thinking about going lipo

Yes he does. 48 was the minimum he would sell to me in Canada I got the feeling he had a lot.

1 Like

Checking it out now.

Just messaged him :grin:

1 Like

I actually use the 6s version of that battery. 99 whr biggest cells you can get on a commerical flight without extra permissioning. had them in a 12s2p config with 4 of the cells. on 8 inch tires I was getting 13 mile ish. Also if you baby your lipos, they last a long time. I have the same set for 2 years and they are still going strong.

1 Like

What are people’s thoughts on the A123? I know it will be tremendously heavier than a couple lipos. Is it worth it? Will I get more range out of the lipos? Seems like I’ll be getting around the same amps with a 12s4-5p as the lipos.

Lifepo4 nominal are 3.2v. Lipos are 3.7v so you would need more “ah” and/or “s count” to get the same watthours.

1 Like

calling @b264 this is right up his ally

think of the chemistry advantages dis advantages

li-po advantage is
large discharge ampage
light
can build smaller AH packs making them cheep in small packs

li ion
good middle ground of discharge amps
good middle ground of voltage 3-4.2v
good Wh density
good life span

lifo-po
grate voltage range
cheep grate in large packs
long life span
very stable chemistry (safety)

2 Likes

LiFePO4 has everything in the world except high range. It excels in all the other metric. Perfect for high-milage boards and commuter boards where they’re going to do the same short trips countless times.

3 Likes

Don’t LiFePO4 batteries have quite a flat voltage-capacity curve compared to other chemistries? It makes gauging the remaining capacity hard based on voltage alone.

4 Likes

Similar to lipos in that manner. Have to keep track of watt hours.

3 Likes

Yes. For example, a 12S LiFePO4 battery will be right around 39.5V (resting voltage) throughout most of the discharge cycle. Some say this makes it hard to tell how much range you have left, others say it means you don’t feel much sag. Both are true, really.

9 Likes

The thought that people would want a battery to have a discharge voltage curve thats large so they can tell how much battery they have seems backwards to me. the fact lifepo4 get you the same output speed and wattage throughout their discharge better than maybe any other cell out there is a great advantage.

Some of the biggest benefits are their ability to charge at warp speed and theyre rated for a huge amount of cycles. I’ve seen them written at 4000 cycles or 2000 cycles depending on discharge current and going to full discharge of 2.5v. I baby them and cut off at 3v.

There’s a thread on rcgroups a guy has spent years abusing them with good results. Overcharge. Over discharge. Speed charge…

Maybe the biggest lifepo4 plus for diyers is how they’re pretty indestructible. I can’t get them to go to fire electrically shorting a couple at once even. Drilling through one was even a low key event.

If only they had more capacity they would be the winner in every category (all said above by others…I guess I like to talk up the chem)

7 Likes

Sag is a good point it’s one of the reasons I cut of my Small li-ion packs early

Disadvantages
Power density
discharge C rating
Pack total weight (Kg)

1 Like

Because of voltage sag you set your low voltage cutoff point higher?

Soft cut of yes so it apples a curve earlier to reduce the voltage sag hitting the hard cut off

2 Likes

Just curious…why not lower the hard cutoff (with soft cutoff still a bit above that) since the sag is a “fake” voltage and the true resting voltage is a lot higher?

Or is there some quality-of-ride thing I am missing due to my esk8 noobness?

1 Like

:flushed:, I want pics!

Aren’t you sitting on a literal mountain of A123 cells?
I’ve got another 48 in an emc unit still.

2 Likes

I’m finally going to make a site n sell them. Luke n I bought 4000. I’ve been working through them. Just made another battery. 220$.

Luke drilled one by mistake. No pics. I wish.

@Arzamenable

1 Like

Because i get 0.4v drop acros eatch cell when I take off witch means as soon as I hit 3v a cell I can apply a load and drop it to almost the hard cut off at 2.5.

As the cells deplete this drop gets worse any thing up to 0.6v a cell

I got my
hard cut off at 2.5
Soft cut at 3.2 for throttling and I can feel the drop on powere giving me a pre warning to think about charging or ride more eficetly

2 Likes

Can confirm that : i just got 4wh/km avrage consumption on a pretty hilly ride with a pair of hub motors and 10s 5000mAh made out of lipos, new personal efficiency record :v:

1 Like