The Unfancy Remote | WIP DIY reliable remote

Really interesting idea, definitely following

1 Like

Arduinos, sensors, 3d prints, and esk8? Count me all the way in.

Let me know when we’re ready for some testers on this bad boy

6 Likes

First off this is awesome.
No to power modes, Hoyt Puck has this and it can burn in fire. XD

Every time I puck slide or bump my remote semi hard it will drop into mode one.
Not sure how your remote will work but fuck having a chance of dropping modes.

3 Likes

Do you have any plans for a trigger version?

2 Likes

You guys are relentless!!

I have been actually researching on the Evolve R2 and it has piqued my interest. Definitely looks cool and I think I can easily adapt both the code and the hall sensor mechanism (with smaller bearings that are on the way) to easily support thumbwheel, trigger or dual trigger styles. I still intend to have a usable thumbwheel version first, but definitely on the roadmap.

3 Likes

I have started the repo, but:

• I only pushed what I have because I don’t want to fall in the “I’ll publish it when it’s awesome/perfect/I’m happy with it” trap.
  • The code is nowhere near production quality (basically examples from the library with minor modifications), and the cad files are JUST TO VALIDATE IDEAS.

In short: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE AS AN ACTUAL REMOTE YET

Regardless, I’m excited and motivated by the community’s response. Let’s do this!

14 Likes

Hmm, the maytech dual trigger remote is on PPM, it’s connected to uart to get telemetry tho.
The triggers works on PPM, and the remote works just fine without connecting the uart.

4 Likes

It’s interesting that you were thinking about LoRa at the same time as flipsky! It does feel like (spread spectrum modulation) LoRa 2.4GHz is a good answer to esk8 interferance issues. Co-channel suppression is a respectable 19.5dB so I’m expecting this chip to be popular going forward.

Very interested in this project dude, good luck and I’ll be keeping a keen eye on this.

7 Likes

That’s what I like to hear. So excited if this turn out to be awesome dual trigger remote in the future.

Also if you need funds to persue this path faster :joy: I am more then happy to help.

2 Likes

Same haha

1 Like

I’d preorder a prototype

Thanks for the offers guys, but no preorders! I want to have something working to offer and then will probably do a beta batch with the community. Will be very DIY though, not for the faint of heart!

7 Likes

Have you considered a KickStarter? Or maybe just a GoFundMe? Perhaps a PO box we can mail soggy bills to?

2 Likes

I will send you guys the address to a trash can were you can leave your money in paper bags and receive further instructions down the line. I think it will be better than some esk8 kickstarters :joy:

Seriously though, I don’t think this is going to be sold as a product, but who knows. For starters, my intention is to give a comprehensive set of instructions CheapFOCer2 style.

11 Likes

The only thing I am not comfortable to do as DIY is the remote. For me the risk of screwing something up and potentially getting hurt is much higher then the money saved and good feeling of making it by yourself.

Especially when you see that even the best remotes out there have some issues.

So i hope this will be sold as a pre assambled product. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Progress!

It’s been years since I’ve done any PCB work, so v0.1 is probably going to be a little rough around the edges. The idea is to have a common PCB for both TX and RX, giving up some size for cost and convenience. A single resistor controls wether the thing is powered by the VESC through the PPM connector or through a push-on/hold-off circuit VX1 style. Two ports for hall sensors allow dual trigger versions and JST plugs are used for everything (big, I know, but secure and most of us probably have some due to them being the de facto standard in the VESC world)

10 Likes

Instead of having to maintain two separate projects with parallel implementations of the communication peice I was thinking that it could be accomplished by pulling one of the gpios to ground.

That way you flash the same firmware to both the receiver and transmitter and then in setup you read that pin and initialize in either tx or rx mode.

1 Like

Have you seen the firefly nano remote. I used this for months before i decided to get a puck. It was great, but still suffered from the odd disconnect like you mentioned. It used the haltec lora modules with the LCD screen for both units, hall effect sensors and magnets for the input.

The benefit was with the heltec units, everything was on the one circuit board.

3 Likes

Nice to see GND planes, stitched well too!

Potential things to add…

• Pads for VCC bulk capacitance?
  • ESD protection?

Not saying you need them, just tossing stuff in for consideration.

1 Like

Good pt - I assumed the Unfancy was taking tips from the Firefly. If not, def take a look @thunkar

1 Like