The battery builders club

the on/off is the " activate :arrow_up:"

1 Like

Plug the pack in to charge. Starts it up from full shutdown.

1 Like

Yes I know. Thats how I’ve turned it on. I was hoping there was an easier way so I don’t have to carry around that wire and a raw cell. I think I’ll do this.

1 Like

a simple switch should do the job tho as in no need of any external power, well on my 7s-20s that should be the case

1 Like

That’s good to know. If I want to be able to check my battery halfway between the trip I guess I’ll need to make my own switch to turn it on but at least when I get home to charge I don’t have to open up my case every time just to get a cell to the BMS for the BL to work and check the battery.

Yeah I could make it manual but I also need a power source. Arduino is already there and connected with my remote for all my lights.
It’s very simple to tell one button (or combination) to tell an output pin to go high (aka output 5v) for 2 seconds.

1 Like

That’s the one I’ve got.

1 Like

I have one question. The activation instruction says 3-5V to activate. Since I’ll be using the arduino digital output idk yet if it’s exactly 5.0V. If it’s 5.1V or even 6V will the BMS be okay?

Just throw a diode in series to drop it down a bit.

2 Likes

man honestly I don’t know, have you contacted the supplier and/or Ant BMS for help ? thats probably your best bet

1 Like

I think that’s the design tbh. I think it’s the automatic standby setting that turns of after 180s to put it to sleep. I could change that setting to always on but I think the BMS would use too much power. I’d rather make a switch. Plus customer support from china isn’t great

1 Like

Are you not discharging through it? What was the point of such a large BMS to bypass?

1 Like

I’m discharging the accessories ~ 25A max. I was on the fence for a long time about esc discharge but people on here convinced me. But before I ordered the bms, the low Amp rated version was about the same size for this smart 16s bms so it’s no trouble.

1 Like

Wait so it will automatically turn on from standby mode when I’m discharging through it? I’ll just need to turn on a light or something and I can connect with the app?

1 Like

If it’s been shut down you can’t discharge from it. So it has to be on to power anything, accessory or ESC that you need powered.

1 Like

It’s not shutdown just in standby. There’s one small led that flashes every few seconds. There’s a seperate led on the other side that I think relates to bluetooth communication. Its no longer on (when in standby) so I should be good to discharge from it then have it switch from standby and connect with the app? I’ll have one of my accessories ready soon to plug in and see…

I think it’s set to 180s ATM

Yeah standby should be where it sits the majority of the time as far as I know. That’s how the ebike I built with one of those is being used. I wondered if you could start it up from regen current but we weren’t able to with the bike.

1 Like

But it will start up from discharge right? Not just charge?

No, only charge or the cell trick. Which also I theorize you could put on a switch to the first parallel group.

1 Like

:sob: Ok I’ll be making an output connection from my arduino then.