The battery builders club

Tried making a BMS charger with an LLT Smart BMS, with the following wire diagram, but I got a whining noise and smoke from the BMS. Plugged it first to charger, then battery leads, then balance wires, where it started smoking. Looks like some discoloration on two of what looks like resistors. What went wrong, and how screwed am I?

1 Like

Why did you plug it into the charger before plugging in the balance leads?

Are you 100% certain your balance leads were all in the right order?

It’s an external BMS, so I have to plug in the battery and balance leads at the same time, so order of operations should be Charger > Battery > Balance.

Pretty sure, the only place where it might have gone wrong is if the two 6Ses got flipped, but I’m not sure on that part. Continuity looked fine, with no shorts anywhere.

Hm. Well I definitely think that the order of operations should be as it would be when attaching to a traditional battery

So, battery, balance leads, and then charger.

Plugging in the charger first seems like a bad idea

1 Like

Also, normally if they were out of order, one of the balance transistors would have blown but it looks like you blew something else

Whoops yeah you’re right about that, forgot about the inrush. Still, that shouldn’t kill the BMS right? It seemed fine until I connected the balance wires.

1 Like

Unsure - I wouldn’t try it though so couldn’t tell ya haha

I would check your balance wire order again. Remember, it should always count up in succession, according to BMS documentation. Typically it counts up from the negative, ending with the final S group as the positive lead

1 Like

K I’ll double check again. Do you think the BMS is dead? Haven’t attempted to plug it back in yet.

Could be, it looks like that one resistor is burned, but hard to say

1 Like

how you connected the leads
it happened to me too because i followed a wrong wiring diagram on the llt homepage
first (black) to bat- then next (white) to the first positive then all following leads to positive till you reach the last (red) one which goes to bat+
In my wiring diagram i uses the first (white) lead was missing so i attached i to the 2nd positive which delivered too much V to the bms => noise and smoky

20210723_121052

Disconnect 1, connect 2. Am I guessing correctly that you were using 2x 6s packs?

@frankthedragon

1 Like

Yep they’re 2 6S packs. Huh I had this diagram checked here before I started, guess it got missed.

1 Like

If I were you I’d use 2 6s BMS, much safer anyway.

Yeah finally battery is done

3 Likes

I can’t get my METR to pair to an LTT, suggestions?

2 Likes

Throw some fish paper over those balance leads before you shrink that wrap

2 Likes

How would that work with a single 12S charger? The whole reason I went this route is because charging single batteries took too long (~24 hours). This way, I can cut down charging down to just under 2 hours.

Use the BMS only for balancing and bypass charging. Thats how I have it for my 6s lipos, two small balance boards and the rest handles the charger. You obv. need to have voltage cutoffs handled otherwise, by the Vesc and the charger.

Sometimes I forget to close the LLT app and the Metr can’t connect since the XiaoxiangBMS app is still paired to the BMS.

3 Likes

Making a harness is the easiest and cheapest way to charge 2 6s packs.

7 Likes