The Last Power Supply (Charger) You'll Ever Need

Hmm might be a slight model revision difference. Often the simplest solution is to just purchase another supply. Or hunt down the last ground connection. It’s gotta be there somewhere. It MIGHT be on pcb. In that case you’d have to identify and cut the trace. And that might not be possible (inaccessible trace) so at that point maybe just replace the unit. They’re cheap so that is often the easiest answer.

I’m sorry you’re having a hard time… This is a diy solution so speed bumps are to be expected.

1 Like

Floating grounds goes weeeeeee

2 Likes

1800w yuhu ok xD

Im happy to be proven wrong but those claims scare me.

1 Like

Close examination of the numbers on the sticker reveal nothing but it does seem to be slightly different.

As I mentioned in my rambles earlier the ground was connected to the wire at the back of the daughter board going to the case by the fan, but without that wire the PSU would not power on.

Luckily of the 10 I ordered 1 was a whole different model, 3 would not stay on, and the other 6 miraculously worked fine.

Something dumb I did was not keep track of :
-the one I dropped
-the one I burnt the fan out on then replaced.
-which ones were actually DC isolated.

Tested 12S at 20A

1 Like
2 Likes

It might just be a revision number change on the PCB(s).

2 Likes

Now that I know it works and stuff I want to reduce the number of cables to the power supplies.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5277&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7UhVAwWg_g3aOZSvk51ZmFPNVw78UxtY6bInW6Efsrcg-tkd4wIwHGkaAnJCEALw_wcB

The only why I can think of doing that is by cutting and soldering wires that go to the plug inside all of them, connecting 3 and 3.

Part of the idea being if I connected a higher A DC buck converter then I could run set set of 3 on a different breaker.

1 Like

Careful with connecting the different logic levels. The end for each individual supply is now at a different potential. So you cannot mix the logic connections.

3 Likes

WHY am I only getting 48V out of it? I lost TWO supplies?

Yep leds on two out. I notice one of them had come unplugged.

The one that died but was still plugged in turns on for a brief moment then cuts off.

RIP my charger…

Think I got a solution to my broken power supply problem, and makes a general improvement to the usefulness in it’s regular configuration.

I want to make a battery bank to run the charger off of. I should have all the bits needed to put this together:

Spim08hp cells to make two 12S battery packs
BMS, charger, fuses for each one.

I was a little worried because the unit says/is called 96V but here is is actually max 110V
24S being 100.8V max.

Making this battery bank powered is cool because then it will be a portable DC power supply by nature.

Got the perfect box for it too.

1 Like

But where do you get these? I thought they turned into unobtainium.

1 Like

I got the candy sack 100 with free shipping

I am mostly wondering what set of two 12S chargers I should use to feed them. Handy that they will be able to be taken and used to charge other board when the battery bank is full.

honestly I think some 4A? chargers would be ok. 6-8A just seems like unnecessary

1 Like

confusingly youre right

1 Like

Ah fuck

1 Like

110v in , 96v out.

Like any converter, some voltage drop is expected.
Mind you. 14v drop at 20amps.is a wapping 280w of heat. That’s a small hairdryer…

1 Like

eh, it’s got a fan. As long as that stays moving air it should handle 20A for a good period of time. looked chunky enough in there. Not too complex and soldered very well.

I just actually did something I don’t like to do and discharge a battery before I got the charger for it ready to go. I need to throw together another 12S Spim08hp pack or wire the two honda 12S modules together… Not hard at all lol but I gotta choose one and do it.

1 Like

I’ve actually ordered these parts and am now in the building process of this psu :smiley:

seems to work pretty nicely for now.
adjustable voltage range is about 39V to 58,5V and current adjustment works too.
I’ve not yet tested it over 10A yet because i don’t have a big enough battery to dump all that current into.

an enclosure is coming soon too

3 Likes

Epic! I wonder if you could use a bunch of high temp epoxy to battle harden in a sense that charger to make it last through lots of use/abuse. Given it’s form factor is possibly a backpackable charger.

The 24S2P/24S4P pouch cell battery and DC to DC I am making will be larger than a backpack by a bit.

3 Likes

That’s achtually a great idea! Maybe I’ll put some silastic on the bottom of some components to hold them secure from the vibrations. But I don’t want to put much because of airflow restriction. That thing already screams like a jet engine now xD

And actually it’s going on a big ebike trip soon. Formfactor is just perfect for the power it can output.

2 Likes