The life after cancer thread

Thanks man. I appreciate the encouragement. Its definitely the hardest thing I’ve ever done.

Btw super jelly of that fact that you snatched up that 8t pinion :slight_smile: You’ll have to post some updates of your Moon drive assembly and ride experience once your parts show up!

4 Likes

Haha @moon has to make more! He does have a 8/47 coming later, 5.9:1. Make sure to get that, because I def will! Lol

2 Likes

A little something something showed up in the mail today.

Getting down with my bad self like @Lee_Wright

21 Likes

That’s hot. You have innies. Don’t see that too often. :wink:

6 Likes

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Standard procedures bro.

11 Likes

Some folks do it that way

I personally use a different color lace lock on each remote’s lanyard.

But the high-quality lace locks that are big enough, are getting hard to find.

7 Likes

Awesome Build! Well done should be proud of that black beauty!

1 Like

Awww…it’s the little lingyi nano that could.

5 Likes

:rofl:

sure is

2 Likes

All those remotes have their own boards? I’d like to see your rack or whatever storage you use for your boards.

That’s a lot of boards judging by the number of remotes

4 Likes

Welp, the Moon drives are fully assembled and she’s back on all fours. I’m really impressed with the build quality of the Moon hardware. The design is very elegant and the fit/finish is top notch.

Here are a few notes in case anyone else is considering getting these drives for their MBS builds:

• The only items that you need to purchase is loctite 648 and grease. @moon includes everything else needed to complete the install.
  • It takes a bit of finesse to get the truck clamp centered on the brake hole. Once aligned and fully torqued, the clamp is extremely secure.
  • The 6374 motor size is perfect for the MBS trucks. This motor size allows for some uptilt without any interference with the MBS baseplate. In this configuration, the motors are completely shielded by the hanger. If you are running 6380 or bigger, the mounts will need to be tilted downward to be more parallel with the ground.
  • I’m a big fan of the fixed motor position with the 9t motor pinion. Not having to screw around with setting the backlash made the assembly very simple. Flipping the hanger is needed to prevent the clamp bolt from interfering with the fixed motor position holes.

Just a few living room glamour shots:

22 Likes

looks incredible dude.

like, super duper clean, boutique production level, if not better!!!

when is the mayden voyage?

3 Likes

Thanks man. That’s quite the compliment, especially from a builder like yourself.

Unfortunately it might be awhile before I’m feeling good enough for the maiden voyage. The neuropathy in my hands from chemotherapy has gotten really bad. Exposure to cool air causes pretty bad pain in my hands. I’ll need to either experiment with cutting the finger off some snowboarding gloves, or wait until the ambient temps get back into the 60-70’ range.

Sooooo… I have a feeling that I’ll be hacking up some snowboarding gloves sometime in the next few weeks :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Looks great! Extra points for aligning the Torqueboards logos perfectly in every photo. That’s attention to detail!

5 Likes

So these were a game changer for me.

1 Like

Haha thanks man. Not going to lie, I retook a few pics because the logos weren’t lined up enough for me :slight_smile: :joy:

Interesting. May have to pick up a pair. Is it still feasible to control the remote with the gloved finger? I’ve always had to cut the finger off gloves to get a good feel.

2 Likes

I just found a new favorite solution for this exact problem… Hunting gloves!

They are super warm but the trigger finger is a thinner material so no cutting required (like thin athletic gloves). Saw them at a field and stream and thought how cool they would be if they weren’t traffic cone orange or camo.

I’m sure there are black ones online. I’ll definitely be getting a pair before next winter.

10 Likes

Oh I love the orange.

3 Likes

It’s sunny and nearly 60 degrees outside today. This is a pretty rare thing in the PNW this time of year. Couldn’t pass up on the opportunity, so I slipped out during my lunch break to give the new setup a try. The big changes I made since my first ride is softer shock blocks and Moon gear drives.

This thing lives up to every expectation that I had. The large deck is easy to stand on. The MBS trucks are extremely stable and carve effortlessly. Pneumatics smooth everything out, have great grip and allow me to not have to focus on imperfections in the road. The free-roll on the gear drives are incredible and not worrying about belt skip during heavy braking gives me more confidence.

Here is a video I took during the ride to try and capture the sound that these straight cut gears make. This thing is soooooo loud.

And some obligatory pics:

This build took nearly 8 months to complete. There was a lot of research, first time challenges and setbacks along the way. Thank you to everyone that supported me and encouraged me at every step cough @rafaelinmissouri cough

I’m sooooo happy with this build.

Joshua

26 Likes

its absoloutely insane
many people (namely me) have been here for way longer and built way more builds and yet very few come out as perfect as this with the same insane attention to detail. looks proper amazing

5 Likes