The battery builders club

it is really easy to squish would that be a problem?

All that it does is provide a space between the cells so that they can actually flex easily. I canā€™t see an issue with it being really squishy unless you somehow manage to fully compress it when wrapping your pack.

1 Like

It should also be mentioned that if youā€™re gonna fully-shrinkwrap a flexi pack, you should definitely use polyolefin shrink tube, not PVC.

all I have is pvc

It was today that I learned that home depot just blocks EU customers.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a bunch of salvaged cells to use, working with only a 4-bay smart charger and a multimeter how can I test the cells to make sure theyā€™re suitable to use? I want to make sure they donā€™t drop in voltage super fast, sag too much or have severely reduced capacity.

Youā€™re really only gonna be able to test capacity with those.

Youā€™ll need an electronic load as well if you want to also check cell performance.

Proper cell testing like that is quite tedious and not worth the trouble in my opinion. But everybody values their time differently.

3 Likes

not worth the trouble to test, so just use the cells anyway? or not worth the trouble of using salvaged cells in the first place?

Both :rofl:

The process of salvaging the cells for reuse is time consuming enough as it is.

Iā€™ve used salvaged cells in several projects, with the mindset from the start that this is highly likely going to be a waste of time and materials and preparedness to lose said project as a result.

1 Like

thereā€™s a cost saving here I just canā€™t ignore though. Iā€™m willing to put in some time if I can save a few hundred money units. at least if I can capacity test I can ensure the cells wonā€™t die after 20 mins.

Fair enough. As I said, people value their time differently.

Capacity checking the cells is not likely to be any indication of how said cells will perform though, so your efforts there could well and truly be in vain.

1 Like

It can help spread out the load though, typically lower capacity cells are older.

1 Like

Capacity testing is only gonna provide one data set tho.

IMO its not enough data to determine whether or not the cell is worth using

1 Like

For an electronic load, does it have to be the fancy lab equipment type or can I just use a big resistor and a multimeter and a lil math?

What else would you suggest then

Either you capacity match and spread the cells using repackr, or you just use them anyways.

1 Like

And prepare for catastrophic loss :rofl:

1 Like

No?

Iā€™ve been running reclaimed cells for over 1k miles and just now one parallel group is starting to slip

I know where they came from and their age though

1 Like

Personally, Iā€™d want to check (with a decent measurement tool), their internal resistance.

Using an electronic load would be good to monitor how they behave under different loads, akin to their expected use.

These two points of information would be enough for me to use salvaged cells in my own project. However, itā€™s long since been that Iā€™ve had to use salvaged cells.

1 Like

This is my situation. I know how these calls performed last time they were used. A couple cells in the pack became corroded from moisture and Iā€™ve separated out all of the cells with any rust or corrosion and any that tested under 3V. The rest of the cells look fine visually and test a stable voltage with a DMM but Iā€™m worried that because of the other bad cells in the pack they came out of there might be some sleeper duds.

Really, by ā€œsalvagedā€ I mean Iā€™m just changing the shape of the pack theyā€™re built into. The cells I have are all the same cell and most are the same age.

1 Like

Use bigger P groups to spread out risks of odd man out cells taking each group down.

2 Likes