thinking about going lipo

I’ve been thinking about using Headway’s lifepo4 cells. The 38120 HP cells from batteryhookup.com They have them new for like $15. They are 8ah Lifepo4 cells that will do 200amps of continuous current, and are rated for well over 1,000 cycles. A 12s2p pack would be an interesting starting point at 16ah’s. It would have very little voltage sag, but it would be kind of costly. It’s also solderless. With these cells, you get a high current pack that will last much longer than lipo.

The Lipos I got from ampow.com and the BMS I finally went with was a Daly 12s smart BMS.

Lifepo4s have around half the energy density as Li-Ion batteries however, which is primarily the reason they’re not that commonly used. A Lifepo pack would need to be both larger and heavier to match the range of a Li-Ion pack, which isn’t desirable in the limited space you have on a board.

1 Like

Did you make sure its for li-ion/lipo and not lifepo4.

True but if all you want is a 6 mile commuter, you cant beat lifepo4 or lipos. li-ions won’t have the discharge. ask @b264 I think he has like 3 lifepo4 boards. lol

3 Likes

Yeah, I made sure to double check that :grin:

True, but he’s a bit of an exception rather than the norm :slight_smile: . Not many people run super single short boards

3 Likes

I can’t even ride a regular short board :rofl:

Yes, if high range isn’t on your list of needs then LiFePO4 is absolutely what you want because it excels in EVERY other metric. Discharge, cycle life, safety, cold weather, regen/fast charge, you name it. Except high range.

It’s perfect for commuter boards / high-milage boards.

1 Like

Well, how many miles will a 16ah lifepo4 do? Should do at least 15 miles, but I’m thinking more like 20. Am I wrong?

Assuming 12S (43.8V) on polyurethane, then it should do at least 20mi (32km)

80% of that range will be right around 39.5V

2 Likes

That’s good enough for me.

2 Likes

Also probably 3000 charge cycles

1 Like

There’s a fellow selling A123 26650 LiFePO4 cells on endless-sphere:

I got them from batteryhookup and got too many. Will sell for 1.50 a cell. Can show they have 95% capacity and can guarantee that. They’re from backup power supplies used in a hospital.

I just bought 48 of 'em and I don’t have the skills or equipment to test em but they look nice.

3 Likes

I am considering 14s2p of these for a board myself. price is ridiculously cheap

£14 / 100wh lol

3 Likes

4 Likes

Damn! That’s one hell of a deal!

Looking to power a house? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Yup and the seller on endless-sphere is Hummina Shadeeba who is presumably the same guy as @hummieee on this board and is a well-respected dude.

3 Likes

Does he have anymore?