The Last Power Supply (Charger) You'll Ever Need

Alright Gang here is my tutorial. I’ve typed up materials and links but for the most part, its just the 25 minute video. Hope you dont mind that. I’ve added some time stamps so you cab Skip around later.

Let me know how this is. I can also do a write up I suppose but this was more fun

1:00 Converters and general tidbits
5:15 How to Turn on Supplies
9:10 How to DC isolate
20: Assembly

PSU Option:

Converter

14 Likes

Processing?

1 Like

yes, soon done now

2 Likes

Nice, thank you :blush:

1 Like

@kook is doing a great take on this:
Looks like he’s gonna do a play by play in writing which might be more popular than my video
https://forum.freesk8.org/t/the-last-power-supply-youll-ever-need/276

2 Likes

Guess what arrived today, Robin?

2 Likes

Damn that wasn’t all that that long at all! Nice!

2 Likes

Yeah I was super stoked… stand-by for a FLOOD of questions!!

• the input and output connectors… *holy katz… 10ga wire and all these volts and amps thru those tiny screw connectors!!! I don’t think they make 10ga crimps to fit that shit… what did you use? I’m thinking of a thick solid solder on a flattened wire crosssection and drill it… :crazy_face: :crazy_face:
  • is there an app to monitor things on fones? on 'puters?
  • there is NO instructions on connecting wifi or the like… there is a “weird” ethernet connector labed USB
  • is there any missing critical advise that you can think of before I connect it all together
  • will i die? am i already dEAd?

EDIT: found software and additional manuals on the product site…
everything seems similar but the product details vary…

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

I just use the little remote the include. Haven’t tried app or pc software. Though I understand the software has nice features

I use 10awg wiring. It’s only 20amps (and I don’t even run that all the time) so I stripped a long part , trimmed 3/4 of the cores and then wrapped it around the screw and twisted it. Basically like an eyebolt. Then made sure it stays in place as I screwed down

Uh. Just get input and output right. It’s really dead simple lol.

1 Like

Thanks…

I’m running 10ga wiring as well… I may follow your lead on connecting the main inputs into the controller.

Looking through the manuals it looks like it would be a hassle to wire up to a PC, I’d have to run a long wire from the controller to the PC, so I’ll just use the remote as well…

it has some really nice features and I’m looking a powering my first battery charge… I’m gunna take it all outside and connect it to an OLD battery…

The only thing that really creeped me out were the tiny input and output connector terminals

I’ll get back to finish this thingie up soon~ish

thanks for all your help and advice

2 Likes

No problem

I don’t remember the Terminals being all that small. And remember it’s only for such a small part of the line that it doesn’t generate all that much heat

1 Like

any do’s or don’ts?

can I power up the controller (with like a 10s battery?) with no output? just to see if it’s all kosher?

any order on connecting power supply to battery I should know? usually i connect an unpowered charger to the board and then power the charger

if I do the same is it problematic?

any gotchas before i fire it up?

1 Like

As long as you’re not spinning up motors you’re fine.
Could even current limit it with the supply so nothing burns if something is wrong.

1 Like

YEs this is good. since you can use the logi to power the PSU,s thats a good way to go. or just set the PSUs to always-on via the logic, and switch the mains, which is what I do.

always a good move. usually, when going to charge something, I set to a voltage close to the battery (50V) and have the current limited to like 1A, then connect the output/

yes totally fine. if there is no output there is no current, but the voltage will go up. To be safe you can use a dmm and measure the output of the converter and see if its over-spec or something. like set to 50.4v and measure. anything within a few thents of a volt is fine. the actual battery will only be charged to the cutoff of the BMS.

Remember that if you power on with a battery as a source , you dont have the current protection of the PSUs. unless you’re in a rush, i would build the PSU stack first. and test with that

4 Likes

NOTED

What is this exactly?

1 Like

A diy charger (bench top power supply really) with variable voltage and amperage. Can charge any battery up to 22s at 20a or 14s at 50a , depending on components.

Generally can be built for under $200 from the converter, several used server supplies and and old pc case.

2 Likes

you should probably add the word “power” to the title

just a thought (I had a bitch of a time trying to find this thread and I even knew it was here)

1 Like

timestamped link to interesting part

6 Likes

That’s super cool. Just needs a display and you’re set.

Super small and powerful for.that price!

1 Like