The battery builders club

Hey sorry boys another query for u. I had measured individual cells ane P-groups prior to constructing my pack and thought all of my p-groups measured either 3.71 or 3.72. Now that I have the bms connected it looks like my mutlimeter was rounding up for several of the p-groups. Are these voltages too far apart for the bms to balance?

1 Like

nah this is good. this is what one of my packs looks like and it balances it to some extent

3 Likes

Dope. Thx

Do you mean “we” in the royal sense? I’m still on the paper ones and haven’t worn them out yet. Or maybe they’ve just improved my grip strength and have indeed worn out.

I’ll check those heavier duty ones out though. They look cool. :+1:

2 Likes

Clip wires to remove connector. Tap wires together to check if battery is still good. Little sparks show that your AA batteries are good.

For Harbulary batteries, consult with a raccoon.

3 Likes

No, he mean “we” as in “all three of the 8-year-olds stacked up under a trench coat that identifies as “Joey”” :joy:

6 Likes

Is it still reccomend to read this entire thing? I’m about ten percent of the way through and I really wanna jus start building my battery already lol. Fifteen k posts. Smh… this batter better come out fucking perfect!

1 Like

You would hope, right? Ive seen plenty of folks who claim to have read the whole thing and then churned out a pretty sketchy battery lol. It’s less about the reading and more about the comprehending and absorbing of the info, if you know what I mean.

Lithium batteries are dangerous as fuck, and esk8 is a really punishing environment for any equipment, batteries included. It’s really easy to accidentally make a small mistake that can result in a very bad outcome. House fires have been started. Boards have been burned to the ground. I firmly believe that every hour you spend researching how to do this safely is an hour well spent. There’s no such thing as too much reading when it comes to batteries.

I dont mean to come across rude, by the way. I just think that we dont have enough of a focus on battery safety on this forum.

4 Likes

It’s a lot of shit to digest for sure. I did about 4 months of reading and other research before diving in and still almost shorted my first pack. My advice would be to read for at least a month before attempting your first pack. And run your plans and wiring diagrams by the experienced builders here before you start. It also helps immensely if you know how to solder. If you don’t, you def have to learn that shit competently before you take a stab.

2 Likes

:flushed:

2 Likes

In the new lacroix boards there are wires coming off the P- on the LLT… what are they for @Flasher ?

2 Likes

In all fairness, this is an absolute cunt of a thread to actually learn from… if only somebody had the time to write up a detailed esk8 battery build tutorial :unamused:

5 Likes

You’ll have to ask @Flashgod224

That’s one of my projects for this summer. I’ve been writing out a video series, scripting it out in pieces.

Not likely to be a huge hit on the channel, but something important nonetheless.

4 Likes

@Lee_Wright lol. Watching a video and what do I see?

2 Likes

Havin some trouble dialing in my joules for .2mm x 30mm nickel on a 2170. I’m up at 50-55 joules which seems ridiculously high to me and I’m starting to get some tearing of the nickel. On a Kweld. Is this typical? I’ve only ever welded wirh 0.15.

1 Like

Yep, thats bang on where i’m at with 1300A welds on kweld for 0.2.

Hence why i dont like 0.2 :rofl:

3 Likes

Not dissing videos at all, an I’m sure you’ll put together something great, but I myself found it hard to learn from videos alone.

There is a lot to be said for concise text and photos.

2 Likes

I can tell how hot you are for me, Al. One of these days your persistence will pay off :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I did 2x AWG10 in to a XT150 (it’s tight like doing AWG8 in a XT90) had to strip almost 2” twist them to getter then slide heat shrink over the exposed copper

It’s not the soldering that’s the issue it’s the 2 cables side by side make a odd shape that’s hard to get the cap on. The cap on a XT150/250 holeds the conector together. unlike a XT30/60/90 were you can cut the devideres to make a oblong hole. Squar peg round hole issue