The Unfancy Remote | WIP DIY reliable remote

Thing is an 18350 would allow for a shorter remote. The cells are slim enough, but an 18650 is pretty tall compared to the PCBs.

18350 cells are also pretty cheap, I recommend getting a couple to work with.

Dude! I love the enthusiasm, but I haven’t tested V2 yet :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

It looks like I have to speed up writing the manual!

Guys, everyone has a different opinion on what the best features are, but that’s the beauty of making your own. We now have several options and there are more to come, and as the project matures this is only gonna get better.

11 Likes

Ahhh, I see now. I was confusing the model of the battery tube with a model of an 18650 cell. My mistake :slightly_smiling_face:

If it doesn’t work out of the box I demand a full refund on this completely free and open source project!

I’m guessing it will take a month or two for everything to arrive from Aliexpress. I’m comfortable making SMD component changes or modifications. Just excited to test out a new remote :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Have you not looked at any of the screenshots I’ve posted? There’s is a negligible amount of length added by using a 18650 tube vs 18350. Feel free to design a shell that uses 18350 if you are that passionate about it.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say negligible, it’s 30mm

If you look at this picture, yo can see that this

Doesn’t make any difference as the PCB it’s almost the same size as the 18650 cell. A shorter cell would not make the remote any shorter as you would also have to fit the trigger mechanism.

Edit: drawing of how awkward the shape of the remote would be if the cell was shorter:

4 Likes

You could make the corners a lot more rounded though. I still think a 14500 is ideal, but whatevs

3 Likes

Thank you for that. That’s what I was saying.

2 Likes

I also think a smaller cell would be better, i was just pointing out how a shorter cell wouldn’t make that much of a difference in size…

A smaller diameter AND smaller length cell does impact a lot more in total volume and confortableness (is that even a word?)

:grin:

2 Likes

I may look into that to thin the remote down. Right now I should be able to save a few mm on the thickness of the remote if I just modify the current design. Right now it feels a tad too chunky.

2 Likes

My concern is this corner, the “small hand killer”

It takes away valuable space from the thumb of small hands.

1 Like

I will probably make a miniature version for smaller hands. I’ve been having my coworkers try it out, all males, but a variety of hand sizes, and even the smallest handed people still find it easy to use. My main concern is the triggers and springs right now. The springs I ordered are way too heavy, so I need to order lighter springs and beef up some areas of the triggers. I’d really like to find an all in one trigger, but the only thing I’ve found on mouser is a simple on/off style.

2 Likes

Do you not have one of these?
41rYQrggOgL.AC_SY780

1 Like

no, they are floppy and ugly

Life hack: Ditch the pouch, Dremel a lil gap in the housing, put the coil inside your device, and pretend the plug is just a dust cover.

1 Like

My concern is the brake trigger doesn’t look ergonomic; it looks like it involves the same unergonomic digit movement as a thumbwheel. The thumb pivots on joints and it appears this control might not be moving in that same way. Is this operated by “sliding the thumb forward” instead of pivoting the thumb joint? I haven’t held one yet, so I am only brainstorming here. But this is a big reason why thumb wheels suck IMHO.

3 Likes

I think extending the thumb trigger could make it more comfortable. Napkin doodle:

8 Likes

The bird feet make it go faster

2 Likes

This is actually interesting - are there any remotes period that have the wheel sideways? It would make ergonomic sense to, but I don’t think it makes intuitive sense.

2 Likes