Thoughts on Flipsky VX1

Is this the same for the VX2?

I think the vx2 uses just uart.

1 Like

Yes and furthermore the VX2 has no option to run in PPM mode like VX1.

I like the “Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” mode which exists in PPM only. I guess you just motivated me for a pull request on vedder’s page :ok_hand: we finally need equal rights for ppm and uart in 2020.

2 Likes

Interesting, so has anyone been able to use the control modes on the VX2? I like using UART for the setup simplicity. Control modes would be nice

It is not possible with VX2 or any other remote which is connected to UART.

Just made this chart for selectable control types in Vesc-Tool:

2 Likes

what is “Hyst”? I assumed it was a typo in the app, but idk

Hysteresis Reverse (aka ackmaniac port), I did a pull request in 2017 and it was implemented in 2019 in FW3.58. For clarification here the explanation of it and compared to smart reverse.

Current Hyst Reverse With Brake
After hitting the brake the second time the board accelerates in reverse (from standstill). The throttle behaviour is like forward acceleration, after letting the throttle go and “brake” again it keeps accelerating in reverse, from low speed to top speed. For braking you need to move the throttle in the other direction (like normal accelerating). After accelerating from standstill it changes to normal forward mode.

Or in short words, after hitting the brake the second time the whole remote is mirror inverted until you accelerate forward from standstill again.

Smart Reverse
After hitting the brake 100% it starts to accelerate in reverse with a certain ramp up time. The speed or force can be controlled with the throttle position (after hitting 100% brake). After letting the throttle go and “brake” again it brakes (and not accelerates while riding in reverse, that’s confusing for me).

Smart reverse is great for a full stop and keep position on hills or inclines or for turning around.
The hysteresis reverse is king if you want to ride in both directions regularly.

2 Likes

This feature is nicely available for flipsky uart remotes, though I have no idea how to enable this, I just got it when I updated to (3.58?), when it got released.
Basically everything works normally, but when you brake down at 100% (usually at a stop), the wheels will spin backward at around 5kph max.
This works only if you pull down the throttle at 100% and won’t ever activate it when you ride, so it’s something really nice if you are staying at a stop on a hill, or if you want to go backward for a few seconds.

Smart reverse is enabled by default for remotes connected to UART. You can disable it or/and change some settings (and throttle curves) in the vesc remote app instead of ppm app.

Do you mean after braking and coming to a standstill stop?

I am using “smart reverse” mode with unsensored BLDC.
It starts reversing before I come to a standstill stop and starts cogging :confused:

That’s « normal » because you need sensored motors to be able to do that, as it’s at a relatively low speed

2 Likes

Hmm this is a good idea, I will probably do that on mine. I left mine unconnected cuz I didn’t want to deal with it yet and I have a BT module and battery meter lol

ahhk . I see

Yeap, unsensored will always cog at low speed, have you tried the new HFI mode that make unsensored motor smoother?

1 Like

Is intuitive and awesome

Is junk.

1 Like

You can’t limit duty cycle for hyst mode. Is there another way to limit speed?

Only using smart reverse so when I lend my board the rider doesn’t launch it into reverse almost killing someones ankles

That gave me a good laugh :joy:
I like it but it should be called smart brake. Stopping and keep position on an incline is definitely an upgrade for me.

Yes you can limit negative ERPM in Vesc-Tool (or max. reverse speed in a profile on the mobile app). But I don’t recommend it because when you roll in reverse faster than your max. reverse speed (e.g. down a hill) you get in troubles. The brakes don’t react and at almost full throttle the brakes just lock up. Guess why I know…

1 Like

Yeah that’s what i figured. Easy fix would seem to make “smart reverse max duty cycle” also apply to hyst mode. @Trampa

Smart reverse is the only way to handle panicking efficiently. If you ride with bindings and you start rolling into traffic or into a steep drop, you will try to brake and hold the brake to prevent any further rolling forward. That is the moment when the board will gently pull you back a bit and save you. In such a situation you can’t activate any other reverse mode, since you panic and normal thinking and handling of things is limited. The last thing you would do in a difficult situation is let go the brakes to re-engage them. You hold the brakes, that is all you do in such a situation.

Hysteresis reverse is a different beast and can be used in different applications or for different ride styles.
Maybe you want to invert the remote to go fast in the other direction. You can always limit the top speed for reverse in the PROFILES.

2 Likes

I’ll give that a shot. Is it for FOC only?

1 Like