The battery builders club

is there a clear winner best practice type thing when it comes to connecting the balance leads to a brick pack?

I am leaning towards an ugly bastardized version of what Skyart did here.

soldering the leads to the nickel between the phases.

what is up with doing separate little tabs?
do those just get welded to the main nickel?

I like how kind of out of the way they are.

2 Likes

What enclosure are you using? Pictures?

1 Like

junction box.
room on top for the smart BMS.
where I plan on putting it.

room on the sides …
no room on the ends…

2 Likes

Could go side and use the tab method.

Are you using precut nickle? If not, cut your parallel strips a tad longer to fold over to the side for balance wires.

3 Likes

this is a neat idea.

1 Like

Works like a charm.

Kind of hard to see them in places but you get it.

3 Likes

Where are your fishpaper rings on the positive side?:face_with_raised_eyebrow::grin:

1 Like

They weren’t put on. This was a personal battery that was rushed to be built in time for a trip. It’s been pulled from the build as I got better quality cells for a new battery for it.

1 Like

Next, not a jab but aren’t the slots supposed to align with the terminals?

1 Like

So originally it was ladder style but it was intended for cells that were in holders. So I cut the center out and made strips. Again, rushed build so used what I had @ the time. Its since been put in another personal build and still running strong. Has close to 1000km and havent had to maintenance anything on it.

Disclaimer, I dont advice building in that manner unless you understand the risk. Always always always abide by battery building standards.

2 Likes

thickass rails there

1 Like

Anyone know what these little bits of metal could be from? They don’t wipe off, and they were sitting under the insulation ring on my model 3 cells. There’s also a bittery sort of chemical smell when I take off the wrap. This is the second cell I’ve noticed that is like this, and I think Ive got some more that are this way too.

@Battery_Mooch perhaps you could weigh in?

2 Likes

That’s the red flag. Take extra precaution with said cells. Just dont build with them.

3 Likes

Could possibly be slag from a blow through.

2 Likes

The odd part about this is that it’s only apparent when you open up the shrink, which leads me to believe (and hope) maybe it was some cleaning agent that left the smell, and just never left once it was shrink wrapped.

On another note, they also haven’t changed voltage really for the couple of months they’ve been sitting around (still 3.70-3.71). Though ik this doesn’t automatically mean it’s safe, as they’ll still ‘wear’ just from sitting around.

like from a spot weld?

Yes. Happens when you dont put enough pressure to make cell top and nickle touch before welding.

Are you in unwrapping said damaged cells or all of them? Getting @, take the wrap off some that show no issues and see if you get the same smell.

1 Like

But unless they replace the center caps (is that even possible), those havent been welded to from the looks.

1 Like

Same smell off ones without that little metal nub. Though oddly enough the smell is gone from the time I posted the pictures until now. Maybe it’s the shrink wrap causing it? Or whatever is causing the smell just dissipated?

And yeah, I don’t believe these should have been welded yet.

Pics from a cell without the metal nub on it

There’s also some gunk in that little crevice that I scooped out with using a toothpick. I think this one was a little dirty?

1 Like

I am looking for recommendation on shrink wrap for 18650

When you rewrap cells, is there a good kind of shrink wrap to buy?

I can link what I use if I can find the link.

Found it

1 Like