The Step Bro - A Largely 3d Printed Build - COMPLETE!

@Venom121212 did you not try 9"?

3 Likes

I’ve tried both. And like both. In the UK 9" is good for winter but don’t have the use in summer. On rough and loose stuff they are great.

8" is also good and noticeably lighter. You can always do 9" rear 8" front too.

I didn’t have any real issues with jumping. My PP is me jumping on 9" wouldn’t have been able to make that jump on the 8" I have as it was wet and slippery

2 Likes

I pretty much run 9" exclusively now on my main board. The heavy wheels feel nice and locked in at speed. I don’t really notice a loss in snappiness but I did have to adjust bushings a bit. @rusins is pretty spot on

3 Likes

I got l-faster tires. They’ve been great, not 100% perfect on balance but pretty good.

9 inch tires do feel huge tho and are significantly heavier and less maneuverable than 8’s

8’s are great for most Offroad but I get so much clearance on 9’s I find I can go faster with em

3 Likes

imo 9’s feel way better. but i hate having the extra weight especially on the front.
pkp- 8’s only
channel- vary on the terrain/ weather i’ll be riding in

4 Likes

Ah this is all great feedback! thanks dudes!

I thought I was gonna get a bunch of anti-9 inch propaganda, but your opinions are super helpful.

This is pretty much exactly the intended use case! I don’t have any real desire to get airborne.

I assume these two statements kinda relate to each other? I’m definitely going with the airs, so curious as to why you think they should only run 8 in Jack? Is it because the pkps become significantly harder to manoeuvre on 9s?

I assume these are the ones you are talking about? which ones do you use @Venom121212 ? Kinda not so much concerned about balance as I am about hard compound / longevity.

Given that I’m gonna have the undermount battery and also need a 10mm riser in the front already to compensate for the split angles in the deck, I think 9 inch is the clear winner. I am a little concerned about the weight, but when my only previous mtb experience is Madness, I think I’m probably gonna be ok with the weight on a 2wd build with a much smaller battery :rofl: manoeuvrability is also a concern, but not a deal breaker, I think for what I will gain with the bigger tires, will be a fair trade off here.

2 Likes

Yep, they used to be cheaper though.

They are quite a hard compound and seem to have a good amount of durability. I think Justin would agree

3 Likes

100% agreeance on all points. I love the shinier/harder compounds, especially on larger tires. I’ve ordered 4 sets of them (increased price is annoying) and they’ve all been balanced enough for me not to notice or add weights. The added weight and size does suck a bit for popping the front end up but I can truck through the grass and woods going so much faster than with 8". The bump steer doesn’t feel as noticeable either but that could just be me.

4 Likes

My 9" tires are fine on Apex airs at the back of my board. It’s the front where I had an RKP truck where they were an issue, but I switched to Newbee RTKP and it’s fine again

2 Likes

Love my 9’s on my Airs for the most part. Must be a Trampa problem :crazy_face:

1 Like

Not trampas lol. same geometry as airs tho.

pkps on 8s are as compfy as channels on 9s which is like riding a cloud. and using a ‘cushy’ truck with cushy tyres makes it feel too spongy for me (i like to be able to hard hit an edge and slide on tarmac)

also those ali 9" tyres are amazing 44mph and no balancing issues, ~2k commuting miles and still got grip, low pressure makes them soft and there huge. mine were 235mm dia and on deep dish megastars were wide af. they used to be around £10 tho

2 Likes

thanks, good input.

I’m definitely gonna start with 9s and see how I go. I think i’ll start with MBS tires and tubes on the new XL rockstars, and maybe then try out those l faster ones later.

4 Likes

well I placed the order very shortly after the last post, but shit happens and life got busy. Made some time to pick up my stuff from @MBS this evening and with any luck I may make some movement on this build over the weekend!

F5 Bindings & heelstraps
9inch tires and tubes
Fivestar hubs

The 9 inch tires are CHONK! I’m apprehensive about the top speed and hope I have enough torque, but time will tell. I went with the fivestars cos they will fit the jump drives without needing another adapter. it also helps that they are a lot cheaper than the XLs… pneumies ain’t cheap! :hot_face:

Let’s see what the weekend brings…

13 Likes

Yep I hear u on top speed concerns. Even with the 9/45 chain drive on 9 inch tyres I think I’ll get over 70km/h :grimacing: on my offroard. They look like they’ll roll over just about anything though!

3 Likes

pretty sure i’m geared for top speed of 55 and even that scares me these days :rofl: there’s only so much skin I can sacrifice to this hobby

6 Likes

I’m smashing 70km/h on 9" all day you puss pants. The big wheels keepn you so well grounded. Do it.

2 Likes

just checked, top speed is about 52kph. it’ll be fiiiiiiine

1 Like

Yeah that’s perfect for offroad!

3 Likes

Plans changed for tomorrow but I just squeezed in a couple of hours!

Not entirely thrilled with the shape of the ends, but it all works great! Hopefully I get some time to get it mounted this weekend!

19 Likes

I love this project so much, im sad to see the deck press go. Hopefully we can get some more awesome and unique deck shapes with 3d printed molds like this

6 Likes