!

1 Like

Cause the only epoxy I have is jb weld and I am low on it so prefer to try something else and that as a backup

What did you end up doing? I am in a simular situation, tried wood glue and redrilling, tried JB weld and redrilling, and both ways the insert is coming out.

2 Likes

So I loctited a bolt into the threaded insert and left it for an hour or 2
Then when it was really solid turned the bolt and the insert came out with the bolt

2 Likes

I ended up just drilling a new insert hole a couple centimeters away and filling the hole in my enclosure with epoxy. I just left the old insert hole in the deck.

1 Like

The inserts i bought were complete junk so I gotta replace

You can’t get ez lok in the U.K. without spending a bomb

Anyone in the eu/U.K. know where to get some good ones from

1 Like

Sorry to bring this thread up again
But I bought random eBay inserts and they were aweful

What decent inserts can I get for like a fiver for a lot of 8
Thanks

Yes only use epoxy if your 100% sure you will never get that fucker out (voice of experience) I am doing my M6 inserts on my carbon fibre and fibreglass build “TUBBY” next weekend just waiting on the M6 fender washers.

Going to use the @longhairedboy method of electric drill sawn off M6 bolt 2 inserts an washers.

2 Likes