The battery builders club

I’m sorry guys if this is in the wrong place to ask, but is there anyone in the Orange County (CA) area that can take a look at a battery for me?

It’s a TB 12s4p… it shuts off if you squeeze it just right. I opened it up and I wasn’t super impressed with what I saw. I can’t say that I trust it…

1 Like

I’m in NorCal if you can’t find anybody closer.

1 Like

FWIW, my welds got better 10 fold when I just hooked up the welder directly to the battery.

1 Like

someone mentioned that before but I didn’t follow that recommendation then, I will try it next time I use the welder.

1 Like

Is it safe to discharge a cell a 5 amps? I am using a hobby charger to bring the cells to the same voltage as the rest of the pack to rebuild the P-group

Seeing as you’ll probably draw more than that in the board, I’d say yeah.

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking but I am dumb so I don’t usually know if i am right :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Everyday my friend. Every damn day lol.

1 Like

:eyes:

4 Likes

Hello guys, I am now working on the second version of my battery module system. I was wandering if there would be any 12S bms that is charge only, no balance connection. This is because I was planning to balance the packs individually (4S packs) and have a bms for the charge/discharge that handles the whole 12S series connection.

I have an idea! Imagine if we took the footpads and rotated them 90 degrees and then made a big as box in the middle. Oh wait…

I always re-weld any spots that look less than optimal. I usually reverse the polarity while doing it (swap the red and black probe position) because I find that I typically get a slightly stronger weld on one or the other.

The biggest thing for me was my power connections…

Edit: @TheBoardGarage summed it up nicely.

I’m using the sequre clone welder FYI.

@Tamatoa I mention mounting the welder to the battery in my video, and I think you’ll find the welding order pattern very helpful.

Also, as for discharging to get the voltage in line with other cells, you’ll likely find more bounce back at 5 amps than you would at a slower rate. It’ll work perfectly fine, but chances are you’ll have to add the load back to the cell when when to voltage creeps back up. If you’re going for precision at all, I’d put a load of an amp or less on it and get it done in one go.

3 Likes

Indeed you did, subscribed and liked :wink:

I tried discharging at more than 1 Amp and it didn’t work out. It was best to use lower than 1 Amp as you mentioned.

2 Likes

After watching the whole video 1 more time I kinda want a kweld.:slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

What are the rules to building a dual battery pack for an esk8 system? A second battery I can add on top of the board when I want to extend my range.

Thanks,

2 Likes

Make sure voltages between both packs are the same voltage before connecting in parallel.

Maybe a loop key for whole system or on each battery for redundancy.

All I can think of

4 Likes

best/only really simple good way I can think of is you want the internal and external packs to be identical.

say 12S4P in the deck and 12S4P on top.

Why would they need to be identical? As long as they are they same voltage there’s not much of an issue

3 Likes

not need, but if you were looking for a way to do it properly that would be my advice.

hmm ok yeah bad wording. I mean the most proper way if you wanted very high performance.