The battery builders club

hol’ up… wasn’t this the battery where the braid started fraying?

2 Likes

Good memory!

Just another of the long list of reasons this is a bad idea for a battery build.

0a7c015891949c7f073775f0cf05077efb5f4d1f_2_690x388

2 Likes

AH yes, that’s the one. Couldn’t find the picture!

2 Likes

Yknow, I always kinda forget the fact somebody could just be trolling the absolute shit out of us and laughing at us wasting our time trying to reply. I’m not particularly saying I think that’s happening in this instance, but it is hard to believe that with all the pictures and discussions about batteries we have, that somebody who frequents the forum could really post a pic of work like that.

That said - I’m going to learn to mostly stop caring. I really only care about dangerous batteries, and uninformed people that could run into the dangerous posts & think it’s alright. @jamie @xsynatic is there any possible way we could just set something up for these sorts of things to essentially mark them as obviously dangerous? Like potentially be able to flag them & have the post edited so the first text people see is “reputable members of this community believe the information in this post is dangerous and could lead to life threatening situations. It is highly recommended that you do not follow advice from this post” or something of that nature. After that, none of us will feel the need to argue in the comments as to why it’s dangerous in an attempt to make others who may be newbies or otherwise uninformed aware.

Sorry for the lack of any elegant articulation of this idea, I’m running on over a week of like no sleep. I hope you’re able to get the jist of the point I’m trying to make.

p.s. - not trying to insinuate I’m a reputable member of the community or a battery/identification of other dangerous things aficionado. There are most definitely others who are though.

2 Likes

lmao I think we’re good. Us dogpiling anything dangerous with dozens of paragraphs explaining why its dangerous should be enough.

2 Likes

Yes, but I’m saying I don’t think those of us who know whats up should need to make dozens of replies as to why it’s bad. Just a singular official “this is likely dangerous & could put you at risk” so we can go about our day knowing the community is safe without having to write out paragraphs.

1 Like

i like trains

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware that most of us who spend our time here are somewhere on the spectrum (myself included)

2 Likes

i’m currently getting myself evaluated :grinning:

1 Like

We can make long thread that can just be linked any time this happens. Would save us all a lot of time

1 Like

I’ve known about a lot of spectrum shit for a long ass time, but a week back or so I saw somebody who’s open about being highly autistic talking about their train collection and how much it soothes them to have haha. Having seen trains as a common hobby amongst spectrum folk for a long time, I finally decided to google it to see if there’s a way to correlate it.

As I’m googling “why do autistic people like”

The third or so of the 5 autocomplete suggested search phrases in googles url bar was “why do autistic people like trains so much”

Laughed my ass off lol. I just like everything in my esk8 to be placed certain distances from each other/very nicely organized even though I’ve learned I’m pretty much never going to touch it again or make use of the excessive modularity I spent a fuckload of time on

That is exactly why there are posts with what we would consider sketchy or even dangerous build practices…those threads are huge and it takes searching to find them and time to read through them. Time is something you will almost never find people willing to give you.

2 Likes

lol

i like trains but not obsessively

but they are absolutely fascinating, especially growing up :eyes:

now i listen to music every waking moment of my day, particularly one specific song i’ve listened to about 4800 (just about 252 hours give or take, or 10% of the amount of time accrued in listening to music this year) times since it came out mid march :flushed:

2 Likes

I can fuck with this idea to be honest, sounds like a good plan. If someone landed here from google and just wanted an answer I think it’s kind of inaccurate to assume they’ll read all of the nuance people post around each submission, so I think public access information needs to have a fighting chance to stand on its own and to make clear to a first time reader the limits on its usefulness or its credibility. A baked in “hey no don’t do this” on stuff as non-obviously dangerous as battery building makes for a that’s harder for noobies to get completely the wrong idea.

(I say non-obviously dangerous because most people have an intuition for how dangerous it is to go super fast on something you can fall off of, not a lot of people have that same intuitive understanding of lithium batteriees)

1 Like

My senior design project was to make a battery :yum:

8 Likes

Why cross the series connection like that? That doesn’t do anything more than just two strips across and if the pack flexes they will rub on each other and eventually fray. Is it just for looks? :smiley:

What are all those relays for? :thinking:

To balance the pack lmao

lol I guess you could do it like that hahaha

The cells get put in parallel to ‘charge’ the C cells are stand in for galvanic cells (aluminum air battery)

1 Like