The battery builders club

Guys, take it to PM please. Better yet, stop before it starts getting even more personal.

1 Like

Crap. Got confused & thought the 60/40 was the one with the instant phase change & no awkward in between. 63/37 is indeed the way to go.

There is actually a specific model of Kesters 63/37 that is the absolute outright best for hobby rc type solder work (& essentially all we do in esk8) - lost my knowledge repository on it like 4 years back tho. Either way, practically all kester 63/37 is near perfect.

If you can only buy one thing of kester (shitā€™s a bit expensive) always buy the smaller diameter. You can always double/triple/quadruple a length of smaller diameter onto itself and twist together to essentially make larger diameter solder (for soldering into nickel or larger wire and such) but you can never turn larger diameter into smaller. Aka smaller can get everything you want done, but larger canā€™t work past a certain smallness of your parts.

If doing the folding over & twisting part, always cut it fresh w/scissors per joint so the flux core is exposed. If you just use your iron to chop it/use it, your flux core is essentially cauterized & enclosed. Not incredibly important if youā€™re using standalone flux as well, but still helpful and good practice

@tech.shit Iā€™m not trying to be a dick, Iā€™d just really like the picture to stay up so others can see/refer to it. Anyways, itā€™s w/e I guess & I wonā€™t comment about it any more.

This is the stuff - if you ever leave your lid off too long or it otherwise hardens up, all you have to do it mix a bit of isopropyl alcohol in (preferably 90%+) & mash it up with it. Iā€™ve also found that adding isopropyl to get it a bit more slurry like helps a lot with tinning larger wires. I moved my pucks of it into small mason jars - makes mixing with ISO a bit easier & less messy + Iā€™m less likely to leave the lid off.

1 Like

Went to go buy that solder, saw that I already did, Iā€™m sooooo happy I accidentally used the best solder

3 Likes

Iā€™m actually of the opposite opinion. The huge amount of flux you get in the larger 1.5mm (0.062ā€) stuff is really helpful for large gauge wire and connector soldering. Using lots of the smaller gauge solder instead never worked well for me for the big jobs.

The 0.015ā€ diameter stuff is the only thing I can use for soldering tiny components and fine pitch connector pins though.

I always keep three sizes of Kester 63/37 around: 0.015ā€, 0.031ā€, and 0.062ā€. But if youā€™re having success with doubling/tripling up the smaller stuff then thatā€™s a great way to save $$$.

2 Likes

I use this

Its really good and cheap. Does 8awg on my hakko with a fat tip no problem

1 Like

People get passionate (and sometimes a bit mean) about battery pack construction techniques because of the safety risks of a poorly made pack.

Donā€™t be too hard on yourself, we all start somewhere. There are a ton of great examples of batteries in this thread and elsewhere on the forum, and itā€™s the details that really matter. Type of welder, wire gauge/strand count, wire jacket material, nickel width & thickness, weld heat, series connection amp capacity, cell selection, fish paper location etc etc. There is a reason people pay a lot of money for someone else to make a packā€¦ itā€™s a steep learning curve that requires a lot of research and some specialized tools to make a great pack.

My first pack (2017) has a loooong list of things wrong with it and if I posted it here seriously I would be hammered with criticism (and rightly so).

But if we accept that we donā€™t know nearly as much as we think we do, and are OK being wrong we can learn from all the best techniques and come up with a safer pack.

My second pack was created after countless hours of research and modeled after many pictures I saved from this thread. It still had valid criticism and I revised what I could. Is it ā€œpay me to make your packā€ quality? No, but it will work fine for my own boardā€¦ and the next one will be better still.

Iā€™m certainly no anomaly. Skyart makes some of the best packs on the forum and he started by asking basic questions in this thread and trying out a lot of different techniques that he eventually abandoned for better techniques based on feedback.

Mistakes are how we learn, and the only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.

13 Likes

What a massive jump in quality. This is how its done.

6 Likes

Taking constructive criticism and building your skills with it is absolutely paramount in building batteries. Practice practice and then practice some more. Research is your best friend hereā€¦ like you said we all had to start with our first battery. Itā€™s not so much how we fail but how we strive to correct the failure.

4 Likes

Please donā€™t sell this to anyone

I really hope this is your zeroā€™th battery then

11 Likes

The internet is forever

I seriously think this dude needs to look thru the chronology of @Halbj613ā€™s post history. Used to act just like you (you may be slightly more cocky), finally realized the way he was acting & ended up flourishing into a really good builder, batteries included, when he started actually listening to people, taking advice, and not making weird one-upper posts.

If that picture is more than your third battery you have some serious problems man. You have the ability to become much better and you seem to indicate you want to. But that picture, saying youā€™re 3+ batteries deep, indicates that youā€™re having a difficult time with some part of the process.

Sorry for spam referencing you Shua, but itā€™s all in good faith & in praise of how good youā€™ve become.

Shua was also a minor. If youā€™re not and youā€™re acting worse than himā€¦ idk what to tell you to help you.

I might be wrong, but I feel like Iā€™ve seen you liking/otherwise positively interacting with my posts before. I donā€™t know why you would think Iā€™m acting in bad faith/not giving you good advice in these posts.

12 Likes

Bruh, that either makes u the pot or the kettle. Kill em w kindness homie. This attitude will get u precisely fuck all w this group. Donā€™t take everyrhing like itā€™s a personal attack. Thats how u learn and grow.

2 Likes

potential skills*

4 Likes

no worries

come a long way and now occaisionally still building batteries for people
will post a bunch of pics soon

in the process of a 14s4p p42a right now (really interesting shape)

havent been on the forum so much lately as been super busy with school and sadly selling my stuff to help me afford stuff for school

5 Likes

split p groups? doesnt seem too bad

1 Like

yeah split p groups and bms in between those two 2p groups

gonna be a fun balance wire session

1 Like

something like this?

1 Like

could do
will work it out and discuss with the customer depending on what he needs

for anyone building batteriesā€¦ building them in the enclosure is soooooooooo good

2 Likes

The bulge would be concerning if you wanted to recharge them, but since theyā€™re heavily discharged with very little energy it doesnā€™t have much to start a fire with. With that said, the material itself is still flammable if something else started them on fire and Iā€™d still personally go to 0 because I donā€™t want any avoidable energy in them

1 Like

Ok, can do!

2 Likes

The unfortunate reality is that most customers of eskate batteries arenā€™t as informed or as critical as they should be. Iā€™ve rarely ever seen someone ask others for a portfolio of work, or construction pictures. And when they do, often enough itā€™s abysmal work that by the grace of God hasnā€™t burnt up yet.

The general standard of custom battery building is unfortunately low, and Iā€™m not sure how much of a mix there is of misinformation and general lack of care.

I will no longer reply to or quote the individual in this discussion, but I do hope they take an actual, honest look at the higher quality work on this forum and elsewhere, and do their sincere best to emulate the standards if not the actual practices. For the sake of them, their possible customers, and those around.

2 Likes