The life after cancer thread

Dude.
Again.
I’m so stoked the day finally came.

Forgot to ask. Did you stick to orange yellow or are you on yellow yellow.

I swear to you. Everytime I go out on the Matrix II trucks I love them even more…

And. I gotta say.
I love, love, love the sound of the gears…
(In kicks the little devil on my shoulder saying buy more parts…)

4 Likes

haha that is hilarious. You definitely need to try out GDs. I am slightly curious to know if it’s normal for them to be this loud. @moon any thoughts?

I’m running yellow in the front and orange in the back. I loosened up the tension quite a bit. There is a small gap between the shock blocks and the hanger in the front, and in the rear the shock blocks are just barely touching the hanger.

4 Likes

Mine are a bit quieter than that. Try running them for a bit and see if they quiet down as things settle in to place and then add some more grease.

Such an awesome board dude. The fully blacked out look is so clean :sweat_drops:

5 Likes

Usually takes about 65mi/100km to break in a set of spur gears (straight cut), so they’ll definetly get quieter as you ride it a bit and there will be a little less drag as the gears start to wear in a path a little more

4 Likes

Do you have any clearance issue at full lean with the moon drives?

No clearance issues at all, even at full lean. The cases don’t touch the deck and my cans don’t touch the baseplate.

2 Likes

Oh man… my heart is so full today. It was 60’ and sunny this afternoon. I had the day off work and this is my “off chemo” weekend, so we had to take advantage of the opportunity.

We road around for 3 hours this afternoon. There is a nice paved bike path that connects Corvallis to Philomath (2 small towns in Oregon). So we parked in Corvallis and road all the way to Philomath for a lunch break. It legitimately doesn’t get any better than this.

I’m so pleased with my son’s new build and the DIY Flux Motion. Both boards completely exceed our expectations. I added some more grease to the GDs and they are definitely more quiet. Not sure how many miles we road, but 3 hours of riding only use 0.3v from my 12s8p pack. And that included pushing my daughter’s scooter up several hills that she couldn’t make it up :slight_smile:

I took some video that I’ll post later. Here are a few pics from our lunch break in Philomath.

21 Likes

Duuuude. You are doing it right!!!

Awesome!

6 Likes

You got more pics of the boys set up anywhere?

1 Like

So much awesomeness. I don’t even know where to start. Happy meter off the charts!

3 Likes

BTW, that is an awesome path… an old covered bridge or two along the way, right?

I lived in Philomath for 3 years while attending college in Corvallis. Unfortunately at the time I hadn’t yet discovered the wonderful ways of esk8… so I drove my stupid car most of the way to campus and analog pushed to class to avoid the cost of a parking pass. An esk8 would have seriously enhanced my life during that time, haha.

2 Likes

Yeah man, definitely doing life right. I’d be happy to take as many pics as you want. Just let me know what you want to see. There is a video of our ride below, which shows a few more angles.

Thanks man. Definitely an awesome path. I didn’t encounter any covered bridges though. Can’t believe you lived in Philomath and attended OSU. Such a small world! Yeah, esk8 would have been a baller way to commute to class.

Here is a short video I made of our ride:

7 Likes

I’m sorry that it has been so long since my last post! Things have been pretty hectic the last few weeks, so here is an update on my health.

1. The most recent CT result showed a 20% reduction in tumor size after another cycle of four chemotherapy treatments. The total reduction in size since my initial diagnosis is almost 70%. I was disappointed by this news, since this demonstrates diminishing results of chemotherapy. Several doctors have reassured me that this is still good news, since there is still a positive response to treatment.

2. Liver surgery is scheduled for Monday 4/12 (12 hours from now) at the U of Washington Medical Center in Montlake. They will be removing 30% of my liver to ensure clean margins. Once again, I was pretty disappointed to hear that so much of my liver would need to be removed. However the doctors indicated that this was really positive, since they typically remove about 60-70% of the liver when doing this same procedure on other patients.

3. After surgery, I will be given about 2 weeks to recover. Then I will start 5.5 weeks of daily radiation combined with daily oral chemotherapy. This will be focused on the primary colon tumor and surrounding lymph nodes.

4. After radiation, we will do another CT scan to review the tumor size and location. It is highly likely that I will need colon surgery to remove whatever cancerous tissue is remaining at that time.

5. After colon surgery, I will then have to go back on chemotherapy to ensure that we have nuked any remaining cancer cells that could still be floating around in my system.

6. This treatment plan would target complete recovery around August of this year.

Thank you again for the continual prayer and support. There is still a long journey ahead, but I am very excited for change in scenery.

Im still managing to get out and ride when I’m feeling well. Here are a few pics from our last family ride a few weekends ago:

29 Likes

Have a fast recovery :slight_smile: keep enjoying life, may you open many more build threads arround here in the futur !

8 Likes

I love to hear it man! So happy to hear about your health improvements. Let me know if you still want that motor plate for your daughter’s scooter, I can make a 63xx version if you want also. What I noticed in that scooter is that it can be overvolted pretty easily with some 10s2p meepo (or hoverboard batteries) batteries in parallel without damage. It got my adult-sized ass up some decent hills.

9 Likes

Best of luck, and again, Godspeed. :pray:

6 Likes

Best of luck - wishing you a quick recovery from surgery. You are insanely strong dude.

5 Likes

Dude, I need more info. Are you saying that you were able to use a 10s battery with the stock motor?

2 Likes

Yes. Literally just plugged it in

4 Likes

No friggen way. I’m assuming you upgraded the speed controller as well?