The Prince | 12s10p flight-safe Idea deck build

Motor to ground clearance is 4cm.
Gear drives are slightly lower than the motors, but unless you drive completely parallel over something (and that something is also flat), it doesn’t matter.

Also I broke the motor after the bridge, rails were definitely poking out of the ground there.
I’m telling you man, this is why I need 9" tires :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah we have a few remaining, sorry, not been on the forum lately.

Have a few blemished decks I can sell as with a large discount. Send me a PM and I’ll hook you up with something.

1 Like

Dead board update.

ESC enclosure is CLEAN on the inside still. Very happy with that.

Opened up my drives. On one of them the threadlocker had given away so the motor key started making a tiny mess :sweat_smile:

Hey look! Kevin’s drives aren’t the only ones that suffer from this issue! :smile:

Motor had magnets broken, can is unbalanced, can’t be reused :disappointed:

Also the stator ends had some delamination from the damage of me still riding it like that + some windings were a bit loose, so I hot glued the stator gaps to prevent that from becoming an issue. But for now this stator is useless until I get a new can for it.

I really wanted to get this board rideable so I tried mounting some Luna trucks to it.

Unfortunately Boardnamics adjustable baseplates don’t go to negative angles (something I’d need to avoid wheelbite with these particular narrow Luna hangers), and the Idea mounts are too short so the motors would end up sitting right where the phase wires come out of the ESC box. I don’t want to lower the motors lower because that’s how I broke one in the first place, so for now the board cannot be fixed. :frowning:

Good news

I got a Ramm deck on the way – that will move the ESC box to be at an angle and I should be able to use these mounts :slight_smile:
I got 8" wheels on the way. If I get wheelbite with this setup I might buy some properly sized Lunas. But hopefully my inverted RKP trick will work. I have another board in the making where that trick saved the day… Stay tuned. :slight_smile:

The future

I want to be able to quick-swap wheels if I have a flat. I likely need an Apex drivetrain for that. Gears or chains, or can I DIY belts to work with their system, that is the question…

7 Likes

Update:

I got a Ramm deck. Even put trucks and wheels on it and stood on it with shoes – the camber is way too aggressive unfortunately. Great for a mountainboard stance, but not for a street board. Will be up for sale soon.

I also got a Kaly XL deck. I think with a davega at the front and something else at the back as footstops it will work really well :slight_smile:

However… I still prefer the feel of my switchblade, or even my Trampa MTB with the Trampa Wings. Great concave on those! + I bought this Kaly deck with a DS Eboosted enclosure, so I think I’ll save this Kaly for a future build instead. (I know, I know, too many boards. But this will be my end-game, I swear!)

So on one hand I’m tempted to buy a used Trampa deck off someone and just use that with their wings, however…

I just realized that Moon’s Luna trucks are actually too wide for my Trampa travel bag! So if I get a wide deck that requires wide trucks, I’m going to have to partially disassemble them when I travel :confused:

I also remembered one of the goals I had in mind for this board from the start:

Since I’m unsure if I’ll have the funds to go to Portland next year at all, I think this is the right time to pursue this idea. I’m thinking I could buy back my old enclosure + Idea deck from @CrazedMK , and then mount my ESC + the wires that go to the battery box in the middle in there. Then, thanks to the bracket system, I can disassemble the board small enough to fit into a normal-sized check-in bag. The bracket system + lack of ESC box would also eliminate the motor clearance problem I encountered.

Thoughts? Anyone have a better / different idea for what deck I should use as the platform for this travel build?

2 Likes

Omg the narrow 290mm hanger Lunas I have with 10mm axles fit the Trampa bag. So I can 100% do a jump drive setup to replace the 3ds drives :smiley: (Not that there’s anything wrong with them, I just want to quick-swap wheels + trust metal on metal more)

(Also not that it matters if I end up ditching the Trampa bag to save on shipping, but still, it’s a nice to have)

Welcome back to Raity’s workshop!

Deck acquired:

It has the 20mm drop brackets and inserts installed for the enclosure from my brother’s old build: Brother’s Black Board | Never Summer Reaper | Single 6374 | 10s4p

I tried mounting my 3DS HexL TKP trucks, and they seem to work without wheelbite!

Unfortunately, I don’t seem to have enough axle space to run jump drives on these trucks:

Maybe I could with Hoyt wheels? Or if I got Savage TKPs instead? But those are both expensive purchases.

Let’s see if my narrow 290mm Lunas work:

And it seems like they will! Unfortunately I can’t use my adjustable baseplates with these brackets because on the bottom they don’t have space, and on the top (drop-through) the adjustment bolt gets in the way. But no worries, I think I’ll get a set of fixed split-angle baseplates from Boardnamics (48 and 33 degrees) and that should work fine :slight_smile:

Worst case I’ll switch from 6.5" wheels to 6" and it’ll work no problemo.

Some other interesting facts I discovered:

• The 10mm axles for Luna trucks are too narrow to run Jump drives with MBS wheels
  • The Idea deck bolts for the brackets don’t follow the standard mounting pattern. I can’t put my nice Davega anti-sink plates there :frowning:
  • The 10mm axles on the narrow Luna trucks (300mm total length) would get wheelbite with this setup. Need 320mm total length
  • These brackets are narrow enough that I will be able to mount my motors completely above the hanger! No more broken magnets ever again! :smiley:
  • The Idea deck has nice concave to the sides, but none on the front or back. But fear not, I will buy a Newbee footstop for my back foot, and put a single-bolt toestop on the front where your feet stand over the bracket. That will put my feet right where they need to be to let me take maximum advantage of the concave wings the deck has.
6 Likes

I ordered this Skoa footstop for the front. Now, for the back, do I go:

Orange

Green

Chromed

• Orange
  • Green
  • Chromed

0 voters

3 Likes

You wanna tell us about all of the drugs you’ve been selling to afford all of this?

5 Likes

Inflation was high so I thought I’d invest my life savings into esk8 parts :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

All the parts I was missing have arrived. Had to move the motors a bit backwards because they were hitting the newbee foot-stop. These footstops do exactly what I wanted them to, highly recommend everyone with this deck get some, especially the newbee ones, because they offer left-right adjustment.

Now I need to work on the bottom enclosure.

I probably need a heat-sink for the ESC, anyone know where I can get a small one for a stormcore? @3DServisas is out of stock it seems :confused:

7 Likes

This is hot!!
Not so much with the massive top mount, but I shouldn’t talk as I’ve disgraced a beautiful board with a top mount as well.

4 Likes

Eh, personally I find it looks a bit too wide, almost like a go-kart. But maybe that’s just because I have it next to my low-rider Switchblade :laughing:

Also you can’t really go with narrower RKPs on this deck if you want to use 8" wheels, so it is what it is.

2 Likes

Today’s goal was to finish this board, which I did :slight_smile:

Cut up the old eboosted enclosure for some other board. Glued these 2 pieces together with epoxy to make a smaller box. The goal being that the middle of the board remains free for straps so that I can ratchet my battery box down.

I was initially going to use a Stormcore for this build, but since my mountainboard’s sensors died, I had to swap the Stormcore into that board, and luckily this small enclosure still has space for 2x Trampa ESCs, an XT-90 splitter, a remote receiver, Metr CAN + GPS module :slight_smile:

@CrazedMK had already added inserts to this deck (I bought it from him 2nd hand, that’s why the enclosure holes match up + I ended up with the brackets that I did), I used 2 of the existing inserts, and 2 of the bracket mounting bolts to secure the enclosure down :laughing:

The XT-90 in the side is currently just secured with hot-glue. If it works well I’ll epoxy it in permanently.

Without the battery this board weighs a whole 14kg :exploding_head: That leaves me with 6kg for the suitcase itself, and any extra things I want to travel with.

Anyway, I really want to mount the battery box diagonally so that it sits lower (2 of the box’s feet hang over the edge), but I’m not sure how to secure it well to stay that way :thinking:

Couple of random notes / to-dos:

• These tires are super wobbly. Also with 8" wheels my top loaded speed is 70km/h. 7" SKP tire EU group buy, anyone? :sweat_smile:
  • I need to figure out if I stick with the OSRR remote, or switch to a Puck and buy a Davega for the front. The wires for that will be pretty exposed…
  • I need to test-ride this board, but the ground is covered in snow at the moment :snowflake:
  • Need to figure out if I get deeper drop brackets to lower the ride height, or switch to angled brackets, possibly the ones with integrated adjustable-angle baseplates. I think they’re caliber hanger compatible, so that would be a great option for my Lunas. Depends on if I can live without my rear foot-stop or not.
  • Need to apply griptape
  • Turning radius is pretty great with this setup, I can do laps inside my house :smiley:
  • The current bottom-mounted enclosure isn’t water-sealed enough for my liking. Switching to angled brackets and using a top-box is probably the way to go…
6 Likes

You may not get gps signal for that metr, with the carbon fiber deck. The carbon weave in my lacroix was enough to block it. The lacroix also has a CF enclosure, so perhaps you will be ok.

2 Likes

@rusins HOLY CRAP! 1) im happy to see im not the only person who is so financaly irresponcable with regard to esk8
2) i am always amazed at the things members tackle for a hoby,i applaud your determination.im a good problem solver,but i have weird limits to my genius(im very stabil)electricity isnt my forte i think my noggin disabilitys provide good/bad results with odd limits for problem solving/visulization.
3)YOU GET 9 TO 12 HOURS OF SLEEP!!! I get 4,7 on a FANTASTIC NIGHT(if i get 7 im telling people about it,whistling, jumping &clicking my heels )
4)you have made me feel better about putting Artem’s(skyart)kid thru collage
5) i love the new deck
6)you can build your own batteries etc but how are you set for usless trivia and bad jokes HMMM? building your own battery VS winning trivial pursuit?ok you win

thanks for the entertaining thread,i was too lazy to put all my gear and heated gear to do the testing on my board i should have done, its 2:30AM and 38f(3.33C) im full of Burmeese food my mother in law bought because she gave me 200$ for valentines day,i was too gulty to spend it on my self so i bought a feast and everyone ate too much, i still cant move comfortably, usually if im awake,im terorizing the hills all alone(well me the owils and some coyote bowling,they never lear to scatter till im screaming IM NOT STOPPING GEEEET!!!)

3 Likes

I’ve committed a crime:

With grip applied, and bushings swapped to harder ones I went out on a short ride. Trucks feel really good, deck feels alright, although the front toe-stop is too short and gets painful after a while, and the tires… well, tire wobble is an interesting one because even lowering speed didn’t make them go away :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Lol what?! Is that from the tires!!!?!??!

1 Like

Yep :sweat_smile: Probably going to order some of your tires in the coming days lol

1 Like

Since my Luna drivetrain is being lent out to my brother and Rudi, I put the 3ds TKPs back on this board. I also got rid of the footstops; they made my feet hurt. Hoping I just get used to not having any concave.

Also this board would look really cool like this if I had a small battery on the bottom, instead of the giant top box :see_no_evil:

Fun fact: right now I have 5 boards in working order :smiley:

4 Likes

I wonder if wings would work for something like this

1 Like