The Blue One | 12S LiFePO4 | 170kv TB 6380 | Caliber 2 & BN184 | 30.43" Powell-Peralta | TB110 | FOCBOX [Serious]

Tbh I’m dumb and just want to know

@b264 I think I’ve seen you say many times you only do one very thin coat on the tops of gets. Why is this? Does more hurt in some way?

1 Like

Yes I put one very thin coat on top of the directFETs.

I use MG Chemicals 419C for this — because I have a little bit left and I save it just for that. But 419C is super thin and discontinued in favor of 419D which is very thick and goopey. If I had to use 419D, I’d probably try to find a way to make it thinner just for that part. Maybe diluting it with some sort of thinner, I would look up which thinner they use in it.

But the way I do it is to put a thin coat of 419C over the FETs, then thick coat of 419D over everything else except the USB port. This includes all JST headers and everything, since I don’t use those anyway. (warning: if you put acrylic coating on a JST header, it won’t ever work again) But if/when I do use the headers, just plug in your thing first then seal all around and on top of the plug.

1 Like

I still use the urethane spray one, hasn’t failed me yet

1 Like

Do you cover the directFETs with it?

no I don’t coat the FETs, I do use an adhesive thermal tape to insulate the FETs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSL64XG/

3 Likes

I wouldn’t trust that to not leak :smirk:

3 Likes

lol it’s not about making it submersible, it won’t let droplets in though

1 Like

Any chink in the armour will always be found, in my experience. If I even think there might be a chink, I will do something different. Even if there isn’t.

3 Likes

Why only a thin layer on the fets tho

Because they need to dissipate heat outward

3 Likes

I feel the design of The Blue One is MOST optimized for,

:white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark: nimbleness
:white_check_mark::white_check_mark: reliability
:white_check_mark::white_check_mark: weight
:white_check_mark: size
:white_check_mark: longevity
:heavy_multiplication_x: serviceability
:heavy_multiplication_x: speed
:heavy_multiplication_x: cost
:x: appearance
:x: range
:x::x: power
:x::x: stealth
:x::x::x: hipness/svelte/trendiness

higher items override lower items in the design

3 Likes
2 Likes

these bearings :scream:

Time for some service

4 Likes

nah dude just spin them out they’ll roll fine eventually… Might explode soon after though.

2 Likes

Rolling slow with that bearing/s sounds like your on thin crackling ice :laughing:

I’ve been kinda interested in getting thicker grease in bearings to see if it keeps out debris better and increases their lifespan.

Since lower rolling resistance isn’t all too noticeable with an electric board, it might be worth the trade off?

Heard about it from some guy recommending esk8 bearings on his website,
any comments?

1 Like

The massive stator bearings are definitely the best

damn maybe i should service my knees too

1 Like

I prefer cheaper bearings and just replacing them when they die, which is typically in February or March because of all the salt on the roads. In a place without rain or snow, I feel like they’d last a decade :joy:

3 Likes

This skate is almost three years old now and has a LOT of kilometers on it.

12 Likes

She’s showing her age haha

5 Likes