Thing1/ 1st(good)build /vesc6 /dual 6355 /12s5p

He’s using 60t wheel pulleys and you have 40t.
Can’t tell but it also looked like you’re using one idler on each mounts not two.

Here are pictures

How far down should I go in belt size

Please stop now.

33 Likes

Why aren’t you using both idlers?

Cause he recommended with 1 idler to use 400mm belts with my pulleys

I will try with two idlers now and see how it goes

Will free rolling distance be decreased by a large amount

Personally don’t use idlers. Couldn’t tell you much on how or if they change performance. Ive heard people argue both sides :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I will try using no idlers then

I wouldn’t do that on those mounts.
Your idlers on those mounts are your only form of adjusting belt tension.

This is an idler versus a non idler mount.
Notice how the non idler allows the motor itself to be moved up and down the mount.

1 Like

I would go down to like a 380 belt size and also where is one of your motor screws?

3 Likes

It looks like your belt size might work with dual idlers. Might be worth a try before buying more shit.

But yeah you want the belt to slightly deflect when you push on it as hard as you can, any more slack than that is to much IMO, i know you can get away with a bit more on idler mounts.

Next question, how did you not realize that your “weak braking and acceleration” is literally because the belts aren’t engaging the motor and wheel teeth?

I mean isn’t that obvious to you when your riding the board?

5 Likes

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Man this is a real mindfuck. It looks like it’ll probably be fine with dual idlers but I can’t even understand this thread anymore.

2 Likes

I’m so close to adding a certain person to my block list just to spare myself some braincells

6 Likes

That belt is so loose I want to tell a “your mom” joke.

9 Likes

All hope has been lost

2 Likes

i realised something was wrong with the belt but when I bought this kit the guy was insistent that 400mm was the right size for this mount

The thing is though is if you did a decent amount of research about esk8 you would have realized the moment you put it on there something was wrong.
Your belt is comically loose.

Really looks like the second idler would fix things tho

8 Likes

will see and try tomorrow

watch this video, at 15:40 he puts on the belt so you can get an idea of how much tension there should be. This is one of the first esk8 videos I watched when educating myself, I would highly recommend watching the whole thing and if you’ve already seen it you could benefit from watching it again. I’ve watched this prolly 10X when setting up my motors and belts the first time, always rewinding and looking closely at how he’s doing things and trying to replicate them.

3 Likes

Those are some super long motor mounts! I think you definitely need the 2nd idler, because otherwise there’s too much space for the belt to slack, meaning it’ll either skip teeth if the belt is too long, or be too tight for a smooth free-roll experience if the belt is short.

Belt skipping can easily eat off teeth from your belt (i.e., ruining it, causing you to buy a new one), and also damage pulleys if they’re not made from strong material like steel. Definitely don’t ride your board around with it making sound, will just end up costing you more.