The Unfancy Remote | WIP DIY reliable remote

It’s an option, but I am close to maxing out the GPIO in the Arduino and I really want to add haptic feedback. My intention is to unify the code and control the role using a settings file Marlin style (at least at first, a companion app/configurator would be best)

I am adding decoupling capacitors now that the general layout is finalized, very good points.
I have very little experience (fortunately with Arduino derived boards for robotics and some toy RF stuff), but taking into account that:

• The really complex stuff is contained inside the LoRa module (which has a shield and I assume is done by someone with a lot more experience than me).
  • I’m using off-the-shelf modules, which mostly “only” require clean power (which will be provided by an external LiPo charging PCB+ buck/boost converter).
  • The frequencies and power levels are really low.

I think I can get away with this simple PCB that will be easy and cheap to manufacture using something like JLCPCB.

Even though I work as a programmer, my formal education was as a telecommunications engineer and I had a lot of EM theory/circuit design stuff during my university years…without practical experience it doesn’t mean much, but I know enough to be aware of what I don’t know. Please feel free to add anything you might think will cause problems!

10 Likes

I’ve seen the original project and love the small size and mechanical design, hated the NRF24 module. Didn’t know about the improved nano version! However, the module it uses works on the 868/915MHz band and I have had some issues with drones running those frequencies…

Also, not a fan of 3D printing the whole throttle assembly, I think a ball bearing gives a lot better feel. That paired with connectors for everything I believe will result in a much more approachable project.

To top it off, my current VX1 is scratched, cracked and has seen me fall off my mountainboard a LOT. I really think a screen will be the first thing to fail (for me), and I’d rather have more robust feedback systems. Still, I think a lot can be learnt from thos projects and I would take into account the work done on them!

4 Likes

I almost forgot! Not a fan of latching buttons for the same reason. Of course a circuit can also fail, but this is something that will be thrown around and bashed. I really don’t want to trust that it won’t suddendly turn off due to vibrations/mechanical failure/accidental press.

In that regard I really think the VX1 hit the nail on the head.

2 Likes

Pulled the trigger on the first prototype batch, files are uploaded to GitHub. Wish me luck!

24 Likes

Good luck dude!

1 Like

Awesome progress. Pm me if you want an alpha tester. I’ll pay for the parts of course.

4 Likes

Next up is a decent case with power/battery management board and a secure holder for the hall sensor. Then we enter alpha phase provided the PCBs work…I should have enough for about 10 remotes (TX+RX)

I don’t want to anticipate anything because something or other will not work in this first attempt but it’s coming and whoever wants to be a guinea pig is more than welcome. I’ll open up the alpha spots as soon as I have something more real in my hands! Thanks!

2 Likes

Would it be possible to plug a premade thumb-wheel into your remote like this one from ruffy controls? MSA SERIES | Controllers (ruffycontrols.com)

1 Like

If you were looking for an ‘off the shelf’ 1S bms, I’ve had really good luck with these, pretty much unbeatable for the price and USB C is convenient if nothing else.

2 Likes

I’ve used those linked devices as well; they are nice.

2 Likes

Exactly the ones I ordered! :grin:

1 Like

They would require some testing, because the logic of my remote works at 3.3V. Holy shit that price, I really hope they’re basically bulletproof xD

2 Likes

Haha cheers!

Yeah, they’re 5V. I used them on the feather/firefly remote which uses 3.3V logic but it took some extra components to make it happen. They’re quite nice, but the price is a bit prohibitive. Although we are talking about the actual part that interfaces us with our eboard. It’s a pretty important part.

7 Likes

Waiting for PCBs like…

13 Likes

Vaya pasada tío, me encanta tu proyecto! Si necesitas algo de ayuda, escríbeme, que la logística es más fácil al estar los 2 en España :slight_smile:

“That it’s so cool bro, i love your project! If you need any help pm me, the logistics are easier as we both live in Spain!”

1 Like

Thanks! For sure, if you’re around the Madrid area we can even organize a mini group ride to test it and die together xD

6 Likes

I’m actually in Sevilla/Málaga, but have no problem driving up there with my board to give it a test!

Dying together might be a little too intense for a first date :rofl:, but I’m down anyway!

8 Likes

And due to popular demand…another prototype:

PCBs should be here next week…notice the two throttle inputs? :smirk:

BTW, what is the usual control schema on dual triggers? Does the brake “subtract” from the throttle when applied simultaneously or takes immediate effect? I have been thinking that even multiple choices could be offered and tweaked depending on rider preferences.

19 Likes