The Unfancy Remote | WIP DIY reliable remote

Electrically I can’t think of any problems with that but asking users to remove some of the wrap is a potential safety and liability issue. What if that cell gets used somewhere else?

How about a screw-in cap with the contact in it and a tab sticking out to touch something in the grip?

3 Likes

What about incorporating a premade 18650 holder into your design?

Like this:

2 Likes

Or something like these?

8 Likes

Bear in mind that the only really high one was the first prototype because I soldered male and female pin headers so I could remove the Arduino. After I stopped using the screw mounting hole that was underneath the Arduino, I ended up soldering it directly with a single male pinheader row, which reduced the height significantly. I’ll get a picture as soon as I can.

Another option would be to solder the Arduino on the other side of the PCB.

I was thinking of that, just a potential point of failure. Last thing we want is the battery losing contact at 25mph. Those battery tubes might work, just not sure on room and ease of use.

@Baxter No room, and then we need a door to access the battery instead of a screw on cap. I’m not confident in the ability of the door to hold the battery in securely enough so it doesn’t come loose while riding.

@thunkar I’m just going off the model that’s on github, so not sure if it’s lower than that or not.

1 Like

The model is an absolute worst case, but maybe an extra mm can be squeezed.

I was thinking of just taking the plastic spacers off the pin headers, insulating the components under the arduino with electrical tape, then putting the arduino on the pins and soldering it as low as it can go. If I can put it on the back then that may work as well.

Would it be difficult to add a spring onto the screw on cap to push into the cell when screwed into the case, similar to an AA battery compartment?

@thunkar check out single battery vape mods for inspiration, a lot of them are very hold-able with an easily-replacable 21700 inside.

2 Likes

I was thinking of doing that, but would still need contact for the negative side of the battery.

Right now I have the remote pretty much complete. I need to do some tests to see if I have to use heat set inserts, or if just threading directly into the plastic is good enough. I know if I resin print it that I can just model in the threads and be done with it. 18650 battery tube is in. I’m considering ordering some of those usb c charging boards to see if it saves some room vs the 5v regulator. Only issue with this is that I don’t think the led’s line up nicely.

I have the bearings, springs are on order from mcmaster. I’ll have to pick up some of the hall sensors and magnets. Hopefully I can get this together in a timely fashion, I want to have it ready for when my board is completed (stormcore 60d is on backorder).

8 Likes

THE FANCIEST REMOTE THREAD!

Can u add a screen? :smiley:

5 Likes

I love this :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I could probably put a small oled display on the top hump, that way it stays ambidextrous. @thunkar would have to do the programming for it though :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t want to sound rude, but that literally defeats the purpose of the remote. Which is being simple, reliable and cheap.

Adding a screen means having to transmit telemetry from the vesc which complicates things, and there are already a few remotes that do that!

By the way, i wanted to say also that a 21700 cell it’s completely overkill for a remote, adds weight, size and complexity to the remote. A 18650 it’s plenty of power for a remote. I would base my designing resources in making interchangable batteries.

11 Likes

I believe it was sarcasm

3 Likes

Me right now :joy:
sarcasm-sarcasm-sign

5 Likes

Your not rude @Oddcomo :slight_smile:
Yes, this was the unfancy remote. But now. It is taken on a life on it’s own, and will now only be known as, the fanciest remote!

5 Likes

difference between 21700 and 18650 is minimal but capacity has a bigger differance.

1 Like

i don’t care how u guy gonna improve it more, if it doesn’t have wireless charging pad / coil, then its never complete

2 Likes

I know capacity it’s very important, but who realistically needs 80h runtime in a remote? With 40h of runtime you would only need to charge it once a month for most riders.

Fast charging or replaceable batteries are the most important i think. Like getting 5h of runtime with 15mins of charging would be awesome.

2 Likes