The battery builders club

1 Like

Oooooooooof

2 Likes

How do those two P42A cells compare visually without the wrap? Use a magnifier if they look similar.

Here are genuine P42A photos: Bench Retest Results: Molicel P42A 4000mAh 21700...beats 40T, one of the best batteries available | E-Cigarette Forum

2 Likes

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, the risks of using an old cell are unknown and unquantifiable. I tested some 2018-dated P42A’s last year and they performed essentially the same as 2020 cells. This does not mean all 2 year old, or older, cells will do the same though.

For me personally anything over a year old is a problem but I’ve received and used two year old cells lots of times and haven’t noticed any major issues. YMMV.

Three year old cells is starting to get silly IMO but I think there are still quantities of 2018-dated Molicels in vendor stock. Who knows when they’ll restock. I don’t feel this way because of any performance or safety issues I can prove. I just feel this way because…well…just because I like getting newly manufactured cells.

4 Likes

So real cell is always on the right (from 18650battstore).

The cans look identical. The font for the printing is identical, the bottom of the can looks like it turns glossy at the pole on both. Positive poles look identical. Texture looks and feels the same.

Real cell printing:

The wrap itself is different. Which worries me. The known real cell has a glossier finish to the wrap, and didn’t tear as easily. It kind of stretched for a bit before it tore.

The new cell kind of just tore.

2 Likes

What a detail to need to check! I can confirm the couple P42A I have unwrapped from bulk battery the insulation ring just fell off.

1 Like

Yes, the ring from the known real cell just fell off when I unsheathed it.

2 Likes

Do you have a IR meter?

Would be interesting to see mooch test the fake cell, and see if it is actually fake or just an older cell with a different insualting ring application method

Check underneath the top contact. Is the surface of the venting disk under the contact identical for the two cells?

It shows up tomorrow.

1 Like

Molicel does not use self-adhesive rings. :slightly_smiling_face:
Those are typically used when the rings are being hand applied and not by machine.

1 Like

Which meter?

1 Like

It feels like they’re not safe to put in a pack with a high level of confidence. Especially not for another person.

I subject myself to plenty of risks, but I’m not entirely fine subjecting someone else to the same.

2 Likes

If you can measure the IR and do a capacity test, that should be a pretty good indication. Do you have a dummy load right now? charge both the batteries and put a 10/20a load and see what voltage sag you get.

Yeah. It feels like all the tests you will ever do can only really tell you if they are 100% fake but never really tell you if they are 100% real. Annoying.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll rig my Kunkin up to do that. First I’ll throw them in my charger and check capacity and IR. It’s a VC8 so it should give me some information.

2 Likes

If the venting disks for the two cells looks identical across its entire surface then you might have two genuine P42A’s.

But, in my opinion those M&A cells are rewrapped P42A’s. This could mean they were either purchased unwrapped or that they were early samples and rewrapped to hide that fact. Either way I have no idea when they were made or what internal condition they are in.

There’s no way those are authorized cells wrapped by Molicel in my opinion. None of the major manufacturers have ever used self-adhesive top insulating rings and never will as they come in sheets and can’t be used in high speed assembly lines.

5 Likes