The hacksmith made " "the world most powerful electric skateboard" "

Yeah, I mean it was an intern project but at the same time there have been much more impressive intern projects

1 Like

oofda, lotta cringe in that video…

1 Like

The first riding test claims 20% power (out of 2x 22kW) → 8,8kW
The original board had a theoretical output of (4x 2.5kW) → 10kW

Do they really think noone can do basic math anymore? :thinking:

I know they can turn it up but those lipos will be empty in no time, a proper battery would have been nice.

9 Likes

8 Likes

Huge but

What is there limiting factor
Battery’s
Cable
Connectors
Construction
Traction

A device rating is the weakest link not the strongest

my bearings are rated fit 500mph so I’ve got a faster board than you. My AS is rated for 2000A so I’m way more powerful. My mum couldn’t see me go past the house so I broke the speed of light

9 Likes

Ouch!! I feel that one! I ride scooters, both the electric ‘kick’ style and stuff like Vespas and it almost hurts to hear someone call them mopeds – If it doesn’t pedals that you can, well, pedal to provide extra power, it’s not a dang moped!

1 Like

If he made something better than what E-tox did or remotely close, that would of been impressive for sure.
I find it sad that we lost that sort of DIY on the channel there used to do at least 70% of the build

3 Likes

Etoxx is a passionate guy who has been doing electric skateboard for a while, it’s unrealistic to expect them to do a job comparable to Etoxx’ work

2 Likes

true, but the intern should be able to design a 3d model and they have pretty much everything they need to make at least the frame and drive train. to be fair maybe he had a budget and time limitation

My perspective is usually very limited, but as someone who makes videos on YouTube and is trying to grow an audience, I find it important to keep in mind certain things if I’m feeling critical of a video.

Making a video is very different from just making a physical project outcome. It’s true for thinking of a title, writing a script, and making a video production that’s a viable watch for more than a week.

Being critical of how a video is titled is unrealistic usually. Its function is to be searchable and to get someone to watch it. Being specific in many cases reduces the traffic. Being overtly specific with project based content is also unrealistic.

That video was clearly meant to entertain. If it were meant to be a technical guide on upgrading an electric skateboard, it’d have 1% of the audience and would be long and relatively boring. The closer to “educational” video content is, the more boring it is to most people.

And the closer to “entertaining” video content is, the more it tends to be criticized by the 1% of technically knowledgeable viewers. Both because they know the information, and tend to care more about minutiae than a general viewer.

Bickering over labels, language, hype, etc. isn’t fruitful unless the goal of the discussion is somewhere in the realm of being pedantic or a collective measuring contest.

E-Toxxx makes brilliant things. Videos, isn’t really one of them.

The Hacksmith crew makes amazing videos, and look like they have a great time doing it. That itself is a very difficult thing to do and takes as much, if not more work than the project itself.

Anyone can levy whatever criticism they want on any content, of course. But a lot of it ends up coming off as critical for its own sake.

As for the comments on it not being a skateboard because it has motors…that’s silly.

No one watching that video sees “skateboard” and is confused by what’s going on. The amount of conceit and arrogance in those YouTube comments is kind of embarrassing. But most YouTube comments are…

15 Likes

Yes, this. It’s very hard - I thought the video was entertaining and I can still appreciate it for what they were able to do with an intern project in a limited amount of time.

:slight_smile: I personally really liked their Hackalorian series but I’m really looking forwards to the next PowerLoader video

3 Likes

I just realised they are only supporting the hubs from one side

13 Likes

Oh… What

Hm… Evidently they did not design it to be ridden for very long lol

3 Likes

I love to imagine what the most powerful board would look like. Quad 100x100 motors, geared for 25 mph max for insane torque and field weakening for speed, quad 100Ds in super single with massive heatsinks for whatever…

Did a torque comparison between that and my other builds to see what that might look like:

16x more torque than my evo build and ~10x the torque of my dual 6380 MTB with 8 inch tires?

2 Likes

:exploding_head: wow 800€ for 1 motor seems crazy, they are not for me, I’m too cheap for that.

1 Like

Exactly. Entertainment.

You make videos too, you know how it goes.

2 Likes

Yeah exactly, they probably disassembled it later.

Not everything you build needs to be for continual use, like Linus Tech Tips, most of the computers that they build just get taken apart right after.

We are the 1%, this is why we notice lol

On my channel right now I ride all of my stuff but I could see a point where I do a build and disassemble it later

2 Likes

Sooo… who’s going to take a bajaboard, slap 4 80100 motors, 4 trampa 100/200 vescs and lipos to cap the amp rating (20S at 800A so 1000A rated for headroom?)??
Probably only need a dremel to cut the shafts and a lunchbox on top to hold more batteries.

If the pulleys don’t explode, it will do laps around this “44kw” board

1 Like

I hope you converted the torque in Nm to acceleration in N for the different wheel sizes. It’s my only gripe with that calculator :laughing:

2 Likes

Same here!! Those charts don’t have any unit of measurement, just a comparison of felt torque adjusted for wheel size with one of my boards as the baseline. I wish that calculator did that calculation… Acceleration in newtons, or put in your weight and calculate acceleration in m/s²

1 Like