The battery builders club

I’m not sure that this works that way, but yeah, the pack looks truly awful. All this godforsaken fucking insulation tape

1 Like

The transparent insulation acts as a lens, the same way the glass of a thermometer stem magnifies the tiny capillary of liquid. If you ever break one, you’ll see how tiny the tube actually is when viewed from the end.

Yeah I know what you meant, I’m just not sure that this is applicable here. Look at the ends of the b leads, those are definitely overkill for balancing lol

IMO the big issue, if see-thru “speaker wire” is used, is that it typically has a low insulation temperature rating. It’s typically 85°C or 105°C and softens at lower than that.

2 Likes

There is some pretty low gauge (thin) speaker wire available. :slightly_smiling_face:
Though it doesn’t look like it for this pack.

3 Likes

That’s speaker wire? I thought they were McDonald’s straws.

4 Likes

12s8p of Molicel P28A. Going into a Carver dual stack.

13 Likes

I gotta make a bunch of these packs, so I made up this little glue jig to make that bit a bit quicker

I spent all day cutting nickel. It fucking sucked.

8 Likes

What are those big green spacers for?

3 Likes

At some quantity, this seems like a job that would be worth outsourcing to a machine shop. Buy sheets in bulk, waterjet/laser into custom shape

4 Likes

They keep the two different packs the same size so they fill up the enclosure and require minimal padding.

Also allows me to use the same sized heatshrink and fishpaper end pieces for both packs.

@sleepless yeah i’ve done the math, its well and truly worthwhile, but i have to wait for them to be made and shipped. So in the mean time i have to cut them by hand :expressionless:

6 Likes
20 Likes

Always two steps ahead :muscle:

9 Likes

I know battry temp safety limits is largely ignored in eSkate but for those that do add thermisteres might be interested in this on another topic.

4 Likes

Mooch is 100% right about this.

It’s a thermal probe. You want to give it the best thermal conductivity to whatever you’re trying to measure the temperature of. Thermal paste is a great tool for this.

Mind, if you’re measuring something else with the thermistor like the BMS it’s self you want to attach it to that.

Point is just leaving a thermistor loose in your pack is about as useful as checking the temp with rectal thermometer from the outside of the esk8

3 Likes

So the ltt smart bms is pretty accurate in my experience. Have checked with 2 different thermometers and its within .5° of the bms reading.

That’s not to say @Battery_Mooch isn’t correct. Just saying MY ltt is pretty much spot on for my liking.

2 Likes

Excellent!
This was during use or at room temp?

1 Like

Both. Under non operational use it reads average room temperature. I can even pull it from the enclosure and it notices fairly quickly the temp change.

Under operational use (let’s say the bench) I can watch temps rise and fall according to throttle and brake. Takes about a second for values to change but they change accordingly.

1 Like

Great, thanks.
For everyone else…the biggest issue with thermistors is typically not their base accuracy but their slow response time. That’s what can lead to temp readings that are much too low when the temps are changing relatively quickly, when accelerating for example. Some thermistors have response times over a minute. They start to respond almost instantly but take a very long time to settle at the actual temp.

@J0ker, glad that you are not seeing this and that your thermistors reach the true temp quickly.

2 Likes

Vat de fak is thees

5 Likes