The battery builders club

Yep, sickly, sweet, very potent/overpowering.

Its an unmistakeable smell.

But any ooze seems like bad ooze to me :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

No doubt.

Could it be that there was a gap between the nickel and cell and the spark could have blown a hole?

I didnā€™t notice it, might be just me tho

1 Like

Very possible. What shape was the cell in before re-welding?

1 Like

Spot welding question how to I keep the cell from leaking?

Iā€™ve purposely damaged bad lipos just to know what they do smell like. That way you know the smell. It being an unmistakable smell is spot on.

@Tamatoa if you are able to vent a cell safely outside, I strongly recommend doing so you are familiar with the smell. Itā€™s a lovely yet deadly smell.

By the way, PSA, I do not recommend breathing the toxic fumes from a comprised cell of any kind. But you do youā€¦

:kissing_closed_eyes::wink:

3 Likes

Itā€™s not suppose to leak in the first placeā€¦

Get it out of your house and outside in a hole or a bucket of sand/dirt.

2 Likes

Hmm why are you so worried it just leaks nothing dangerous I have gloves on. I weld them fully discharged.

Again, cells arent suppose to leak @ all.

Would you like an expert opinion? @Battery_Mooch

Oh really I must be doing something wrong is tig welding safe on these cells?

No lmao! Youā€™re creating may too much heat on the cell and its rupturing the cell.

Well these are recycled cells and I only have welding equipment. Iā€™ll try the blow torch.

1 Like

Please video any further experiments and report back.

Glob I hope youā€™re a troll lmao

4 Likes

Nothing interesting is going to happen the cells at a flat charge. F it Iā€™ll just solder them I have a 90watt iron and leaded solder.

Iā€™m tempted to believe youā€™re trolling, but if you arenā€™t and you canā€™t be bothered to get a spot welder, good luck. Have the fire dept on speed dial.

Soldering heats up the cells too much, which can cause them to degrade at best.

There are reclaimed vtc5ā€™s so no worries on the degrading fire yeah I learned my lesson from the last time do not weld fully charged cells. Once they are flat they just leak no fire.

Iā€™m doing this in a shop so if all hell breaks loose I can beat the fire with some spare pipes and metal till it submits.

1 Like

Hey man, I can sell you a descent spot welder for around $100. Please donā€™t try soldering or welding the cells.

1 Like

He be trolling, show me what you got for 100$

2 Likes

I think they were like new/good, but like I posted yesterday, I may have pushed the probes too hard and made dents during initial welding

2 Likes

Iā€™m just experimenting with these I got one of them spot welders on order to do it proper with New Molie cells. Iā€™m a welder by trade so thought I would try and make structural components out these junk cells as for the hell of it. I got one 12s8p pack that looks like a skateboard only non battery part is the bms the trucks and some metal sheeting to keep it stiff. Rand it a few times works fine.