The first esk8 remote designed to be held - BKB Voyager šŸšØ

Additional functionality could really push remote tech forwards. Turn signal control and clickable joystick would be awesome.

The product listing doesnā€™t mention anything about an additional axis lock, so i took the mentions in beta review videos as a potential improvement, not a confirmed feature. You may want to add that and (ideally) show a photo.

Edit: maybe i missed it, or maybe it was added after the initial post - i see ā€œthrottle lockā€ is now listed on the product page.

These UI / control input specifics really set this remote apart from Maytech, Flipsky, etc similar remotes. I think itā€™s a missed opportunity by not explaining this in detail.

3 Likes

When they first started looking at ergonomics they studied the cockpit of a military plane. The cockpitā€™s original design was made before the discovery of ergonomics just using the average measurements(height, reach, etc.) of a large number of pilots - in the end they found it actually fit none of them. :rofl:

Sorry to digress, I just heard about that on a podcast and found it intersting.

3 Likes

Right? The number one talking point with the Puck (well maybe joint with the shape) is the signal retention and their signal hopping tech. Lets face it, thatā€™s the reason most of us use Pucks. Weā€™ve had remotes drop out and act weird, itā€™s scary as shit and the Puck mostly avoids that.

I came to this thread expecting to find loads of people asking about this for the Voyager, but suddenly people only care about ergonomics, which IS important, but I also want to know if the thing is going to get me deaded in traffic :sweat_smile:

@BuildKitBoards Any official word from you guys on how this remote handles connectivity that marks it out from the basic ones like Flipsky and Maytech offer? Is it at least going to be comparable or close to the Puck on connection reliability? Because I fear without that, Iā€™m not going to be able to justify the price.

2 Likes

In my experience, it is the same as the Maytech V2, and not nearly as good as the puck

I have not told Jared this though and it is possible my unit is not perfect but I am afraid that it may be the case that it just isnā€™t super strong signal-wise. My testing has been limited but I was pretty easily able to get it to disconnect by forcefully riding by a known disconnect area for my Maytech V2, where the puck did not disconnect.

The internals are the same as the Uni1 remote as far as I know, I donā€™t think many people bought that though so we havenā€™t head any complaints about dropouts with that one

Thanks for that man. I just got done watching your review actually (awesome job!). I would definitely feed something like that back in a beta test though. Youā€™re not the only tester that seems to have brushed over this pretty glaringly important area. At least heā€™ll read it now I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

If the connectivity is that bad, I might as well go back to my old Maytech mini remote as I find that super ergonomic, so cheap that if you break it you donā€™t care and only one really strong cell tower that knocked out the connection. I just wanted something that felt a bit more premium and was as robust as the Puck in terms of connection. Seems we might still be waiting on that :thinking:

1 Like

I know it is an important thing the problem is I just really had no time to properly give it good signal testing and I didnā€™t feel like I had done enough to actually quantify it as an issue. It only had a problem in the high signal interference area

Thanks for the compliment on my video, I labeled it a first look because I didnā€™t really feel like I had used it enough to review it, and because I do not have a production unit.

Anyways, yeah I wish it was cheaper too. I would like to do some more in-depth signal testing but time just isnā€™t my friend at the moment. Have to move onto other things right now.

I did not see anyone else in the beta group complain about signal problems either so I donā€™t know. It was my experience that it dropped out where the puck did not, take whatever you want from that.

@BuildKitBoards if you want to ask me specific questions about it feel free. Love the boards and stuff but as I said in my video, the remote isnā€™t for me right now. Once I get the griptape and axis lock maybe my opinion will change

2 Likes

anybody else tried this remote lately? thoughts?

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking about picking one up, have heard good things especially regarding comfort. I currently use the puck and it has been solid. But recently for whatever reason when using the puck my fingers have been crampingā€¦

2 Likes

The Voyager is a crappy remote that feels cheap, and costs more than it should.

Also, BKB is a junk company. Iā€™d never advise anyone to give them any money for any reason. Apart from them ghosting me, leaving me a grand in the hole for broken defective Xeniths, they screwed around Apex with even more defective Xeniths.

Iā€™ve had two customers in my shop have a littany of issues with their BKB Duo and parts theyā€™ve bought from BKB, as they received no support from BKB.

Just do yourself a favor, and avoid the headache. Look elsewhere.

Edit: I look back at when I was giving @BuildKitBoards shit for this marketing line about the first remote designed to be held by a hand.

What a load of horseshit that was.

Fuck you, Jared.

22 Likes

Hey Mario,

Feedback received. BKB is not a perfect company but we try to do the right thing.

If you have been ghosted, I am not sure why. I will dm you my direct email so I can look into exactly what happened. If we are the ones who made a mistake, we will make it right.

We didnā€™t screw around Apex. Electronics manufacturing is practically impossible right now. There was an issue with the batch, we paid to have them all recalled, paid for new chips, etc. tried to do the right thing but it took forever. We have an obligation to either provide a product or provide a refund, which we are doing since he requested one.

Regarding the other customers, itā€™s hard to comment without context of who they are or what happened. One thing I have learned is that it is impossible to make everyone happy, but we try to do the right thing. BKB has been around for 5 years and this is the community that built it. Mistakes have been made along the way. Building, scaling, and managing a company is not easy. Sometimes shit happens and itā€™s the customer fault, and sometimes shit happens and itā€™s our fault. Myself, and the employees of BKB are not perfect. If something happened it ultimately falls upon me, so I look forward to your email so I can see exactly what happened.

6 Likes

I just wanted to clarify here we didnā€™t request a refund at all, that was your insistence and iā€™ve given you every opportunity to provide the units we are owed. It suits you more to give us a refund as we paid 2021 prices for those ESCā€™s and they are in short supply so I can understand why you have pressed to refund us rather than supply what we are owed. It would suit us more if you made it whole by providing what we are owed.

Either way as yet you havenā€™t provided either the units or the refund though.

16 Likes

The why is likely, in my opinion, because my last email went unanswered.

Many here remember my issues with the Xeniths, and the screenshots of the emails, and it drying up into radio silence.

Being outside of the PayPal dispute window makes it much easier as well, I imagine.

ā€œIf we are the ones who made a mistakeā€. See, thatā€™s the issue. I donā€™t trust you or your company to simply replace the defective Xeniths and do whatā€™s right, because itā€™s clear from these brouhahas that our definitions of ā€œrightā€ are different.

Iā€™ll not be sending another email. I assume mine is still there somewhere in the ticket system, unanswered, with all of the details and photos of the issues I had, as well as information on the opinions of these problems from people who are smarter than I am, like @DerelictRobot , who in his small amount of free time, still had the decency to take a look at the issues and offer his thoughts.

Far as Iā€™m concerned, weā€™re done here.

4 Likes

Glad to see you recognized the tipping point youā€™ve reached with the community. Although I find it a little disengenuous that you were unaware of the ghosting going on, your promises to get things handled properly are good to see.

Until quality community folks like Mario and Apex are made whole, BKB should not be getting anyoneā€™s business.

3 Likes

What is your email? I will look it up in Shopify and the Help Desk to see whatā€™s going on and reply here (for everyone to see).

(Email used to place orders / comm with support)

I completely understand your opinion but Iā€™m not sure how it can be disingenuous? I spend about 10% of my time on customer support and order fulfillment. The rest is handled by someone on the CS or fulfillment team.

[Edit] forget the above statement. If something happened itā€™s my job to know about it.

I will reply here as soon as I get Marioā€™s info and look into it. Lee and I have sent multiple emails back and forth making sure were doing everything properly. Both of us just want to move on. Refund will be sent tomorrow as soon as we receive the final invoice.

3 Likes

Things are moving in a positive direction, so I donā€™t want to derail the coming resolution. But itā€™s your company and therefore your responsibility to make sure customer service is handled right, not some easily-blamed nameless, faceless employee.

Edit-

You added this while I was typing:

Well said.

3 Likes

Awesome. Glad youā€™re refunding Apex and Mario. This is a good example of how to fix things as a vendor!

3 Likes

Goddammit. Guess iā€™m gonna have to start stitching their faces back on.

11 Likes

Ladies and germs, the Ivan Milat of esk8.

2 Likes

Dad hasnā€™t even come to visit the shop yet :roll_eyes:

2 Likes