The life after cancer thread

All those remotes have their own boards? I’d like to see your rack or whatever storage you use for your boards.

That’s a lot of boards judging by the number of remotes

4 Likes

Welp, the Moon drives are fully assembled and she’s back on all fours. I’m really impressed with the build quality of the Moon hardware. The design is very elegant and the fit/finish is top notch.

Here are a few notes in case anyone else is considering getting these drives for their MBS builds:

• The only items that you need to purchase is loctite 648 and grease. @moon includes everything else needed to complete the install.
  • It takes a bit of finesse to get the truck clamp centered on the brake hole. Once aligned and fully torqued, the clamp is extremely secure.
  • The 6374 motor size is perfect for the MBS trucks. This motor size allows for some uptilt without any interference with the MBS baseplate. In this configuration, the motors are completely shielded by the hanger. If you are running 6380 or bigger, the mounts will need to be tilted downward to be more parallel with the ground.
  • I’m a big fan of the fixed motor position with the 9t motor pinion. Not having to screw around with setting the backlash made the assembly very simple. Flipping the hanger is needed to prevent the clamp bolt from interfering with the fixed motor position holes.

Just a few living room glamour shots:

22 Likes

looks incredible dude.

like, super duper clean, boutique production level, if not better!!!

when is the mayden voyage?

3 Likes

Thanks man. That’s quite the compliment, especially from a builder like yourself.

Unfortunately it might be awhile before I’m feeling good enough for the maiden voyage. The neuropathy in my hands from chemotherapy has gotten really bad. Exposure to cool air causes pretty bad pain in my hands. I’ll need to either experiment with cutting the finger off some snowboarding gloves, or wait until the ambient temps get back into the 60-70’ range.

Sooooo… I have a feeling that I’ll be hacking up some snowboarding gloves sometime in the next few weeks :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Looks great! Extra points for aligning the Torqueboards logos perfectly in every photo. That’s attention to detail!

5 Likes

So these were a game changer for me.

1 Like

Haha thanks man. Not going to lie, I retook a few pics because the logos weren’t lined up enough for me :slight_smile: :joy:

Interesting. May have to pick up a pair. Is it still feasible to control the remote with the gloved finger? I’ve always had to cut the finger off gloves to get a good feel.

2 Likes

I just found a new favorite solution for this exact problem… Hunting gloves!

They are super warm but the trigger finger is a thinner material so no cutting required (like thin athletic gloves). Saw them at a field and stream and thought how cool they would be if they weren’t traffic cone orange or camo.

I’m sure there are black ones online. I’ll definitely be getting a pair before next winter.

10 Likes

Oh I love the orange.

3 Likes

It’s sunny and nearly 60 degrees outside today. This is a pretty rare thing in the PNW this time of year. Couldn’t pass up on the opportunity, so I slipped out during my lunch break to give the new setup a try. The big changes I made since my first ride is softer shock blocks and Moon gear drives.

This thing lives up to every expectation that I had. The large deck is easy to stand on. The MBS trucks are extremely stable and carve effortlessly. Pneumatics smooth everything out, have great grip and allow me to not have to focus on imperfections in the road. The free-roll on the gear drives are incredible and not worrying about belt skip during heavy braking gives me more confidence.

Here is a video I took during the ride to try and capture the sound that these straight cut gears make. This thing is soooooo loud.

And some obligatory pics:

This build took nearly 8 months to complete. There was a lot of research, first time challenges and setbacks along the way. Thank you to everyone that supported me and encouraged me at every step cough @rafaelinmissouri cough

I’m sooooo happy with this build.

Joshua

26 Likes

its absoloutely insane
many people (namely me) have been here for way longer and built way more builds and yet very few come out as perfect as this with the same insane attention to detail. looks proper amazing

5 Likes

Dude.
Again.
I’m so stoked the day finally came.

Forgot to ask. Did you stick to orange yellow or are you on yellow yellow.

I swear to you. Everytime I go out on the Matrix II trucks I love them even more…

And. I gotta say.
I love, love, love the sound of the gears…
(In kicks the little devil on my shoulder saying buy more parts…)

4 Likes

haha that is hilarious. You definitely need to try out GDs. I am slightly curious to know if it’s normal for them to be this loud. @moon any thoughts?

I’m running yellow in the front and orange in the back. I loosened up the tension quite a bit. There is a small gap between the shock blocks and the hanger in the front, and in the rear the shock blocks are just barely touching the hanger.

4 Likes

Mine are a bit quieter than that. Try running them for a bit and see if they quiet down as things settle in to place and then add some more grease.

Such an awesome board dude. The fully blacked out look is so clean :sweat_drops:

5 Likes

Usually takes about 65mi/100km to break in a set of spur gears (straight cut), so they’ll definetly get quieter as you ride it a bit and there will be a little less drag as the gears start to wear in a path a little more

4 Likes

Do you have any clearance issue at full lean with the moon drives?

No clearance issues at all, even at full lean. The cases don’t touch the deck and my cans don’t touch the baseplate.

2 Likes

Oh man… my heart is so full today. It was 60’ and sunny this afternoon. I had the day off work and this is my “off chemo” weekend, so we had to take advantage of the opportunity.

We road around for 3 hours this afternoon. There is a nice paved bike path that connects Corvallis to Philomath (2 small towns in Oregon). So we parked in Corvallis and road all the way to Philomath for a lunch break. It legitimately doesn’t get any better than this.

I’m so pleased with my son’s new build and the DIY Flux Motion. Both boards completely exceed our expectations. I added some more grease to the GDs and they are definitely more quiet. Not sure how many miles we road, but 3 hours of riding only use 0.3v from my 12s8p pack. And that included pushing my daughter’s scooter up several hills that she couldn’t make it up :slight_smile:

I took some video that I’ll post later. Here are a few pics from our lunch break in Philomath.

21 Likes

Duuuude. You are doing it right!!!

Awesome!

6 Likes

You got more pics of the boys set up anywhere?

1 Like