The Blue One | 12S LiFePO4 | 170kv TB 6380 | Caliber 2 & BN184 | 30.43" Powell-Peralta | TB110 | FOCBOX [Serious]

Yep, it appears the can may have rubbed on the wire under heavy lean. I’m not sure though 100%. Took out one of my FOCBOXes…

I will be paying closer attention to this spot in the future.

2 Likes

Those cans are just like a knife blade for phase wires.

5 Likes

Aww, thats sad!

It seems like a somewhat typical motor failure mode, sadly. Which steps will you take to prevent this from Re-happening?

1 Like

I will pay attention that vibrations aren’t causing to wire to be able to bump upwards into the motor can. Word of caution to all. The wire was not against the can. But I guess when I hit a bump it would very briefly nick it? Not sure… anyway… we can all see the end result.

One bump hurts nothing.

One million bumps finds a way to break everything

4 Likes

lol I’m sending you this shrinkable thicc braid and adhesive lined polyolefin shrink

7 Likes

that braid looks awesome… have you got a source?

5 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U7UTMES

6 Likes

gracias

3 Likes

Sweet; definitely gonna give that a try :ok_hand:

Thank you.

4 Likes

If you cut through that, it’s onto Kevlar braid :yum:

4 Likes

Lovely! Which size do you recommend for phase wore bundles?

1 Like

The one I linked :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, Thanks! I assumed 0.4 was just the Amazon standard…

2 Likes

Looks like the only water damage is on the USB port which is the only place I did not treat.

One of the shunts got roasted but none of the FETs are shorted. ESC flashes red light but still connects via USB.

4 Likes

how did the shunt get roasted though…

3 Likes

Probably this

Not sure how no FETs are shorted though. I’ve checked them all…

4 Likes

Upon closer inspection, C43 has also blown up

5 Likes

C44 and C49 appear visually intact and fine though

Screenshot from 2020-03-10 18-39-28

1 Like

Do you leave the motor wires loose after exiting the motor? I had similar problems, a heady duty ziptie or a 3d printed part ta hold it to the mount to it can’t move on the motor exit solved

3 Likes

I have to say that this is an auxiliary benefit of conformal coating that I hadn’t considered: overheating components will burn through the coating giving a visual indicator to a suspect part

6 Likes