The battery builders club

From someone like you that means a lot

I did
I heard it’s a 3mm radius so I kept that far off it
I think the angles made it look closer then it actually was
Thanks for the feedback though

3 Likes

Ordered the wrong 10 awg so guess it’s time to pause.

2 Likes

Any tips to make my battery flexiable?

I’d start by searching “flexible” in this thread, and saving a bunch of pics to a folder to refer to.

Also, ask a bunch of questions here while you work!

2 Likes

thanks

Maybe I just suck at searching, but I could not find a whole lot.

start here. But you should read through this thread also

4 Likes

I should note that my video here ends by heat shrinking the whole pack, thus making it rigid, which was good for the non-flex application.

If you want it to be flexible like in the thumbnail, you would just leave the heatshrink off. I don’t remember if I mentioned that or not.

Thanks for sharing my video here though. I recently made another one, but not a flexible pack.

2 Likes

bro that was your video,it is awesome, I watched this like in the way beginning of my battery building journey

2 Likes

Haha yeah it was, I tried to make it as detailed as possible. There will be more in the future too. I’m glad you got some good info out of it

2 Likes

I am basically making that exact battery. I think I am going to use 3 14awg wires instead though. What lengthen did you cut the series wires?

14awg even easier to solder haha

Idk I’d have to guess maybe 2 inches max

2 Likes

One could also either cut slits in the shrink, or shrink wrap the segments.

Just food for thought.

7 Likes

Yeah that works too. I think shrink wrapping segments is super annoying, it’s hard to predict how long to make the pre-shrink pieces haha

Then you get the weird like arcing on the ends. It’s doable just need to predict beforehand

Segments! They’re not so bad, shrink the top then the bottom. But I will agree I don’t know how to measure the size exactly right for the piece every time, the closer the starting size the less it shrinks tho so it’s a little easier to guess in that case.

4 Likes

could also individually heat shrink each p-group

1 Like

I use 3mm EVA foam between the groups longways before I make the series connections for packs that I know will be subject to a lot of flex.

Even with a full heatshrink, they can still flex like this.

7 Likes

would something like this https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-3-8-in-x-17-ft-Foam-Weatherstrip-Tape-02253/100353460 work?
I am using it for the seal on my enclosure and will have a some left over.

Sure. Its pretty thick tho

1 Like