The life after cancer thread

I was putting that shit to the test today. The 5:1 gearing and 9" tires have been fun.

My 72:15 belt setup also did great (neighbor was behind me) but skips on hard braking. If I tighten it more, the free roll ability goes way down.

My gear drive board will roll away from me on a slight downhill. Belty stays put.

5 Likes

Yep.
It was easy. And good enough for me.

6 Likes

Or get them anodized

5 Likes

Oh Wow. Those look sick.

The belt skip when braking on my 16/66 setup on those same ATC mounts was unbearable. I believe it is not just the gear ratio difference, but also the short center distance on the ATC mounts that contribute to the belt skip. Idlers would help but those mounts don’t use them. If they had a longer CD then another motor pulley tooth could be engaged to help, but I assume skipping would still happen with hard braking.

At 82.55mm CD from truck to motor pulley, I have not found other mounts that have this short of CD. A longer CD also offers more distance from the tire rubbing on the motor pulley.

ATC MBS martix motor mounts

ElectricBoardSolution Matrix II mounts have a 90mm CD
BN Matrix II mounts have a 100mm CD

So, I’m in the same boat, going to wait for the BN Matrix II gear drives, and when there are delays beyond my patience, then I’ll pick up a set of his motor mounts for my belt drive to see how much of a difference a longer CD makes.

1 Like

This is probably the most informative post I’ve read so far regarding these motor mounts. I’m relieved to hear that my belt skipping problem is not related to my ability to set the correct belt tension, especially since I’ve never had belt skipping issues with any other boards that I’ve set up. Sounds like I shouldn’t waste another second trying to get these garbage motor mounts to work. What a huge disappointment.

I’ll be stripping my board back down and will remove these mounts and figure something else out.

Yeah, I totally agree. Although I’m probably just gong to set this build completely to the side until some gear drives are available. I’d hate to set this board up with new motor mounts, just to have BN release a new gear drive a month later. His lead times have been very reliable so far, so I’ll just hold out.

Thanks for chiming in on my problem.

2 Likes

Wohowoe not so fast!
Get som idlers and some longer belts and or some larger motor pulleys. In the meantime tighten the f out of the belts if you have to. You don’t just ditch a board like that.
Then you buy the bloody gear drives if your heart so desires.

Get some idlers from @Boardnamics and drill and tap the motor mount if the motor is in the way for a nut to be secured on the backside. You want more speed anyways so get larger motorpulleys. Wack up the vesc settings if the torque is not enough.

I have the EBS Matrix 2 mounts with the 90mm CD. My board is nearly complete and I’ll let ya know if I have a different experience than you have with the ATC mounts.

The mounts don’t have space for idlers, the short CD has the motors mounted where you would normally used idlers. In the 65/16 setup, only 6T are engaged with the belt.

I agree to not put the build aside though. I mean it rideable, just annoying as hell with belt skipping during braking. Regardless, ride with this setup until you get the gear drives. I agree to also try larger motor pulleys.

You are probably right I dont own the things so I have no idea. But what you can do if you are limited to a short mount is to drill and tap a hole and then thread a stationary idler into the place. 6mm thick mounts should be sufficient to thread a bolt strait into aluminium.

1 Like

Fair enough, thanks for tip.

1 Like

i forgot to get my wheel pulleys anodized bruh, so peeved. they were still on the build so it didnt click for me at first

Lol did you get 72 ones too? I thought I only did. Or you running a different size?

1 Like

No no I already had them. I run a strict “One Build at a time” policy. and the pulleys were on the current build :man_shrugging:

doot doot

4 Likes

@monsterbuilder hope you are beating the shit out of that cancer.

I am planning building that is similar to yours in some ways, you didn’t end up using the heatsinks from surfnacho right? This and the fb6 are quite bulky and I am trying to figure out how to organize the internals to fit a 12s8p and my dual tb6

4 Likes

Hey man… good timing on that question! I just had my first scan since starting chemo and got some good news on Friday. The tumor in my colon and the tumor on my liver have shrunk by 60% over the last 2 months. The cancer in my lymph nodes appears to be completely gone. It was great to get some confirmation that the chemotherapy is working, especially considering all the abuse that I’m putting my body through. In case I hadn’t mentioned it, I’m doing 3 different chemotherapies at once. It’s bruuuuutal.

My oncologist wants me to do 4 more rounds of chemo, and then I should be fully prep’d for liver surgery. Once I have recovered from that surgery, I’ll probably go on a lighter version of chemo until the tumor on my colon is completely gone.

Nah, didn’t end up using the heatsinks that I bought from surfnacho. I do have some small aluminum heatsinks (aka thermal mass) attached to the dual TB6, but I didn’t cut the enclosure to get external cooling. Sooooo, we will have to see how that goes.

I’ll PM you some pics of how I organized my internals. I had to rotate the dual TB6s to get them to fit. It’s a bit awkward, but there is plenty of space.

In more exciting news… I ended up jumping on the last batch of gear drives from @moon. Super excited to wrap up this build and never want to experience belt skip ever again! Will post some pictures of the gear drive install once they show up.

22 Likes

Yeah please pictures would be great when you have the time.

Glad that your cancer treatment is showing some progress. I read chemo is hardcore, I wish you good luck and stay strong brother.

7 Likes

Bro congrats! That’s a huge win. I’ve seen firsthand what chemo can do to a person, keep your head up, you’ll beat this!

11 Likes